Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Anyone experienced Seborrhoeic dermatitis? page

  1. #1
    NicoleP's Avatar
    NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampstead NC
    Posts
    380

    Anyone experienced Seborrhoeic dermatitis?

    Shop Now
    I found out I have this a few months ago. I was given a topical to treat my scalp and was told to use T-Sal. The T-Sal shampoo strips the color from my hair and nothing seems to be working anyway. It also makes it flat and impossible to style. I washed my hair earlier tonight and my scalp started flaking off while I was blow drying! It really isn't noticeable yet, but its starting to move into my ears now and can be uncomfortable.

    There could be many things that are causing this, but it has gotten worse since going primal which makes no sense. I think that there is something else causing the outbreak and am curious if anyone has treated this condition (or a similar condition) with natural treatments. If so, what did you do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,011
    I have dry scalp on and off; currently going through an outbreak of extremely dry scalp and forehead, and hands. I haven't narrowed the cause down to anything specific, but started using coconut oil as a moisturizer this evening. When my scalp is unbearable, I use T-Gel. I think what I experience is an allergic reaction to something and a general inflammation marker. Not sure if its food, chemical, bacterial, or airborne, or a combination. I just need to figure out what the root is but it's difficult.

    Avoid using the hair dryer. Air-dry as much as you can. The dryer will make it worse. By the way, you can use coconut oil as a conditioner in your hair. Try massaging a bit into your scalp.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  3. #3
    NicoleP's Avatar
    NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampstead NC
    Posts
    380
    Thanks for the reply. I thought I just had dandruf, but it turned out to be more than that. The hair dryer I used blows pretty cool air even on the warm settings. I am not sure how I could do without that because my hair just dries all funky. I usually wait until its almost dry anyway. Does the coconut oil make your hair feel greasy or anything?

    I am thinking I might try teatree oil. I am at a loss.

  4. #4
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    I have a combination of seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis on my scalp. Mine got much worse when I first went primal. I changed a few things which have reduced it by 95%. I eliminated nuts from my diet (I had already eliminated nightshades, eggs, and dairy which didn't help). I stopped using shampoo. The first time I tried this a couple years ago was a total disaster and made my scalp beyond horrible. This time I tried it after going primal and giving up nuts and it has worked well. The last thing I did was a get a shower water filter to reduce the chlorine during showers.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  5. #5
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I thought I just had dandruf, but it turned out to be more than that. The hair dryer I used blows pretty cool air even on the warm settings. I am not sure how I could do without that because my hair just dries all funky. I usually wait until its almost dry anyway. Does the coconut oil make your hair feel greasy or anything?

    I am thinking I might try teatree oil. I am at a loss.
    I applied a thin layer of coconut oil to my forehead around my hairline tonight; use just a little bit to see how it feels, and be sure to spread it evenly. The oil I have on my face doesn't feel greasy unless I touch it. It doesn't feel like a heavy commercial moisturizer or sunblock, it's actually unnoticeable which is great. I can't stand a greasy head or face!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  6. #6
    NicoleP's Avatar
    NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampstead NC
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I have a combination of seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis on my scalp. Mine got much worse when I first went primal. I changed a few things which have reduced it by 95%. I eliminated nuts from my diet (I had already eliminated nightshades, eggs, and dairy which didn't help). I stopped using shampoo. The first time I tried this a couple years ago was a total disaster and made my scalp beyond horrible. This time I tried it after going primal and giving up nuts and it has worked well. The last thing I did was a get a shower water filter to reduce the chlorine during showers.
    Damn, I didn't even think about nuts. I have well water so I am sure that isn't helping me. I may have to try the shower filter as well. I'm not sure how well I would do not using shampoo or styling products. I know it would look horrible since I have very fine hair.

    I read something about mixing teatree oil with aloe vera gel and leaving it on for about 30 minutes. I need to find a good shampoo or line of styling products for people with dandruff. This totally pisses me off.

  7. #7
    NicoleP's Avatar
    NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampstead NC
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I applied a thin layer of coconut oil to my forehead around my hairline tonight; use just a little bit to see how it feels, and be sure to spread it evenly. The oil I have on my face doesn't feel greasy unless I touch it. It doesn't feel like a heavy commercial moisturizer or sunblock, it's actually unnoticeable which is great. I can't stand a greasy head or face!
    I am going to try the coconut oil after the teatree treatment. It can't be that much of a stretch because I use a product made of macadamia nut oil to control frizz.

  8. #8
    lssanjose's Avatar
    lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I have a combination of seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis on my scalp. Mine got much worse when I first went primal. I changed a few things which have reduced it by 95%. I eliminated nuts from my diet (I had already eliminated nightshades, eggs, and dairy which didn't help). I stopped using shampoo. The first time I tried this a couple years ago was a total disaster and made my scalp beyond horrible. This time I tried it after going primal and giving up nuts and it has worked well. The last thing I did was a get a shower water filter to reduce the chlorine during showers.
    Something I may want to look into. I came down with a different type of dermatitis. I don't want to live off of antihistamines, either.

  9. #9
    GrokON's Avatar
    GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    315
    The first thing to realize is that it is a manifestation of inflammation, which means SOMETHING you're eating or doing is not working for you. Find out what it is, and you've got the problem taken care of. Nuts are a good suggestion. Omega 6's from other sources in general are a trigger for me. Wheat is an absolute NEVER CAN HAVE no-no. There's no such thing as a "cheat day" with wheat unless I want to pay for it for a month.

    Otherwise, I'm doing well since going very clean primal, and intermittent fasting quite a bit.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

    "Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

  10. #10
    lssanjose's Avatar
    lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    The first thing to realize is that it is a manifestation of inflammation, which means SOMETHING you're eating or doing is not working for you. Find out what it is, and you've got the problem taken care of. Nuts are a good suggestion. Omega 6's from other sources in general are a trigger for me. Wheat is an absolute NEVER CAN HAVE no-no. There's no such thing as a "cheat day" with wheat unless I want to pay for it for a month.

    Otherwise, I'm doing well since going very clean primal, and intermittent fasting quite a bit.
    The punishment is that long? Geez, no wonder why I keep breaking out, even after some cookies...and the rest of my time, I've been paleo..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •