Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Survey page

@lex is offline Senior Member

Primal Survey

This is a random idea that could either be interesting and lead to some good conversations....or a complete disaster. That being said, I figured I'd write up a list of questions related to nutrition and people can answer them and compare results. Answer with your personal opinions from your experiences and research and we'll see where the thread goes. The majority of these will be common hot button topics throughout the primal/paleo community.

PRIMAL SURVEY

1. In the context of a healthy diet, carbohydrates are...?

2. In the context of a healthy diet, protein is...?

3. In the context of a healthy diet, fats are...?

4. Is there an ideal macro-nutrient ratio for human beings?

5. In the context of weight loss, calories are...?

6. Grains are...?

7. Nuts are...?

8. Fruit is...?

9. Dairy is...?

10. Coffee is...?

11. Alcohol is...?

12. Supplementing with vitamins and so on is...?

13. Exercise is...?

14. How many hours of sleep is optimal for you?

15. How many meals do you eat a day?

16. Fasting is...?

A simple list, and more can certainly be added to it if you have any suggestions for questions. I'll post my answers here just to start things off.

1. A perfectly acceptable energy source for humans if they come from a natural source.

2. Essential in certain amounts, but I'd never base the majority of my diet on it.

3. A poorly misunderstood macro despite being essential to the body. That being said, some should be avoided like trans fats and PUFA's.

4. Nope, humans have been shown to thrive on a wide variety of ratios as long as the food source is good.

5. One of many factors, but for most people they play a rather prominent role next to food quality and exercise.

6. Generally shitty, but some like white rice are inert and tolerated well by a lot of people.

7. Something I don't really bother with since many are high in omega 6 and other undesirable things.

8. Delicious and something I enjoy eating.

9. Something I've never been crazy about. A slice of whole cheddar on my eggs and so on is the limit of my dairy consumption.

10. Not my drink of choice these days, I've pretty much stopped drinking it.

11. The occasional indulgence in the context of a social setting. A glass of whiskey and seltzer over the course of an evening is a nice treat.

12. Something that works for some people, but I'm honestly still conflicted on just what and how much we should be supplementing with. I eat real food and take vitamin D.

13. Very important if done properly. Lifting heavy things and engaging in functional activities is a great way to better yourself.

14. I function best on 7-8 hours, any more or less and I become a bit of a douche.

15. 2-3 is the way I go.

16. Interesting, and has shown itself to do a lot of good for some people.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    1. In the context of a healthy diet, carbohydrates are...? Fine for those who tolerate them in great amounts. Vary seasonally.

2. In the context of a healthy diet, protein is...? Necessary. A day or two fasting makes sense, but most days a pound of protein will be just breaking even. I lost more weight and gained more strength when I scooted up to a pound of meat a day.

3. In the context of a healthy diet, fats are...? Best taken in saturated form, with just a little omega 3 and omega 6. Fine for up to 75% of total caloric intake.

4. Is there an ideal macro-nutrient ratio for human beings? Varies by genetic population, medical history, age and goals. I do believe fat should outweigh carbohydrate.

5. In the context of weight loss, calories are...? Units of energy.

6. Grains are...? Best avoided in general. We do not need them.

7. Nuts are...? Occasional snack or meal. Maybe once a week. Inflammatory and can cause weight gain, but also good source of many vitamins and minerals.

8. Fruit is...? Not necessary, fine in moderation and best taken seasonally.

9. Dairy is...? Absolutely not necessary and probably why half the people here can't seem to lose weight.

10. Coffee is...? Fine taken black.

11. Alcohol is...? Poison. Avoid at all costs. Eat a grape instead.

12. Supplementing with vitamins and so on is...? Fine if your food sucks.

13. Exercise is...? Really fun, important to muscle growth and immune strength, and keeps the ants out of your pants.

14. How many hours of sleep is optimal for you? 10 per day

15. How many meals do you eat a day? One

16. Fasting is...? Daily IF for me, rarely do I skip a whole day. 3 to 5 hour eating window.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post

PRIMAL SURVEY

An acceptable form of energy, and a great way to replace glycogen stores and keep up ones thyroid and mood. Too much too often can cause insulin resistance as can too little too often. Too little carbs can cause infertility.

Important for maintaining lean body mass
    Important for storing fat soluble nutrients as well as many other functions such as fertility. Too little fat can cause infertility.
    I think everyone is different but the majority should be eating 20-35% protein, AVERAGE 75-200g of carbs (the higher end for people with higher activity.. if carb cycling with intensity this number can go even higher some days and lower other days), the rest good fats
    Important, however what you eat can adjust how many calories your body "wants" to consume in terms of hunger.

6. Grains are...?
    unhealthy, can cause leaky gut which leads to a host of other health problems

7. Nuts are...?
    not important to eat for healthy diet, but can be consumed ..preferably soaked and dehydrated. They are high in O6.

8. Fruit is...?
    Delicious, has lots of good healthy nutrients, can help up your carbs if you need to, however it can also be consumed when one is not hungry due to the high reward, and make one crave it making weight loss more difficult.

