Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh no! I had a beer! page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

Oh no! I had a beer!

I started eating mostly primal about 3 weeks ago, except for the occasional beer. Then 2 weeks ago I cut out the beer so I was totally grain-free. But, tonight, Friday night and all, I succumbed to an offer of my most favorite beer of all! Only 2 weeks of 100% grain-free and I blew it on a beer! But ... oh, it was soooo good.
    My reason for wanting to go 100% grain-free was to go 100% gluten-free and see if some of my health issues resolve.
    How bad is beer, really, gluten-wise? I've read conflicting articles. Some say it does contain a significant amount of gluten since it's made from grain. Others say that, although it's made from grain, pretty much all the gluten is destroyed during the brewing process. (Gluten is, after all, a protein, and if you look up the nutritional information of beer most have 0 grams of protein.) Other articles say beer does have gluten but in insignificant amounts unless you have Celiac disease, in which case you can't tolerate even a molecule.
    So, does a beer really break my gluten-free streak or not?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Its terrible ....if you only had one

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I think the term hell in a handbasket applies here...lol
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Tomorrow is St. Patty's Day. I won't drink one beer but I may drink ten. And I won't feel bad for doing it at all.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I drank 4 pints tonight and tomorrow will nigh be any different. After my 5k I see many a pint offered up to St. Patty.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    omg, I'm about to eat some frosting!! yes, there is gluten in beer, and it is enough to make a difference. however, if you haven't had gluten in 3 weeks and you've noticed no changes, maybe it just doesn't have much of an effect on you. still good to avoid it, but don't stress about it. might as well have a few tomorrow too.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    It's also important to note that fermented gluten =/= regular gluten. It's significantly less harmful. Yes, for very sensitive people, it's still a problem, but the gluten in beer doesn't wreck your intestines to the same degree as the gluten in non-fermented whole wheat bread. It's also minus the soybean oil, xanthan gum, lecithin and all kinds of other nasty stuff typically found in store-bought bread. I usually keep my beer drinking to once or twice a month and so far I've been doing pretty well. YMMV.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    It's just one beer, chalk it up as part of your 20%; and then, maybe the St Patrick's drinking will be added into the 20%, too.

emerson is offline Member
    Drink cider; it's tasty and gluten free.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been feeling better eating primal. But I can't say it's because of being gluten-free or just because I'm eating unprocessed whole foods and healthy vegetables. I guess tomorrow, in the beer aftermath, I'll know more.
    Oh, and I forgot it was St. Patty's day tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me. I guess I'll have to wait one more day to find out if I feel better without beer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast