Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar in my Tea page

Danny66 is offline Junior Member

Sugar in my Tea

I have a question about sweetening brewed tea. I use 3/4 cup of regular white sugar, and a slice or two of lemon, for 5 quarts of brewed black tea. Considering the large amount of water, is that a lot of sugar?
    I could use 1/2 cup...just curious how 'bad' this is...

I drink approx. 10-18oz. at lunch & dinner each day. I'm not sure how much sugar ends up in that size serving.

I don't drink ANY soda, and drink lots of water. Are there better ways to sweeten tea?

Thanks

Timthetaco Guest
    I did an extremely sloppy, rounded and possibly wildly inaccurate calculation of how much sugar that equals a year, which puts it at around 18 pounds, assuming you actually do drink 18 ounces a day. Doesn't exactly put you in diabetes land.

Oh, you drink 18 ounces twice a day. Either way, even if you make the steady supply of sugary tea, the amount you're consuming shouldn't hurt you too much.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 03-16-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Yes, 10-18oz. 2x per day. I think I will cut it back to 1/2 cup per 5 qts of water.

Thanks

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I usually use stevia in my tea - I order the ground up stevia leaf from Mt. Rose Herbs, and add it to my teaball, then filter it out after a few minutes. I really like it, but my husband usually prefers using sugar. I don't think there's anything wrong with using a little sugar here and there, if it's what you really enjoy. (I personally think that white table sugar, especially if you can get some kind of organic version is better than high-fructose corn syrup.)

Jreyes2265 is offline Member
    I also was wondering about this same question. I've always felt a nag from my primal soul about my tablespoon full of sugar in my coffee in the mornings. Is coffee in your tea/coffee such as I've done it, ok?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Roughly 16g of sugar in an 18oz serving. So way less than a soda which I think would be almost 60g for that size.

I 2nd the stevia, though.

Thanks. We tried the Stevia, but I didn't like the after-taste. I will just cut back to 1/2 cup.

Amica is offline Member
    Try drinking it without sugar for a while and see if you can get used to it. Use whole-leaf black tea, and cold brew it (just put cold water on the tea leaves, put it in the fridge, and wait 12 hours). Cold-brewing makes it less bitter, so you may like it without sugar, or at least with much less.

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Just to play devils advocate here...Mark said somewhere on this site that he puts sugar in his coffee. I am with you on the stevia aftertaste. I do not care for it either. It's odd, when Splenda came out I hated the taste of it, but now I do not taste the after taste any longer. I sill use it in teensy amounts and not often. Someone suggested different stevia preparations taste a bit different, so you may try another brand? Or perhaps use a bit of stevia and a bit sugar. Lowering both may solve both problems.

At some point I think we all pick our poisons, so to speak. I eat totally clean, will not even go out to a restaraunt but I cannot stand sour stuff and I put a bit of Splenda in my weekly yogurt. Not dead yet.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I will try the cold brew method, using tea leaves. I assume any store sells them, or only health food stores?

I've had unsweet tea at a restauraunt that was very good, and not bitter, but that was maybe one or two times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast