Thread: Sweaty, rapid heart beat, vertigo, anxiety after eating saturated fat...? page

Stephanie A. is offline Member

Sweaty, rapid heart beat, vertigo, anxiety after eating saturated fat...?

I am looking for some insight from the Primal community. My brother has lost significant weight (100+ lbs) following the Zone Diet. However, his HDL is very low (20). I have suggested he try adding saturated fat to his diet since he eats only fish, white chicken meat, low-fat dairy and egg whites for protein sources. He has tried some lean meats and cooking with coconut oil. When he does, he experiences an 'episode' where he sweats, has some rapid heart beat, anxiety and slight vertigo for anywhere from 10-15 minutes to a few hours following his meal. Note: He is not eating 'low fat'. He consumes a fair amount of olive oil, avocado and guacamole equivalent of 40-45% of his caloric intake.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Any ideas on what is causing it?

I am very concerned about his low HDL. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Maybe he's allergic to coconut. Has he tried cooking with butter or another animal fat?

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    There have been several threads lately with people posting that coconut oil raises their temperature, or causes other unpleasant effects. Personally, I love it and eat it by the spoonful, but different things affect people differently.

Aside from coconut oil, I've never heard of symptoms like those you mentioned tied to saturated fat in general.

Just a thought, maybe he has a lot of conventional wisdom still in his brain and could possibly be freaking himself out over the debunked idea that saturated fat=heart disease?

activia is offline Senior Member
    I think its more tied to possible ketosis.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I second NWPrimate on thinking it's the coconut oil specifically. Some people seem to have this kind of reaction to it. I would suggest he try cooking in a different saturated fat, like butter, ghee, or tallow, and I bet he'll feel fine.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I second NWPrimate on thinking it's the coconut oil specifically. Some people seem to have this kind of reaction to it. I would suggest he try cooking in a different saturated fat, like butter, ghee, or tallow, and I bet he'll feel fine.
    +1

cantare is offline Senior Member
    If people could become 'allergic' to saturated fat per se--indeed, if it were truly as unhealthy as we are so often told it is--then it sure is awfully strange that we would have evolved to store most of our energy as saturated fat. Cripes, it's all over your body, not six inches from your heart--who's for a mass panic?

Olive oil has a fair amount of saturated fat, BTW. If he hasn't changed carb intake significantly, then he's controlled for ketosis as a cause...coconut oil sensitivity sounds like a winner.

Stephanie A. is offline Member
    I also wondered (and suggested to him) that maybe it was anxiety since he is quite saturated fat phobic. He doesn't think so...? I doubt that he is in Ketosis since he follows the Zone which puts him at about 150 grams of carbs per day. Is it possible to be in ketosis at this level?

The reaction happens when he has things other than coconut oil.

Thanks for the input!!

rina209 is offline Junior Member
    I am having the same problem! I lost 60 pounds and changed my diet for 3 weeks having anxiety attacks all my blood test are good my hdl is low also. Its ruining my life im in and out of the ER looking like a dummy because nothing is wrong with me they say. I have never had anxiety in my life.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe he is either allergic to whatever he is eating. He could also have bile releasing issues, and the body up-regulates CCK which can cause all of the issues, including really bad anxiety in some cases. Maybe take a digestive enzyme containing lipase, use betaine HCL, or digestive bitters to help with fat digestion.

Could also be a yeast based herx reaction from the coconut oil. Best bet it is probably a coconut allergy.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb