Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's got experience with pregnenolone or proteolytic enzymes? page

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

Who's got experience with pregnenolone or proteolytic enzymes?

Shop Now
    I tried searching the forum archives for these, and while the names popped up here and there, I couldn't find much concrete info.

My husband and I already tried taking the pregnenolone for a week, and I just ordered proteolytic enzymes. We've both got autoimmune disorders with some KILLER inflammation that doesn't seem to respond in the slightest to ANY diet changes.

I'm looking for anyone with personal experience with either item. I've found really conflicting info about pregnenolone - some research says 50-100 mg is super, while other sources say no more than 1-5mg daily. What level do you use? Do you take 'hormone holidays', if so, how do you structure these? (3 days on, 4 days off, 3 weeks on, 1 week off, etc). If you've used proteolytic enzymes, what dosage did you use? How did your inflammation respond, etc...

Also, anyone experience side effects? Are the sdie effects doage related?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    No personal experience, but a close friend had it throw them into the deepest, darkest put of depression they could imagine at a very low dose, so be careful. I hope it helps you.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    I've been taking proteolytic enzymes for the past 6-7 months, don't really know why, just thought I'd give them a try over the fall and winter period to see if they would help my osteoarthritis. Here are the ones I take:

1. Doctor's Best, Best High Potency Serrapeptase, 120,000 SPUs, 90 Enteric Coated Veggie Caps - iHerb.com
    2. Doctor's Best, Best Nattokinase, 2,000 FUs, 90 Veggie Caps - iHerb.com
    3. Now Foods, Bromelain, 415 mg, 180 Tablets - iHerb.com

I take 3x1 tablets of both the Nattokinase and Serrapeptase and 3x2 tablets of the Bromelain. This is a combination that is recommended in a forum I sometimes read (it is in Bulgarian, sorry ), it has been tested and some members have found it helpful, which is why they recommend such a high dosage. As for my own experience, I don't really know what to say... I started taking the enzymes at the end of August or maybe early September. At the same time I also started supplementing with fish oil and vitamin D3. Earlier I had started taking glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, hyaluronic acid and MSM plus hydrolyzed collagen. And on October 2nd I went primal, which meant cutting down my carb consumption just a little bit (I was rather low carb already), giving up gluten grains (I eat white rice on rare occasions) and increasing my fat and protein consumption. I also changed my workouts from chronic cardio to what Mark recommends (slow movement, LHT and sprinting). The result is this fall and winter season has been a whole lot better for me in terms of knee pain and range of movement than last year's. I don't know which one of all the things I do has helped the most, probably all of them have helped some. But I am inclined to think the proteolytic enzymes have played hardly any part in the process... I don't know why I think that. I am going to be taking them for one more month starting tomorrow and then I am planning to discontinue them and see how things go for me without them.

Thanks - my husband has psoriatic arthiris in his knees (and he's only 28, sheesh!) When he gets flare ups, he's literally paralyzed for months. He's been paleo for a long time, and we've tried systematically removing everything that could be a problem with no results at all. He can be fine eating nightshades, eating gluten and dairy and corn (not that he does this often) and then 6 months later eating none of that stuff he's crippled. Fish oil does nothing, glucosamine chondroitin does nothing, and he hasn't done anything remotely cardio in years.

I'd be curious to know how you feel after discontinuing them next month - keep me posted!

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Hi, BestBetter! I am sorry to hear about your husband's arthritis My mom has had psoriatic arthritis for over 20 years now... She started taking the enzymes at the time I did. She has also been supplementing with vitamin D3 (5000 IU/day) and fish oil (3 g/day) and takes curcumin and boswellia too, just like I do. She went primal with me too She did feel a lot better for a couple of months afterwards. We don't know what helped in her case, I am inclined to attribute it to the "diet", she thinks it may have been the enzymes. But then at the end of January the weather here in Bulgaria got awful (we had had a mild winter before that), with very low temperatures and a lot of snow, and this lasted longer than in previous winters. Now it is suddenly quite warm, almost summer, which is also very atypical. And my mom's arthritis symptoms got worse with the weather She is generally affected by changes in weather. I do hope she gets better as the weather stabilizes...

I wish you and your husband good luck!

xntrik is offline Member
    I started taking Dr. Wong's "Zymessence" enzyme formula several years ago. I'd been waking up with cold tingly arms and hands, meaning that the weight of my body pushing into my shoulders was cutting off circulation. After only a couple months on Zymessence, the problem was gone. My take on it is that systemic enzymes do seem to work as a roto-rooter for the circulatory system.

Thanks - I will look into this brand and compare it to the one I ordered. Do you still take it every day, or was this something you took for a period of time and then stopped?

xntrik is offline Member
    I still take it. Three caps before bed.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    Have you both been on a strict Auto Immune paleo diet? That is first and foremost, then move toward healing a leaky gut. Extra super strict is important with AI issues. And lab testing for hormone levels to know what you are dealing with prior to hormone supps is usually most effective way.
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

Yes, we've been done the autoimmune version of the paleo diet, with no seeming change. We're working on leaky gut issues with probiotics, broths, IF, healing fats, etc... Sometimes it's a little confusing, though, because from my understanding (or misunderstanding) you're not supposed to eat eggs on the autoimmune paleo diet, but raw eggs are your best friend on the GAPS diet. (Neither of us seem to have any obvious problems with eggs - I cut them out for about 4 months, then reintroduced them, no change).

Do you have any lab recommendations? I've found a lab online where you can basically request any kind of blood testing you want without a doctor's script, which I was considering because I'm wihtout health insurance at the moment).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast