Thread: Any Such thing as Shakes in Primal? page

scjohnson243 is offline Junior Member

Any Such thing as Shakes in Primal?

Primal Fuel
    So, I have been doing primal most of the time and having good results - I would like to start adding in protein "Shakes" but I dont know if thats possible and not sabotage this diet. I could use almond milk, half a banana, scoop of protein powder and a tbsp of natural peanut butter and a few ice cubes.

I dont think there is anything really deal breaking except for maybe the sugars from the fruit, but if I'm only doing this once a day, will that derail any other benefits I'm getting?

Anyone use anything like this in the past?

Thank you

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member
    Shakes are fine, as long as the ingredients are natural and something Grok could have eaten during his time. Switch the peanut butter for a different nut butter (peanuts are legumes, not nuts). Although macadamia nut butter is preferred, a lot of people eat almond butter too. Also, try to avoid protein powders if possible, add real protein sources instead. Some people use raw egg (if that doesn't bother them. Finally, sugar from fruit is okay on paelo, just don't overdo it. Paelo isn't low carb, it's a natural living lifestyle. Eat in season fruits like berries, try to avoid eating a whole bowl of mangos and pineapples.

Thanks for the suggestions - I thought peanuts were nuts(duh) and figured if it was the "Natural" peanut butter it would be better - thanks for the heads up. I don't know if I have ever seen Macadamia nut butter, but will definitely try to find it - I dont like the powders, either, but its hard to get the same bang with "real" foods (I know, I know). One egg has 6g of protein, and the powder has 28g. I do hear what your saying and will try to come up with a good alternative... I was not really concerned about the carbs, i was more concerned about the sugar from the fruit, some people say cut out ALL Sugars, others say some is okay - I was just hoping for some people that have experienced it either way could offer some suggestions...

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure you just invented something brand new that no one here has ever heard of. You say you call this thing a "shake"?

In seriousness, it really depends on what your purpose is. Do you have zero time to cook and you're hoping this is a fast meal replacement solution? Is this something you're used to consuming and don't want to give it up? Are you trying to increase your protein? Trying to find an enjoyable once-in-a-while treat?

My philosophy is that it's generally best not to drink calories. That being said, I occasionally (once a week, maybe?) make myself a 'smoothie' with coconut or almond milk, raw cocoa powder, molasses, and a banana because I want to consume all those ingredients AND it love the way it tastes. You mentioned peanut butter, which is a legume product, and not a primal/paleo food, and the protein powder seems like an artificial way to consume protein - why not just eat your daily requirement of meat? (0.7-1 gram per lb of lean mass)

Quote Originally Posted by scjohnson243 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions - I thought peanuts were nuts(duh) and figured if it was the "Natural" peanut butter it would be better - thanks for the heads up. I don't know if I have ever seen Macadamia nut butter, but will definitely try to find it - I dont like the powders, either, but its hard to get the same bang with "real" foods (I know, I know). One egg has 6g of protein, and the powder has 28g. I do hear what your saying and will try to come up with a good alternative... I was not really concerned about the carbs, i was more concerned about the sugar from the fruit, some people say cut out ALL Sugars, others say some is okay - I was just hoping for some people that have experienced it either way could offer some suggestions...

The peanut butter mistake is an honest one for sure! Most stores will offer at least almond butter, which is still a better alternative if you don't have access to macadamia nut butter.

Usually people saying cut ALL sugars (even natural sources) are pushing a low carb agenda. If you are looking for fast-er weight loss, then yes limiting fruits will help. Paelo considers 75 - 100 g the "weight loss sweet spot", which definitely leaves some room for fruit if that's what you want. Some people try to go as low as 20 - 0 carbs, which isn't healthy because that means you're getting an extremely limited amount of fruits AND vegetables.

As for the "bang" you're looking for, paelo is a moderate carb, moderate protein and high fat diet. If you're looking for energy, try adding some coconut oil to your smoothie. Tons of good fats, it will satisfy you and will give you some good energy to work with for the day!

The most important thing about this lifestyle is to ask yourself "Would Grok eat this?". It's about natural food more than anything! You will find if you live with that one question in mind, a lot will come together.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    and the protein powder seems like an artificial way to consume protein - why not just eat your daily requirement of meat? (0.7-1 gram per lb of lean mass)
    Because that is about 190g-220g of protein per day - I have a problem getting enough calories, (I know, primal isn't about counting calories, but the geek in me still does it to make sure I have to protein for my muscles to get big and strong). As it is right now by dinner at night I am fighting to eat something because I'm just not hungry, and I'm sitting at around 900 calories and maybe 70-100g of protein.

My meals are usually about the same (I find something that I like and stick with it, I have no imagination)
    Morning is 3 eggs, portion of meat, big handful of spinach, some sliced up onion) I was adding cheese to this for more protein but dont normally do it, I like it better without.

Lunch is usually a slab of some sort of animal on a big bed of greens, or asparagus, or some other green veggie..

By 8 or 9 at night I'm still full and just dont want to eat anything else.

I figured I could add another 400-500 calories + 70g or so protein a day with a shake/smoothie/whatever you want to call it. With much better for you stuff and it would still be "okay"...

I just felt like I cant be the only one fighting something like this, I'm not hungry the high fat makes sure of that.

/shrug.

I'd suggest using full fat greek yogurt or an avocado to your shake for the fat satiation effect if you're looking to replace a meal. I also agree with the other posters that almond butter would be a better choice than peanut butter. Artisana and Better Than Roasted both make all kinds of other nut butters if you're game to try new things and don't mind splurging.

If you're really looking to add some protein though, you could follow the path of Bruce Lee and drink raw meat shakes.

kevingeary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I'm pretty sure you just invented something brand new that no one here has ever heard of. You say you call this thing a "shake"?

In seriousness, it really depends on what your purpose is. Do you have zero time to cook and you're hoping this is a fast meal replacement solution? Is this something you're used to consuming and don't want to give it up? Are you trying to increase your protein? Trying to find an enjoyable once-in-a-while treat?

My philosophy is that it's generally best not to drink calories. That being said, I occasionally (once a week, maybe?) make myself a 'smoothie' with coconut or almond milk, raw cocoa powder, molasses, and a banana because I want to consume all those ingredients AND it love the way it tastes. You mentioned peanut butter, which is a legume product, and not a primal/paleo food, and the protein powder seems like an artificial way to consume protein - why not just eat your daily requirement of meat? (0.7-1 gram per lb of lean mass)
    I don't see shakes as "drinking calories". You were going to eat what you put into a blender, it's just in a different form. When people generally talk about "drinking calories" they mean sodas, sweet teas, milkshakes, junk, etc.