Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Yep...I'm gettin' fat page

  1. #1
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518

    Yep...I'm gettin' fat

    Primal Fuel
    Damn. I had a fantastic year and half on primal with effortless weight loss and then maintenance. I guess the honeymoon is over.

    I got weighed today (I only weigh every couple months). I have a normal range of 6 lbs I bounce within weight wise. I was two lbs above my "normal high" weight today - which is 8 lbs above my low weight . I'm only 5'3'' tall so that is a jean size.

    It is real gain. I knew I had gained. My smallest jeans don't fit anymore and I clearly have extra body fat.

    Time to figure out what the hell I changed that is making this happen.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  2. #2
    lssanjose's Avatar
    lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Damn. I had a fantastic year and half on primal with effortless weight loss and then maintenance. I guess the honeymoon is over.

    I got weighed today (I only weigh every couple months). I have a normal range of 6 lbs I bounce within weight wise. I was two lbs above my "normal high" weight today - which is 8 lbs above my low weight . I'm only 5'3'' tall so that is a jean size.

    It is real gain. I knew I had gained. My smallest jeans don't fit anymore and I clearly have extra body fat.

    Time to figure out what the hell I changed that is making this happen.
    Falling off the wagon happens. But, in a way, it'll help you refocus, making sure you remain mindful of what you're eating (not too mindful to the point of stressing over it). Also, it'll help you think about what you did then, trying to see if you want to do something different, if you decide to go in that direction.

  3. #3
    captaineight's Avatar
    captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    371
    You ate too many calories.

    I sound like a broken record here.

    The paleo diet is not a weight loss diet. You can eat healthy food and gain weight or lose weight or maintain weight depending on your calorie intake.

    There's nothing magical about eating paleo that will put you into a permanent state of weight-loss. That just defies logic.

  4. #4
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by captaineight View Post
    You ate too many calories.

    I sound like a broken record here.

    The paleo diet is not a weight loss diet. You can eat healthy food and gain weight or lose weight or maintain weight depending on your calorie intake.

    There's nothing magical about eating paleo that will put you into a permanent state of weight-loss. That just defies logic.

    Ummm....duh? You could change your name to captainobvious.

    The beauty of paleo eating is that my caloric intake has been controlled entirely (for nearly two years) through the satiety mechanism which is the ONLY way humans can control their own caloric intake long term. Your calorie control theory is only half right - which makes your constant spouting of "control your calories" super ill informed and annoying.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  5. #5
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Falling off the wagon happens. But, in a way, it'll help you refocus, making sure you remain mindful of what you're eating (not too mindful to the point of stressing over it). Also, it'll help you think about what you did then, trying to see if you want to do something different, if you decide to go in that direction.
    Yeah - I never really fell off the wagon. I think I've just been a little less careful about a couple of sugar indulgences - I suspect that has increased my appetite enough to start the scale moving the wrong way. Time to clean up the eating again.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  6. #6
    captaineight's Avatar
    captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Ummm....duh? You could change your name to captainobvious.

    The beauty of paleo eating is that my caloric intake has been controlled entirely (for nearly two years) through the satiety mechanism which is the ONLY way humans can control their own caloric intake long term. Your calorie control theory is only half right - which makes your constant spouting of "control your calories" super ill informed and annoying.
    I sort-of liked your response up until the last sentence. I didn't like that bit much.

    As far as the "duh" bit goes ... if I could give you a dollar for everytime someone on this forum tried to argue that it's not calories, it's carbs (or hormones, or whatever), you'd be a rich man. I'm glad you find it obvious, as do I. That is not true for many posters here.

    What's more, it's simply not true that its the "ONLY" way humans can control their own caloric intake long term. Loads of people have been able to lose weight, and keep it off long term without ever having heard of paleo. This may sound a little silly, but it's true: your stomach stretches the more you eat. The more you eat, the more you need to eat to fill that stretched out stomach. This is the real reason overweight people feel hungry all the time. It's not "crazy hormones" like the pseudo-scientists would have you believe. The fantastic news is, the less you eat, the less you want to eat. Your stomach contracts too. By keeping meals small, you can train yourself to be "less hungry".

    I'm getting side-tracked though. I do agree with you that it is an excellent method to control the satiety mechanism to some extent. I think your own thread (this one) is evidence enough that the "natural satiety" of eating paleo will only get you so far. If you're a person who is struggling with their weight, you're never going to reach that ideal physique if you don't do some serious calorie counting and gym work to achieve your goals. Just blindly eating paleo without a thought for calories, or assuming paleo will "naturally regulate" you into a lean, strong physique, is wishful thinking. It might help you shift a bit of weight when you start, or maybe a lot of weight (depending on where you started), but there will come a point you have to get a bit more strict than "just eat paleo foods".
    Last edited by captaineight; 03-15-2012 at 10:01 PM.

  7. #7
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by captaineight View Post
    I sort-of liked your response up until the last sentence. I didn't like that bit much.

    As far as the "duh" bit goes ... if I could give you a dollar for everytime someone on this forum tried to argue that it's not calories, it's carbs (or hormones, or whatever), you'd be a rich man. I'm glad you find it obvious, as do I. That is not true for many posters here.

    What's more, it's simply not true that its the "ONLY" way humans can control their own caloric intake long term. Loads of people have been able to lose weight, and keep it off long term without ever having heard of paleo. This may sound a little silly, but it's true: your stomach stretches the more you eat. The more you eat, the more you need to eat to fill that stretched out stomach. This is the real reason overweight people feel hungry all the time. It's not "crazy hormones" like the pseudo-scientists would have you believe. The fantastic news is, the less you eat, the less you want to eat. Your stomach contracts too. By keeping meals small, you can train yourself to be "less hungry".

