Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Menu help needed! Can't hit my calories page

heatseeker is offline Senior Member

Menu help needed! Can't hit my calories

Primal Fuel
    Hi all! I'm trying to do a 1100/1700 calorie split and I'm having problems hitting 1700 calories. I plug different foods into Fitday every which way, and I'm hitting the 150g carbs and 120g protein I want to hit, but keeping my fat at 30g means my calories consistently hover around 1300. No matter what I do, I can't seem to find those 400 calories without adding more fat--and honestly, I'm a little leery of even being able to eat the food I've plugged in. It's a lot. For instance:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, coffee (152 cal/10g fat/1g carb/13g protein)
    Lunch (post-lifting meal): Sushi (540 cal/6g fat/87b carb/27g protein)
    Dinner: Chicken breast, nonfat cottage cheese, baked sweet potato, banana (663 cal/7g fat/69g carb/79g protein)
    Total: 1354 cal, 23g fat, 158g carb, 118g protein

So yeah, I've got 7 more grams of fat to play around with, but that's not going to equal 350 cal. I don't want to add nuts or more dairy because those make me gain, and I don't want to do more than 150g carbs because I gain like crazy when I do (I gained 10 pounds in a flash carb cycling at 200g--not just water weight, either).

For reference, I'm 5'5", 169lb, 30% BF, for workouts I lift heavy, do gymnastics, and sprint, and I walk 4 miles a day with my dog. I'm trying the calorie split for a higher calorie deficit because I can't seem to lose fat no matter what I do. I've been really happy with my strength gains in the past three months due to lifting heavy, upping my protein, and carb cycling, but I would like to lose some goddamn fat so that I look like I'm in as good shape as I am!

activia is offline Senior Member
    instead of chicken breast use a fattier cut of meat or eat the skin.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

activia is offline Senior Member
    Oh no fat..hmmm go with another sweet potato, pumpkin, or fruit.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Like I said, I really don't want to go higher than 150g carbs. Obviously I could eat 5 more sweet potatoes and hit 1700 cals, but I gain fat like a mofo when I eat above 150g carbs.

I'm looking for more fine-tuning... what in that meal plan do I remove/substitute to hit the same levels of carbs and protein but hit a higher calorie content?

Or, alternately, is it going to hurt anything if I just eat 1300 cals on my lift days and 1100 on my off days? I do want to lose fat and have realized I need to up my caloric deficit, but I also don't want to hurt my workout gains. I like adding more plates to the bar every time I lift.
    Last edited by heatseeker; 03-16-2012 at 11:53 AM.

did i miss something? why are you trying to keep your fat intake to 30grams?

i would worry less about exact calorie counts, and just eat when you're hungry. and maybe up the fat intake and drop the carb intake a bit

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I do it by cooking everything in tallow and coconut oil. Three tablespoons of tallow is something like 300 calories alone. Also, avocados can be eaten ad-lib, they are a safe source of omega-6 - not inflammatory I've had explained to me.

Nonfat cottage cheese? What's in that? Bad stuff like pasteurized milk, I'd bet.

I agree with you that nuts are a good way to gain weight, as is dairy. But tallow and coconut oil really don't seem to have that effect at all! Heck, for a few months I drank 80g of fat in a can of coconut milk every day. I didn't gain any weight! I stopped losing...but what would I expect at 750 fat calories, even if a portion of it is medium-chain triglycerides?! The point is, it's very safe and reasonable to fill the gap in your caloric needs with fats. Dive in, you'll be breaking even or losing weight.

And chicken breast...replace that with duck hindquarter for more fat and better flavor! Same price, too.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Carb cycling. Low fat/high carb on workout days, low carb/high fat on non-workout days. Essentially. There's a bit more to it than that. Check out Leangains.

Sorry everyone--to make clear--I'm talking about carb cycling, which necessitates around 30g fat and higher carbs on workout days. I eat plenty of fat on off days and have been Primal for four years, so I know all the ins and outs of lipid theory. I'm talking specifically about carb cycling here. Shoulda made that more clear.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, on your high-carb days just toss in a few bowls of quinoa or sweet potato and you're golden.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, on your high-carb days just toss in a few bowls of quinoa or sweet potato and you're golden.
    I'm not, though. Look at the meal plan above. There's like two cups of white rice and a sweet potato in there, and I don't want to go above 150g carbs, but I'm not even close to hitting my calories.

Perhaps I'm looking for a solution that doesn't exist...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast