Thread: Doing my very first fast page

Cin
    Cin is offline Member

Doing my very first fast

Primal Fuel
    This is the first time I've ever conciously tried a fast. Haven't eaten since 7 p.m. last night, not eating until this afternoon. Not a very long fast, I know, but a big challenge for me.

When I was pregnant with my 3rd child, I had an illness that made me vomit everything that I ate or drank. I starved during the pregnancy and lost 20 lbs. It was horrific. Let me tell you, starvation is incredibly physically painful. It's not just your stomach -- your whole body hurts and aches.

Ever since, I find being hungry very stressful and scary, and often eat when not hungry just so I don't get hungry.

So this is my first true confrontation of the fear of starving.

I am 14.5 hours in and stomach is rumbling, but I'm doing OK.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Just hold on, it gets easier. You may find in time that you enjoy the hunger.

evertastica is offline Member
    Good luck! You're doing great so far. If I haven't fasted in awhile I'll get a few stomach rumbles about 12-14 hours into my fast.

Don't over do it but I'm sure an occasional 16 - 20 hour fast will be beneficial long term. If you feel overwhelmed by it just take it slow and make sure you eat the right foods before and after your fast.

Aliophile is offline Senior Member
    Small steps, right? I personally haven't gotten to the fasting stage for much the same fear you have - except mine is I don't want the fast to trigger a migraine. I'll feel ready to take the plunge after I've been pimal and migraine-free for at leadt a couple months.

Good luck!
    || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
    My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
    AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

Cin
    Cin is offline Member
    Thanks, everyone!

Hour and a half to go until my lunch date (at a rib joint,people, that serves dry-rubbed ribs and coleslaw made with real egg and cream dressing, and no soy ingredients -- yummmmmm).

Starting to get a little panicky from the "all gone" feeling in my tummy. Drinking lots of water to help.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Focus on something else... or exercise (this always decreases my appetite in the short term)
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Cin
    Cin is offline Member
    at work, so can't exercise right now. Will try to focus on what I'm writing and let go of focusing on the tummy -- good advice.

at work I'll just walk around the office or go up and down the stairs, or find an empty office and do some air squats.
    Primal since March 2011

and drink some water. that helps too
    Primal since March 2011

Cin
    Cin is offline Member
    I made it! 18 hours total, 7 p.m. to 1 p.m. It was weird, but I didn't feel weak or off or anything. Just hungry.

Totally stuffed myself at lunch: half a rack of pork ribs, 1/4 chicken, coleslaw -- and a few real yam fries (they hand cut them and cook them in OO, sooo delicious).

That will be my only meal today -- so full I can't imagine eating again, and I am sure that meal hit my daily caloric requirements (1400 cals) plus I have hot yoga at 7, and can't really eat for a few hours before (full tummy plus hot yoga equals sore digestion.)

I'll eat breakfast tomorrow.