9. Dairy is...?
    MMMmm, not tolerated by everyone, but probably can be tolerated by most if chooseing raw full fat and leaky gut is healed and intake is worked up slowly. It has lots of good healthy stuff in it, it really is a complete food. But source is important conventional dairy is pretty awful.

10. Coffee is...?
    disgusting

11. Alcohol is...?
    makes me puke

sometimes necessary but should be done with extreme caution. Unfortunately our soils are depleted of magnesium we should get our nutrients from food and only supplement if we have a true deficiency...unless its something like cod liver oil which is actual almost like a food! Instead of just a vitamin..

Some supplements can be detrimental to ones health if not careful like calcium and iodine.

13. Exercise is...?
    important for good health, helpful for weight loss efforts

8-9 (more times closer to 9)

2-3

16. Fasting is...?
    Great for repairing your body or for help with weight loss.. its a great reset
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    1. In the context of a healthy diet, carbohydrates are...? good

2. In the context of a healthy diet, protein is...? good

3. In the context of a healthy diet, fats are...? good

4. Is there an ideal macro-nutrient ratio for human beings? good

5. In the context of weight loss, calories are...? good

6. Grains are...? bad

7. Nuts are...? okay

8. Fruit is...? good

9. Dairy is...? good

10. Coffee is...? gross

11. Alcohol is...? fun

12. Supplementing with vitamins and so on is...? good

13. Exercise is...? good

14. How many hours of sleep is optimal for you? too many

15. How many meals do you eat a day? varies

16. Fasting is...? fine
    bam
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I'll answer a few

Nuts are.......I think people have overanalyzed the chemistry of nuts. Exactly how did Grok survive the winter without storing and eating LOTS of nuts? I've read first hand accounts of Native American digging huge pits in which they stored nuts for the winter. One of the prejudices against nuts is that they are not a great food for people who are overweight and have access to too much food. Fine, but this is where everybody gets confused again between healthy eating and losing weight. I think nuts are fine for healthy eating, and in large amounts, when you aren't trying to lose weight.

Dairy is..............questionable because Grok did not eat it. However, as per Weston Price, you can clearly build a healthy society with pastured milk and cheese as a foundation diet (see chapter on Swiss mountain men). BUT, inability of whole swaths of human genome to even process it is a red flag. So, I stick with raw goat milk, which supposedly has fat molecules one tenth the size of cow's milk, thus easier to digest. I also drink it as kefir, which I've been told makes it that much easier to digest.

Coffee is...............NOT ok. Won't kill you, but is highly addictive. Mono nutrient that should be replaced by wide variety of herbal teas. One cup a month, tops, or you're an addict and won't admit it. I've read that overdrinking it can make your system overly acidic as well.

Supplements.........multivitamin as insurance, Vitamin D, fish oil. Won't help you if you eat at McDonalds every day.

Exercise.............Walk 2-3 miles a day, sprint, lift weights once a week, play golf..................looking to expand to bike riding, archery, shooting baskets.

Fasting is.................best new thing I've tried. Thanks to Mark, De Vany and this site.

Not talked about enough on this site................getting extra minerals into your body by drinking mineral water, drinking bone broth ,taking salt baths and sea salt neti pots, a surefire way to prevent colds and kill sinus allergies.
    Last edited by dbalch; 03-16-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    PRIMAL SURVEY

1. In the context of a healthy diet, carbohydrates are...? Good

2. In the context of a healthy diet, protein is...? Good

3. In the context of a healthy diet, fats are...? Good

4. Is there an ideal macro-nutrient ratio for human beings? No

5. In the context of weight loss, calories are...? Worth considering

6. Grains are...? okay if fermented or sprouted, and probably should not be of a modern strain

7. Nuts are...? not an everyday food

8. Fruit is...? awesome

9. Dairy is...? awesome if raw

10. Coffee is...? unnecessary

11. Alcohol is...? fun

12. Supplementing with vitamins and so on is...? unnecessary except for D3

13. Exercise is...? fun

14. How many hours of sleep is optimal for you? 7.5

15. How many meals do you eat a day? 2

16. Fasting is...? nifty

Talking about nutrition is like talking about an experience of cosmic consciousness. The fewer words you use, the better. Best to just shut up entirely.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    First off, I think most of all, it is your OWN body's response that matters.

1. In the context of a healthy diet, carbohydrates are...? food that can be good or bad, depending on the nutritional value of the food. For most people, necessary and a positive source of fuel provided you are eating good carbs.

2. In the context of a healthy diet, protein is...? necessary and filling.

3. In the context of a healthy diet, fats are...?Easy to overdo, but not as bad as the general public thinks.

4. Is there an ideal macro-nutrient ratio for human beings? It depends on the person. Probably most people are balanced in their needs, but seem need higher carbs or lower carbs.

