Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Paleo - Don't eat toxins - Wheat Crossreactivity page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Beyond Paleo - Don't eat toxins - Wheat Crossreactivity

Shop Now
    I really enjoyed the article from Chris Kresser Beyond Paleo: Don’t Eat Toxins

Of particular interest was this

Finally, we also now know that when you are gluten intolerant – which 33% (if not more) of you are – you will also “cross-react” with other foods that have a similar “molecular signature” to gluten and its components. Unfortunately, the list of these foods (shown below) contains all grains, which is why some medical practitioners (myself included) recommend not just a gluten-free diet, but an entirely grain-free diet. As you can see, it also contains other foods like dairy (alpha & beta casein, casomorphin, milk butyrophilin) and coffee (which is a very common cross-reactant).

alpha-caesin
    beta-caesin
    casomorphin
    milk butyrophilin
    cow’s milk
    american cheese
    chocolate
    coffee
    all cereal grains
    quinoa
    amaranth
    buckwheat
    tapioca
    rice
    potato
    corn
    sesame
    I have quite variable intake of rice, sesame, coffee, and chocolate. I also have quite variable energy. I wonder if I have a gluten intolerance and am also reacting to some of these.

Anyone notice a reaction to these foods (other than the grains, of course )
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

activia is offline Senior Member
    not sure, the only one of those I eat on a somewhat regular basis, is white rice... and I dont seem to have any issues with that. I dont drink coffee, chocolate intake is rare as I'm not a fan of dark chocolate, I dont eat white potatoes only sweet which is different...I dont drink milk but to have raw milk cheddar cheese aged..but that is different.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I really enjoyed the article from Chris Kresser Beyond Paleo: Don’t Eat Toxins

Of particular interest was this

I have quite variable intake of rice, sesame, coffee, and chocolate. I also have quite variable energy. I wonder if I have a gluten intolerance and am also reacting to some of these.

Anyone notice a reaction to these foods (other than the grains, of course )
    Interesting. It's all about lectins.

I am gluten intolerant. I consume coffee daily, white rice most days, occasional dark chocolate, potato occasionally. I don't notice any reaction to white potatoes - perhaps that's because I ate a lot as a child, but as I am very intolerant to tomatoes and aubergines i only eat white potato occasionally, once a week max and same goes for bell peppers. I do seem to have a mild reaction to dark chocolate.

Usually whenever I've tried alternative grains, e.g. rye, buckwheat, quinoa, corn, which I didn't eat during childhood (I hated cornflakes), I've found the bloating and other symptoms have been even worse than they were with wheat. I seem to be OK with tapioca, and I ate a bit of that in school dinner puddings as a child. (I know you said to mention reactions to these foods other than the grains, but I think the distinction I've made is important.)

I do eat a lot of beta-casein in goat's/sheeps cheese. I seem to be OK with that. But not alpha-casein. My energy is not variable most of the time - it is high.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    I definitely have issues with all dairy proteins and most grains. I still eat rice occasionaly, but no others. Interesting about the coffee. I've never completely eliminated it to see. Guess I'll drop it for awhile. I generally only have one cup of coffee each morning so it shouldn't be that hard to give it up. If its the final piece to getting rid of the chronic edema in my ankles, I would be thrilled.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    It would help to explain why I am still bloated all the time. Chocolate, coffee, and cheese compose of probably 30% of everything I eat unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    It would help to explain why I am still bloated all the time. Chocolate, coffee, and cheese compose of probably 30% of everything I eat unfortunately...
    Oh no! Why don't you be our guinea pig and do little experiment on yourself Just do a 2 week elimination and see what happens....
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Interesting. It's all about lectins.

I am gluten intolerant. I consume coffee daily, white rice most days, occasional dark chocolate, potato occasionally. I don't notice any reaction to white potatoes - perhaps that's because I ate a lot as a child, but as I am very intolerant to tomatoes and aubergines i only eat white potato occasionally, once a week max and same goes for bell peppers. I do seem to have a mild reaction to dark chocolate.

Usually whenever I've tried alternative grains, e.g. rye, buckwheat, quinoa, corn, which I didn't eat during childhood (I hated cornflakes), I've found the bloating and other symptoms have been even worse than they were with wheat. I seem to be OK with tapioca, and I ate a bit of that in school dinner puddings as a child. (I know you said to mention reactions to these foods other than the grains, but I think the distinction I've made is important.)

I do eat a lot of beta-casein in goat's/sheeps cheese. I seem to be OK with that. But not alpha-casein. My energy is not variable most of the time - it is high.
    Interesting. So what type of reaction do you get to gluten? Is that different from the reaction you get to cows milk or tomatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Ang View Post
    I definitely have issues with all dairy proteins and most grains. I still eat rice occasionaly, but no others. Interesting about the coffee. I've never completely eliminated it to see. Guess I'll drop it for awhile. I generally only have one cup of coffee each morning so it shouldn't be that hard to give it up. If its the final piece to getting rid of the chronic edema in my ankles, I would be thrilled.
    Check back in and let us know how it goes. I'm quite curious!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Oh no! Why don't you be our guinea pig and do little experiment on yourself Just do a 2 week elimination and see what happens....
    Lol that would give me incentive to give them up

So does this mean butter is a no-no as well?

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Lol that would give me incentive to give them up

So does this mean butter is a no-no as well?
    Make some delicious toasted ghee with kerrygold butter - so, so, so very good

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast