Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (SisterGrok) page

Sister Grok Guest

Primal Journal (SisterGrok)

Shop Now

Hey all!

I've been reading about/implementing primal nutrition and general wildness in my life for a long time now, figure I can always use more primal community and support, I'm not sure where I came across MDA, think it was about a year ago, I've skimmed through the articles back to the tempeh days, you all seem like a very friendly lot and I tend to tell myself I don't need much support, but chatting with more like-mindeds would do me good, I think. And damn it all if I couldn't use a little cheering up after a day of veggie-headed nonsense! Some of my closest friends are veg!

I know a bit about cooking, livin cheap, skin health, insomnia, unschooling, rewilding..

If anyone wants to chat about interesting things, hit me up, I'm much shyer online than in real life!

I'm planning on posting here to check myself a bit on what I've been eating, how I've been moving and feeling, talk with other PBers and especially snark over CW anecdotes, seeing other people laugh at that kind of silliness helps keep me sane.

Today I walked a few miles in the rain to the asian supemarket to pick up herbs, fish sauce and beef tendon, then carried groceries back on my head!

Fasted until dinner which was amaayzing:

A big ol' lamb chop, 2 fried eggs, tallow and ghee poured over the lot.

Bit of raw grass-fed ground beef, chilis, fish sauce, lime juice, cilantro, mint and thai basil all in bowl with more tallow. Spoonful of coconut oil, and then a glug or two of coconut milk while doing the *spicymouthdance*

Trying to finish typing up a bit more backstory for myself before I go out for a bit of time with my tribe.

I'd really like to just put more personal shit on here, beyond "oh PB really helped with my depression and skin problems" but I don't want to drop my baggage on your nice pinic blanket from my crazytree, haha.

so please feel free to drop in and tell me if I should bother saying more about who I am here!

hippie_mama is offline Member

I'll talk about unschooling anytime! My kids are 8, 6, and 4

And feel free to shake the proverbial crazytree (i love that term, btw!) whenever necessary; everybody here seems pretty cool with that sort of thing

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Haha yes please share We share A LOT around here...maybe a bit too much at times...but it's so nice to be able to talk to people that understand your point of view, rather than always defending yourself or just being the weird one in the office. I love my primal girls around here, they're all really cool

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Okay, thanks for starting your Journal. Could you talk about the skin problems, please?

I had some from PCOS, not as bad as some people, but no walk in the park, either. Acne gradually resolved when I cleaned up the fats and got older. It still comes back a little if I use too much progesterone cream or eat too much cheese.

I found acne, even when slight, to be a highly embarrassing confidence-waster, diverting myself from whom I ought to have been. Even worse than fat, which is also PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome-related.

Sister Grok Guest

thanks you guys!

It's great that there are so many women on this forum, this primal thing is not very ladylike by mainstream standards, that's probably why it clicked with me in the first place, haha.

piano, so sorry to hear about your struggles, it seems these days everyone and their mothers have outta whack hormones

Yea, I've got a lotta different things primal helped me with, I went through a few years of really wretched cystic acne, went on the pill for it(age 13-16.) After a few years of harsh antibiotics and topicals I finally gave in to Accutane which worked to quell my acne to only moderately terrible, while shredding my liver and leaving my lips chronically dry.

I think some of my skin problems were definitely genetic, both sides of my family had history of pretty extreme acne that tapered off in young adulthood, as far as the way I ate when I was a kid -

my dad was a chef raised in Germany, my mom a Frances Moore Lappe vegetarian, needless to say this was a clusterfuck of constant celebratory feasting thanks to his manically jovial tendencies with a heaping side of Moosewood- extra-crunchy & whole grain.

Like any environmentally-minded adolescent with compassion for living things I started dabbling in vegetarianism..

Sister Grok Guest

It's late, I should get off the computer and go socialize with hipster vegans that get drunk on cheap beer and eat cheese fries/taco bell.. while I avoid drinking and attempt to actually interact with people, ahh, to be 18!

Went for a long hike (barefoot) today, unexpected rain left me feelin kinda pre-blistery, oy, anyway//

At my lovely local german store I found a tin of cod liver packed in nothing but cod liver oil, @_@ I'm excited and scared! Also a whole smoked mackerel!! totally going to rip into that after my next 24 hour fast, nummm

IFed til late lunch:

headcheese and blood sausage, coconut milk drink

dinner: homemade pho with extra tendon, herbs and fat, some spicy buffalo mince and a bit more coconut milk

I've noticed all day more than usual I'm feeling very sensitive to smells - that girls perfume, that guy stinks like cigs, that guys reeks of cologne, idk maybe it's hormonal..

hippie_mama is offline Member

My husband says things taste and smell different since going primal, but i haven't noticed any changes. I think (for him at least) it's an allergy thing that's been corrected.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Wow, Sister, you Portlanders live right! "Local German store" ..........

And barefoot hiking. <envy>

But having a vegan mama --- condolences. No wonder your hormones got outta whack. I&#39;ve been reading what Lierre Keith has to say about soy, and it&#39;s horrifying! Especially remembering the awful time I tried to depend on tofu for protein (the macrobiotic disaster ...)

1/3 of my hair fell out, and I pulled something in my back which still shows up now and then, decades later. I had canker sores, rough skin, fatigue, and an eternal period.

Sometimes it&#39;s so good when one stops beating one&#39;s head against a wall ...

Sister Grok Guest

piano,

Haha, yeah, things are pretty diverse here, but also overwhelmingly white and gentrified, welcome to middle-upper class america..

I know! When I was reading the vegetarian myth I couldn&#39;t stop fuming for days! still am actually, it&#39;s hard to reign in the upset.

What a soy story, thats tragic, I&#39;m so glad we all have sane support & info here to work on healing ourselves

luckily for me, my dad convinced her to eat chicken and salmon when she was pregnant and I&#39;m pretty sure shes always loved dairy, but bread was defiitely a staple..

Oh well, we did what we could then, at least now we know a bit more!

Sister Grok Guest

Mmmm, I haven&#39;t been sleeping enough, went for a midnight hike in a canyon (more like wetlands, but it&#39;s called a canyon) with a friend, we ended up making a campfire and staring at the moon not talking for a few hours, then talking for a few hours!

Yesterday was great for food and exercise - lotsa walking, biking, sat in the sun reading for a few hours.

B - eggs & hollandaise

L - IF

D - more pho, some ground beef? I really dont remember

Goin to see if I can find oysters today, they just sound like exactly what I want to eat..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast