Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain with no additional calories, but heavier lifting, possible? page

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Trying hard to figure out what happened and next steps, if any. Went to the doctor and got the news that I gained 15 pounds in 1.5 years. Please keep in mind that 15 pounds is 15 pounds of something, not all fat. I know it isn't all muscle, but not all fat either. Dr. mentioned that by looking at me she had no idea where I "put it" (I was underweight before, so could have used an add. 5 pounds, but not so sure about the 15!). Nothing has changed except my exercise routine. I eat the same amount of calories, following the PB. The only thing that has changed is that I have begun training as a power lifter and have ADDED this to the workout regime, so not deducting from what I have done before. Is it possible for me to actually gain that much weight (be it muscle, fat, or most likely combination) without eating more just based on that type of workout? I ask because Dr. now wants me to see an endocrinologist and I don't know how necessary it is. I also haven't had a period in 2 years which I always just associated with how hard I work out. I know that they are going to try and pump me full of fake hormones. Anyone else experience an obscene amount of muscle mass in a short time with exercise change?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Ohhh, yes. I've put on 7 lbs of muscle in the past 5 months. I'm visibly leaner than ever, but way heavier. No change in typical caloric intake.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Bone density?

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

I'm assuming the doc wants you to go to an endocrinologist because of your missed periods. Wouldn't hurt to have the tests to make sure it's nothing serious. They can't force you to take the medication but at least you can do it from an informed standpoint.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Definitely possible. I think it's your body just using the fuel more efficiently.

That being said, are you having any other symptoms of thyroid disorder? Thinning hair, brittle nails, sallow skin, heart palpitations, inexplicable mood swings, depression? Personally I'd get my thyroid checked over losing my period for more than a few months. Hyperthyroidism can be a bitch. (I had textbook Graves' Disease and did quite a bit of damage to my body before it was caught.)

The thyroid controls nearly all of the body's hormones so I'd want to know if it was in good working order or not. If you get tested there's nothing that says you'll register positive for a problem. If you do have a problem you can do your own research into the meds.

Good to know, especially coming from the girls. Yeah, I will get the blood tests, no problem there. Part of the issue was she sent me home with progesterone without even performing the tests first!

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

Bone density? </blockquote>

Now there&#39;s an interesting thought. It would be great to know how much changed there wouldn&#39;t it?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Vick is offline Senior Member

My trainer tried to equate it to building a house. He said that you can&#39;t just swing a hammer and build a house, you need the materials. Hence, you can&#39;t build muscle without consuming extra calories, he said it isn&#39;t possible.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Yeah, but it&#39;s not like you weren&#39;t eating anything. I&#39;d venture a guess that you are simply using food more efficiently now -- for energy & muscle building instead of fat storage -- and wasting less.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast