Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (SisterGrok) page 2

ilovejc2 Guest

Primal Fuel

Hey I have a question about going of BC Pills and acne. I have been on Birth Control pills for 10+ years I am 26. I have tried to go off them before but end up breaking out with SEVERE Cystic Acne. I am currently on Yaz and have heard horror stories about getting off. Has the Paleo diet helped you in this area?

Sister Grok Guest

ilovejc2 -

First off, everyone's different and will react to BC differently, I don't pretend to know anything but what I've been through and what my girlfriends have.

That said, I've definitely seen an adjustment period where it's worse before it's better, esppecially when they've been on it long term.

The main reason I got on BC was to control acne, which it did a little, but when I would try to go off like you, I'd get breakouts worse than pre-BC (B.B.C? lol)

Another reason a lot of women get on BC is to normalize cycles/ prevent bad cramps, this is total bullshit!

Since eating primal I barely cramp at all anymore, sometimes I'm a little grumpy PMSing, but rarely more than a flutter of cramping or pain, I think a lot of this is the anti-inflammatory nature of the diet.

In the end I just toughed it out, stopped taking it and within a couple cycles my skin calmed backed down, after about 6 months my cycles normalized and I've been almost totally in sync for the last year and a half!

All in all, I think BC/Yaz is just such a WRONG state for our bodies to be in, it might be a bit rocky to get off, but it's so worth it long term and the feeling of knowing my body is working the way it's supposed to is so much less scary, especially if I end up having kids.

Feel free to check in for support, if I'm not much help maybe you could start a thread " help getting off hormonal birth control" or the like. Good luck!

Sister Grok Guest

Kind of a meh day, been really sick - supersore throat, stuffy sinuses. Had to drag myself a few miles on foot for appointments, felt like the walking dead!

Ate 3 meals today, which is sooo not routine, I felt like I was constantly hungry..

B - Chicken breast, ghee, balsamic

L - Roasted (grassfed) hot dogs over a backyard campfire with lil' bro

D - ground lamb, blood sausage, yak liver, all in lamb fat

Also snacked on some leftover ghee roasted smelts while cooking.

I considered vitamin d superdosing, but the bottle I recently opened was based on rice bran oil, not the usual olive, d'oh!

ilovejc2 Guest

Thanks so much! I know your right I really want to get off. My doc was going to switch me to another kind that is lower hormone but I think I am just going to go off it and take some spironolactone for a few weeks to ease the process (it contains the same hormome that Yaz does that helps with acne) then I will be off everything alllll together. I def think is BS> And wish I knew what I knew now about paleo and natural body stuff. It would be a different story!

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member

Good post on BC. What do you use instead, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm thinking perhaps Paraguard (I think that's the correct name) - basically an IUD without hormones....do you know anything about it?

I have heard women who haven't had children shouldn't use it, but I don't know- that might be CW.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Hey, I just wanted to tell you that I had the Paraguard for about 4 years and I loved it. The only side effect I had was slightly longer periods. I did have a child before I got it put in, so I can't speak to that but I think if you ask around, you will find a provider who will insert it even if you have not had a baby. My sister was eventually able to talk her Dr. into getting it. I think they want to make sure you're at a low risk for pelvic inflammatory disease.

Sister Grok Guest

ilovejc2 - I haven't heard of this spironolactone for weaning before, hope it works for you, good luck!

lifewithjades - Thanks!

I'm not shy when talking about sex, don't worry

I use condoms &/or withdrawl (only with guys I know well & trust.)

Personally, I travel enough that I'm planning on getting a Gynefix soon, this comm -> http://community.livejournal.com/iud_divas/

is amazing for info & support, they've got lots of personal accounts & info for all IUD types.

I have 3 friends with the Paraguard. One of them has had a kid and she loves it, the other 2 are 18 and haven't had kids, they both have described some pinching and heavier cramping/bleeding, but from what I read it's to be expected w/ Paraguard.

Also, one's vegan and the other eats a lot of junk, so they've got more inflammation goin on for sure..

Sister Grok Guest

Today was weird, I'm still sick, a little less awful after getting a proper nights sleep with extra sinus congestion! uggh

B- IF

L- everything! lamb, blood sausage and mushrooms all sauteed together, beef broth, nettle tea, coconut pancakes(just 2 eggs & 50g dried coconut + coconut milk), wild blueberries.. oy, oh yea, pancakes were in ghee and bacon fat, too.

Guess I needed it, not overfull, just sated, going for a walk..

Think I'll fast until tommorow night.

Sister Grok Guest

Sick, sick, not hungry until lunch -

buffalo bone broth, leftover lamb chop, avocado coconut sorbet (blech, give me more meat!) fatty ground lamb, piece of bacon.

Lazing around, sinuses ballooning, tried to go for a walk, head exploded, now reading, computing, drinking mint tea.

Missed a favorite local band's anniversary party last night, aauugh! The percussion alone would have killed me, opted for reading Good Omens & drinking mint & nettle tea.

Have lost a little fat, took a few "before" photos, might post them..

Thing is I was leaner a couple months ago, but I've been having sleep/depression problems, been cooped up, so i gained a little pooch on my previously flat stomach! AAHH I actually still feel great about my body, maybe I should try bellydancing..

Sister Grok Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Okay, geez do my posts read like tangenty telegrams or what?

No, just rhetorical questions & statements, haha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast