Thread: What if we don't have a sedentary life? page

BigBeck89 Guest

I work 10 hours a day, seven days a week, outside, at a job where I am standing all day, and very often have to lift/carry heavy things like 80lb blocks,80lb bags of sand, 100+ pound bushels, etc etc.

I also lift heavy (like strctured workouts) three days a week...I was wondering if my job could be causing me to overtrain... when I was away at school and the ONLY heavy lifting was in my workouts I feel like I was getting better results..

The reason I ask is because most recommendations seem to be targeted at combatting a sedentary office type lifestyle, but what if we don't have one...does that change things?

bruce.b is offline Member

I don't think there's any reason for you to do structured workouts in addition to your job. I bet your job is a better strength workout than most gym workouts. Some of the strongest people do heavy manual labor and never otherwise work out.

I think you should experiment and see what works for you and also check for symptoms of overtraining.

The hardest work I ever did in my life was clearing building lots and hand carrying and dragging the logs and brush to the road. I also moved furniture for a couple of summers. There was no need to do any extra working out along with those two jobs.

bruce b.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Workouts sounds like a bus driver's vacation road trip to me.

I can't imagine hard work - which I've had plenty of in my younger life, although you have me beat - and needing a workout. I think I read once that lumberjacks and similar can go through 6,000 cal/day.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing, BigBeck. My job isn't quite as labor intensive as yours, but 75% of the day I'm walking or standing, and several times of day I lift or carry heavy spools. It's not too strenuous but it's a far cry from sitting at a desk. Does that mean I don't have to press myself quite so hard on workouts?

Then again maybe I don't want to know. It might give me license to be lazy- lol.

BigBeck89 Guest

exactly, but I just feel so guilty if I only workout once a week

Graeme is offline Junior Member

I don't think your job would cause you to overtrain.

Over-training is a rare thing.Listen too your body and fit your training schedule around your life,don't try to fit your life around your training schedule.

How fit do you want to be?

How many consecutive push ups can you do ?how many pull ups ?how long to run a mile?can you squat bodyweight for reps?

These are things to ask yourself.It's up to you how serious you take your training,if your job meets your needs then that is fine,it is up to you too anaylize if you are fit enough?

Karin Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Maybe you could just look into training whatever parts or functions are getting neglected at work?