Thread: Jewellery turning my skin black! page

jacmac is online now Senior Member

Jewellery turning my skin black!

Primal Fuel
    I do remember reading somewhere on this fab forum that jewellery turning skin black was a symptom of ...something? I have not had this happen to me before so am wondering just what the issue is.
    I have tried a general search but it seems my search terms are not working.
    Is there anyone who can remember a thread about this?
    thanks in advance
    J

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I don't know the thread you are talking about but there used to be a belief that jewellery turning black was a sign of iron deficiency. I have heard that this is a myth. Is this jewellery you have been wearing a while, or new stuff? What is it made of?

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    I do remember reading somewhere on this fab forum that jewellery turning skin black was a symptom of ...something
    That something is probably cheap jewelry...so-called "base" metals & alloys can oxidize easily, especially in the presence of moisture and salt from sweat. If you have 2 or more different metals in contact, you can get galvanic corrosion as well. I once had a wristwatch that I liked, but in hot weather it left greenish-black verdigris all over my wrist and shirt-cuffs...had to junk it.

jacmac is online now Senior Member
    The jewellery is costume OR cheap! but I have been wearing it for a long time without any reactions. I just wondered if in my change in diet I am missing a mineral or something.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Well, at least you can still wear your jewelery. My watch has to go up to pretty much my elbow to stay on and my class ring (which I got nearly 5 years ago) doesn't fit on any finger I have. Admittedly, I can get these things resized, and it's a bit annoying that it doesn't fit.

But it's also really awesome because I remember when neither the watch or the ring fit. Primal rocks.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    My good quality Calvin Klein stainless steel watch makes my wrist black. Especially when I moisturize, all this black stuff smears all over my arm.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    I've read somewhere that it's more likely some component of makeup or moisturizers that react with either the gold or base metal in jewelry, and that humidity can also play a factor. I do know that it's not just cheap jewelry and it's not always consistent. I have had problems with my rings in the past, then none for several years, but a couple weeks ago I had a bit of the black smudge around my wedding ring.

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My 14K gold wedding ring and engagement ring turn my skin black when I am on my period. Only real gold or real silver ever leave black marks. More so on my face where my skin is more oily. Mostly when I do not have makeup on. I was always told it was iron deficiency and the darker the marks the lower the iron. Three out of four weeks of the month my rings just leave grey marks. Cheap jewellery doesn't do this to me at all. Except copper which turns green
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group