5. In the context of weight loss, calories are...? Important to consider for most people.

6. Grains are...?I don't know, for me theyhad an addictive quality. I think there are some people who can have them. Americans eat wayyyyyy too much of them.

7. Nuts are...?Good for you, but if you are trying to control calories, very easy to overeat.

8. Fruit is...? Not the devil- its a yummy source of carbs and nutrients. It's not a necessity though.

9. Dairy is...? Fine if you are not sensitive to it.

10. Coffee is...? A drink.

11. Alcohol is...? Something you need to control your intake of but can be a part of your life unless you have issues with it.

12. Supplementing with vitamins and so on is...? Dependent on you. Worth trying if you think you might be missing something.

13. Exercise is...? Important for mind, body and health, but not necessarily a factor in weightloss.

14. How many hours of sleep is optimal for you? 9 hours

15. How many meals do you eat a day? 2

16. Fasting is...? A good tool to have to 1. avoid crap food and 2. restrict calories.

Owly is offline Senior Member

Generally good (cutting them can be useful for some, but bad for others).

Important for maintaining lean mass, recovery, and satiety. Also, meat and eggs are tasty.

Good fats are necessary for health (of course excluding trans fats, excessive PUFAs).

Nope. Some people function better in particular ranges, but we're a pretty adaptable species, which is why there's so damn many of us.

Relevant but not the whole answer.

6. Grains are...?

Mostly things that make me sick (yay celiac!) and are generally not good for people, although some are more toxic than others and white rice is pretty benign.

7. Nuts are...?

Tasty, nice to use in some dishes, but not something to eat all day, every day.

8. Fruit is...?

Delicious.

9. Dairy is...?

Not great for me personally because it creates stalls in fat loss, and lactose does sort of make me sick despite how much I want to pretend it doesn't. But for someone who tolerates it, sure, enjoy. I hear raw dairy is pretty awesome, but I've never been able to try it except as raw milk cheese (which rocks).

10. Coffee is...?

A nice part of my day. I've gone without it in the past, but from what I've read, in moderation it may have some benefits, and I like it, so I have about two cups of the good stuff (french press, of course) almost every day--butter optional.

11. Alcohol is...?

Something I have largely lost my tolerance for, sadly. More than one glass of wine and I'm headed for drunkville in a hurry.

A good way to have expensive pee.

13. Exercise is...?

Way, way more important than many people seem to think. There are about a zillion health benefits involved, and skipping out on it is silly. (And hey, thermogenesis fans? Exercise appears to create more brown fat!)

8-9 hours. Under 7 and I start turning into a cranky, stupid zombie, and that's just no fun for anyone.

As many as I feel like eating. Usually three-ish.

16. Fasting is...?

Something I generally don't plan. I just eat when I'm hungry, and I don't eat when I'm not hungry or when there's nothing to eat (including when there's only "food" and no actual food that I'd want to consume). Unplanned IF seems to be best for me. Lots of people get good results from fasting, though.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Useful as fuel for my workouts, when the right type are consumed.

Essential.

Nutritious, in the right varieties.

I believe the "ideal" macronutrient ratio varies depends on one's current condition, and what one's goals are.

Important, but not the whole story.

6. Grains are...?
    Filler at best, and far worse for those with allergies/intolerances.

7. Nuts are...?
    A nutritious "moderation" food.

8. Fruit is...?
    Delicious.

9. Dairy is...?
    Something I eat more of than most people. Your mileage may vary.

10. Coffee is...?
    Okay, provided it's in moderation and from good beans.

11. Alcohol is...?
    A fun vice.

Useful in a few specific situations, but no substitute for an actual nutritious diet.

13. Exercise is...?
    The 2nd most important thing to your health, after diet.

7, usually. Less than 6 and I start to drag.

Usually 3. Sometimes 2.

16. Fasting is...?
    Completely natural, and potentially beneficial.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1. In the context of a healthy diet, carbohydrates are...? Optional

2. In the context of a healthy diet, protein is...? Necessary

3. In the context of a healthy diet, fats are...? Necessary minus PUFA especially O6

4. Is there an ideal macro-nutrient ratio for human beings? Yes....but is based on your current health status and goals

5. In the context of weight loss, calories are...? Not relevant unless your satiety signals have been obliterated by previous health issues.

6. Grains are...? detrimental to most....tolerated by some

7. Nuts are...? A good snack...NOT a meal unto themselves

8. Fruit is...? The same as nuts

9. Dairy is...? Optional and dependant on same factors macronutrient ratios and/or tolerance are.

10. Coffee is...? Necessary ....but for real its detrimental to health just not exceedingly so.

11. Alcohol is...? Same as coffee

12. Supplementing with vitamins and so on is...? Masterbation...you should be getting the real thing.

13. Exercise is...? A necessary evil to activate healthy physiological response.

14. How many hours of sleep is optimal for you? Depends on the day 5-10hr.

15. How many meals do you eat a day? 1-2

16. Fasting is...? Good if you can do it spontaneously, and a healthy way to lose weight/improve health.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-16-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast