Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Primal In College: Advice, Words of Wisdom, Etc. page 2

Kylex286 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Well, as another primal college student, I would have to say walking to the store to get meat would be the best thing to do. I don't live on campus myself, but I had tons of friends that would walk to the store because our campus' eating commons are really bad. Also, most schools usually set up free bus rides with the local city transportation. I would suggest looking into that as well. Usually, from what I have noticed having an up to date school idea get's you free bus rides. I would also look into farmers markets where you can buy a good amount of produce. Mark down the date and see if you can get a few of your friends to go with you. I live in a city surrounded by farm country so there are farmers markets every day, sometimes two. Most of the time you can find great products for really cheap.

Also starting the Paleo club would be a really good idea, especially if you have a lot of friends that are interested in this life style, but don't really know where to begin. I wish we had one on my campus...

Reese is offline Junior Member
    I was always a pro at hacking college, and actually lost weight when I started just because there wasn't food right in front of me anymore and I had to walk and get it...
    I got out of the big mealplan just by being difficult (you could lower your mealplan cost by saying it's dietary reasons) and I used to 'liberate' food from the cafeteria all the time. Mainly I would steal cups of spring mix lettuce for my rabbit.

You don't have to eat exactly what they make. Get a burger with no bun and extra lettuce. Switch it up with veggie or turkey burgers when you feel like. Go ahead and eat their meatloaf, just don't eat more than you could eat at home without your mother raising her eyebrows at you. Grab your entree from one station and your sides from another.

See if you can't sweet talk the cafeteria staff into making you something special (I had a drink called an 'aussie' I got them to make me - lime juice, seltzer, orange juice... yum), or try manhandling your college with a note from your doctor saying you can't take part in the meal plan for health reasons. At the very least there must be gluten free and kosher alternatives available. Other than that, it's pretty easy to modify tacos & hamburgers to be paleo. I agree with the salad bar suggestion - that will at least have eggs or deli meat on it. If it's not by weight, fill that sucker up with heavy things (you can always save some for later).

Also, join clubs' mailing lists. Mediterranean food is generally healthy and I know that greek, thai, and pizza were popular for clubs to lure people in with.

Write an editorial in the school paper complaining about the lack of healthy options, or get people to sign a petition. Do some research and request a meeting with the dining board.
    Also, a thought: how about you just don't go out on Friday night? Go to dinner instead. You can get a healthy meal, get a few drinks in, and you won't want the pizza.

Chinese can be ok. They'll usually have a steamed option and generally provide ample veggies, and you can do a little research into their sauces and pick a healthier one. Same with barbecue - just don't get it smothered in sauce, skip the beans and cornbread, and you're good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12