Thread: Advice for post-fasting page

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member

Advice for post-fasting

I find intermittent fasting to be just as valuable as Mark says. I have done non-religious fasting once a year for the last 8 years. With those fasts, I would plan a two week process of moving into it, where I slowly restrict my calories. After 2 days of just water, I'd spend two weeks adding calories back into my diet. It has always worked for me. Making me feel refreshed, etc. Of course, I get the same effects now by not eating any grain. Anyway...

THe short term fasting though has led me to sleepy binges afterwards. When I do a 16-24 hour fast, I find that I tend to over graze after it. Sometimes I eat as much as about 2600-3200 calories. I am able to stick with a primal diet none the less, and I tend to eat really light the next day or two, but the binges leave me feeling bloated.

I have tried several ways of coming out of a day fast and none seem to avoid the weird binge.

I have done a lot of research on long term fasts, but these short fasts are getting me. Any advice would be appreciated!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    You mentioned that your problem is overgrazing afterward - I have this problem, in general, if I allow myself to snack. I do MUCH better with clearly defined mealtimes and a strict no-snacking policy. Have you tried this already?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i get into snacking after a break a fast (daily, 18-20 hour fasts a la leangains), usually a fork-full or two of some left overs or something. i still feel like i shouldn't be doing it at times, but mostly i'm okay with it now. obviously, i don't snack during the fast, so my insulin is doing good and my body is using fat stores for fuel. my eating window is pretty small to begin with, so it's not like a few almonds or a fork full of shredded beef is going to do much physiologically like spike insulin; in fact, i think the body would just consider it part of a meal.
    i think that if you are going to snack, you're probably better off doing it during a short eating window rather than between meals spread throughout the day.
    and, if you're anything like me, you're not snacking just out of boredom or anything--you're snacking because your body is telling you it's hungry. i actually break my fast now with snack foods (can of sardines, cheese and a pickle or apple for example) then go for a walk or do something and try to come back to food a few hours later for my huge meal. i might grab something small in between, but if i'm walking the dog, doing the dishes, etc., i'm pretty good till meal time.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    You mentioned that your problem is overgrazing afterward - I have this problem, in general, if I allow myself to snack. I do MUCH better with clearly defined mealtimes and a strict no-snacking policy. Have you tried this already?

I do not do pre-defined meal times, as my schedule is such that I'd stress myself trying to stick to it. My work week ranges from 25 hours to 80 hours a week, and I may have to drop everything to rush off to repair an emergency.

I spend time before bed or at breakfast planning my food for the day and sticking with that. I still find though, after a day fast, I am snatching bits of food and chowing. My wife and I are always cooking, as we love food. We grind our own meats, make our own sausages, saurkraut, Kimchees, etc. We render our own lard and process entire animals that we raise. We spend a lot of time doing this, and this means that there are tidbits of food EVERYWHERE.

"Hmmmm... is the saurkraut done? :: pile plate of kraut::"
    "This sausage is dried, let me put it away ::grabs a hunk and gnaws::"
    "Oh, some of these curds won't fit in the cheese cloth I cut. ::NOMNOMNOM::"

This is why I plan my meals. I found, even primal, I was losing little to no weight do to these habits. By measuring my food and sticking with a certain calorie cap, I final was able to see the benefits. Unfortunately, after the fast, I just find myself back in the habit of grazing while I process food. (Please note, when I use process here, it is NOTHING like "processed food" processes. All natural processing is what I do.)

Anyway, thanks for the pointers so far. I may start trying the short eating window and see what happens. Though, again, my schedule can make that hard. I doubt my boss would be happy with me eating food in the data center. heh.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I've been droning on about ghreylin a lot lately, and I'm going to do it again here anyway. Spontaneity and flexibility sound like great concepts as does "just eat when you are hungry". Unfortunately, parts of the human body haven't got that memo. Our bodies release the hormone ghreylin close to times that it's been fed before to remind us to eat something again. Meal and snack times tend to become habit forming very quickly because we have a subtle internal signal that we interpret as hunger and the need to eat something.

I'm not saying that nobody can get by without set meal times but it can cause confusion and ghreylin may have something to do with your desire to binge. My advice is to drink some water instead of binging on a snack the desire to binge occurs and to know that real hunger is frequently confused for imagined hunger.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I've been droning on about ghreylin a lot lately, and I'm going to do it again here anyway. Spontaneity and flexibility sound like great concepts as does "just eat when you are hungry". Unfortunately, parts of the human body haven't got that memo. Our bodies release the hormone ghreylin close to times that it's been fed before to remind us to eat something again. Meal and snack times tend to become habit forming very quickly because we have a subtle internal signal that we interpret as hunger and the need to eat something.

I'm not saying that nobody can get by without set meal times but it can cause confusion and ghreylin may have something to do with your desire to binge. My advice is to drink some water instead of binging on a snack the desire to binge occurs and to know that real hunger is frequently confused for imagined hunger.
    Well, I appreciate this "droning" of yours. Haha!!! I do feel like eating on a schedule helps. I'm usually hungry at meal time though. Real hunger, like stomach growling and growling and growling. I usually eat every 5 hours.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigigaw View Post
    "Hmmmm... is the saurkraut done? :: pile plate of kraut::"
    "This sausage is dried, let me put it away ::grabs a hunk and gnaws::"
    "Oh, some of these curds won't fit in the cheese cloth I cut. ::NOMNOMNOM::"
    This sounds like me.

I work 40-50 hrs a week, plus 13 credits of school, so few meals actually happen at home. I absolutely love to cook and always have projects going. It's always a bite here, a nibble there, or a sip of something. When you cook and enjoy preparing food, tasting is important, and nobody wants to throw away bits of food!

I simply work my nibbles into my daily allotment, and they always happen within an eating window. On days that I know I'm going to be cooking, making cheese, kombucha, or whatever, I eat a little less at my meal(s) because I know I'll be sampling some of my projects.