Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half n half? page

kiwigal is offline Senior Member

Half n half?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Was just wondering what kind of milk is in half n half?? Is it whole milk or skim milk??
    I heard HWC cream is healthier than regular whole milk but wasn't sure about Half n half???

I am looking for something to put into my coffee in the morning, but am trying to cut my calories back a little bit as I have stopped losing weight.

Thanks guys!!!!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    half light cream and half whole milk

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    It's half whole milk and half cream. If you're looking to cut calories, it of course has an advantage over cream, assuming you use the same amount of each.

I think the "cream is better" mentality is from when everyone thought carbs were totally evil and that eating more fat was always better. Sometimes lower fat higher carb IS better, but not always.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 03-16-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Thanks guys!!!

I heard milk gets broken down into lactose more quickly than cream???

Maybe I"ll pick up some half n half today.

Thanks again!!!

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    Thanks guys!!!

I heard milk gets broken down into lactose more quickly than cream???

Maybe I"ll pick up some half n half today.

Thanks again!!!
    milk has significantly more lactose then cream. Cream has almost none.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    It's half whole milk and half cream. If you're looking to cut calories, it of course has an advantage over cream, assuming you use the same amount of each.

I think the "cream is better" mentality is from when everyone thought carbs were totally evil and that eating more fat was always better. Sometimes lower fat higher carb IS better, but not always.
    Actually this is not really the case. It's not about the carbs. The reason is more due to the lactose content, also to do with the processing that occurs to make it low fat. Also if you want nutrient absorption you need the fat.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You should read the ingredients on the half-and-half. Not all half-and-half is the same. Some has a lot more artificial things, and if you get it from a grocery store, they do not necessarily label it as ultrapasturized, which it may very well be. It's safer to get heavy cream or half-and-half from the healthfood store, somewhere that has foods clearly labeled ultrapasturized. It'll usually be in a glass container and it'll be hard to use it all before it goes bad. But it's better for you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    Thanks guys!!! I heard milk gets broken down into lactose more quickly than cream???
    It's not that milk is broken down into lactose, but rather that the lactose is more prevalent.

Whole milk contains water, fat, protein and sugar.

When heavy cream is skimmed off the top, it contains less of the protein and sugar, while concentrating the fat.
    It's not just a matter of carbs, as lots of people have issues with lactose (the sugar), and dairy proteins are not necessarily well tolerated and kind of controversial. The proteins and sugar in dairy are actually quite insulin-stimulating, which is not something you want in the weight loss phase.

I think you'll get more bang for your buck pouring heavy cream into your coffee as opposed to half and half.
    You don't have to use very much and it makes it so creamy and delicious.

So if Heavy Whipping cream isn't broken down in lactose, why isn't it allowed on Whole 30???

Just curious I guess???

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Milk isn't broken down into lactose, lactose is a sugar found in milk.
    Some people are intolerant to lactose, as they lack lactase, which is necessary to break lactose into simpler sugars.
    If you ever see ase at the end of a compound, you know that it's function is breaking something down into simpler forms.
    An ose suffix at the end of a compound indicates that it's a sugar.

If you lack the gene to produce lactase, you won't be able to digest lactose.

Heavy cream is going to contain trace amounts of lactose, but much less than milk or half-and-half would. Just as butter, which is concentrated cream without the buttermilk (leftover liquid after making butter from cream) has even less sugar and protein than heavy cream.

Even for those who are not lactose intolerant, the proteins (especially casein) can be problematic. Casein avoidance is my main reason for avoiding delicious cheese, which is basically free of lactose.

My limited understanding of the whole 30 is going 30 days without foods that are often problematic for people or 30 days without neolithic foods. To have a perfect "paleo" diet, one wouldn't consume dairy products.

I don't drink milk anymore and limit my cheese consumption, but my mind and body (not to mention taste buds) love dairy fat, so it's definitely on the menu for me. It's all about personal customization. There's no "one size fits all".
    Last edited by NWPrimate; 03-16-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast