Thread: I Really Need Help page

CharleyGnarlyP290 is offline Junior Member

I Really Need Help

Shop Now
    I discovered this website a little over a year ago. I really dig it and have managed to lose lose quite a bit of weight. I can't say that I am totally primal in my diet (yet) but really try to adhere to the stuff I have read on MDA.
    Here is my deal and why I can't say that I am totally primal yet. I start the day out great. Eggs, for breakfast, sometimes as an omelet with veggies in it, sometimes scrambled with veggies. IF I have a mid morning snack, it is usually some almonds, or a smallish salad.
    For lunch it is usually a big salad with a bunch of stuff in it,including meat of some kind.
    But, after that I fall apart. I really crave stuff I shouldn't eat. Pasta sometimes, pizza sometimes, whatever. But it seems to be a real craving. Like I am really hungry, or lacking something.
    Is is physiological, or could it be psychological.
    I need some useful input here.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Since I have the same problem, I'd say it's a little bit of both. Physiological if you had recently fed that craving - like if you gave in and had a candy bar the day before. The body thinks it's lacking a nutrient when it's missing sugar after being used to it being provided.

However, it could also be psychological, especially if you've had a habit of eating sweets or other things in the afternoons. In which case you'll need to break the cycle. Take a walk or have a cup of hot tea. Create a new afternoon ritual to replace the old ritual of sugary snacks.

I have found that if I prevent myself from caving, I can go a long time without sugar/snacks/"garbage gut foods". But once I give in, I'm in for the fight of my life all over again. I say break the cycle and create a new afternoon ritual if you can to break the mental ties to foods you are currently craving in the afternoons.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

maclynne is offline Junior Member
    well, I am super new at this primal thing so I don't know enough about that to give you any tips. From things I have read, I think we tend to crave carbs in the afternoon/ evening, because our serotonin levels are dropping.
    Last edited by maclynne; 03-16-2012 at 07:04 PM.

maclynne is offline Junior Member
    Here's somethings about serotonin from MDA
    10 Quick Tips to Boost Your Serotonin | Mark's Daily Apple

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Are you including a good amount of healthy fat in that lunch?
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharleyGnarlyP290 View Post
    IF I have a mid morning snack, it is usually some almonds, or a smallish salad.
    For lunch it is usually a big salad with a bunch of stuff in it,including meat of some kind.
    But, after that I fall apart. I really crave stuff I shouldn't eat. Pasta sometimes, pizza sometimes, whatever. But it seems to be a real craving. Like I am really hungry, or lacking something.
    Is is physiological, or could it be psychological.
    I need some useful input here.
    Why the mid morning snack?
    Describe your hunger.
    Maybe have more at breakfast. A fruit or more veggies. What works for me is eggs/ground beef/veggies + 1 serving of fruit. I am satisfied for 5 hrs or so and I'm losing weight and not craving much.