    I'm getting side-tracked though. I do agree with you that it is an excellent method to control the satiety mechanism to some extent. However, if you're a person who is struggling with their weight, you're never going to reach that ideal physique if you don't do some serious calorie counting and gym work to achieve your goals. Just blindly eating paleo without a thought for calories, or assuming pale will "naturally regulate" you into a ripped, muscular physique, is wishful thinking. It might help you shift a bit of weight when you start, or maybe a lot of weight (depending on where you started), but there will come a point you have to get a bit more strict than "just eat paleo foods".
    Very few people who are overweight are able to lose weight and maintain that weight loss through counting calories. the statics on regain of weight are staggeringly bad. The brain has an override mechanism that will pressure you to eat until it is given the macronutrient ratio that causes it to shut up. So people that are wanting to count carbs (which is a way of regulating hormone levels) within the context of a paleo diet etc instead of calories are correct. Counting calories alone is not helpful long term for the majority of people.

    As for the ripped musclular physique, again I think there are tools that people use that help them control caloric intake including fasting and periods of low carb eating. I am not to that point yet, I was very happy just being a nice healthy weight that I looked good in most clothes.

    The problem I have with your approach is you only have a half truth and your implication is that people who are eating too much are simply weak and/or stupid. I find it offensive and so do many people around here. Do some reading on satiety and regulation of food intake. The latest research indicates it is a far more complicated mechanism than you appreciated. It is regulated is a similar way to breathing. You CAN control your rate of breathing for a while, but your body WILL change the rate against your will if it wants more oxygen.

    I lost all the weight I originally wanted and kept it off without ever going hungry a single day by eating primal food. My willpower didn't get better and now worse. Clearly I've done something to throw of my hormonal homeostasis which is causing me to eat more calories. That is what I am going to address. No way, no how will I be counting calories at this point in my life (unless I developed thyroid or other hormonal issues which seems to make calorie counting necessary)
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  8. #8
    captaineight's Avatar
    captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    The problem I have with your approach is you only have a half truth and your implication is that people who are eating too much are simply weak and/or stupid. I find it offensive and so do many people around here.
    This is the problem, I agree. But for different reasons to you. Some people are quick to become offended, when there is no offence intended. Instead of just getting on with it, they get offended at any suggestion they are overweight because, up until this point in their life, they consumed too much energy and didn't expend enough. Instead they blame hormones, carbs, and anything else but their own eating and exercise habits. This is delusional thinking. There's a beautiful thing about taking responsibility: it mean you're taking control. People who blame outside sources (hormones, whatever) are effectively saying, "I have no control, I'm a victim of bad luck". How are they going to change their life then?

    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Do some reading on satiety and regulation of food intake. The latest research indicates it is a far more complicated mechanism than you appreciated. It is regulated is a similar way to breathing. You CAN control your rate of breathing for a while, but your body WILL change the rate against your will if it wants more oxygen.
    I absolutely agree that it's a very complicated and misunderstood issue. I'm not for a second suggesting people are overweight because they're "greedy" to the point where they're stuffing themselves even though they're full. I absolutely know for a fact that is not how it works. My point is that for -whatever- reason, they're overweight because they've eaten too much and moved too little. Step one is accepting this much.

    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I lost all the weight I originally wanted and kept it off without ever going hungry a single day by eating primal food. My willpower didn't get better and now worse. Clearly I've done something to throw of my hormonal homeostasis which is causing me to eat more calories. That is what I am going to address. No way, no how will I be counting calories at this point in my life (unless I developed thyroid or other hormonal issues which seems to make calorie counting necessary)
    No way, no how? Why not? Have you ever tried it? It's easy as anything, actually quite fun. The best thing about it is that you know for a fact it's going to work if you do it honestly and strictly. That just gives me more willpower. Not that you really need it. You'd be surprised. When I'm dieting, I rarely feel hungry. Sometimes a slight, but easily manageable twang, but that's it.

  9. #9
    ruby's Avatar
    ruby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    115
    Jammies I came here to post the exact same thing; I've also gained back 8 pounds suddenly after nearly two years of cravings and binge free eating (IF had always been so easy) suddenly I'm munchy all the time and leptin reset isn't working. I never snacked now if I try to just eat breakfast and dinner like I have been doing for almost two years I feel ravenous all day. I did do a short course of Cipro and also my thyroid meds were changed and my old endo believed that thyroid meds can act to increase hunger by aggravating stomach hormones but hearing others with the same problem not on thyroid meds I'm hopeful that it's not that (because I am otherwise better on this dose). I know I need IF to break this hunger/binge cycle but for the first time, abstaining from eating is causing more eating - a typical response for low fat low cal dieters, the opposite of my experience with paleo

    Anyway, you're not alone. We'll figure this out!
    Michelle
    totally primal since 5/16/2010, 41 years old my journal
    240+/128/121 (I'm 5'3")

  10. #10
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby View Post
    Jammies I came here to post the exact same thing; I've also gained back 8 pounds suddenly after nearly two years of cravings and binge free eating (IF had always been so easy) suddenly I'm munchy all the time and leptin reset isn't working. I never snacked now if I try to just eat breakfast and dinner like I have been doing for almost two years I feel ravenous all day. I did do a short course of Cipro and also my thyroid meds were changed and my old endo believed that thyroid meds can act to increase hunger by aggravating stomach hormones but hearing others with the same problem not on thyroid meds I'm hopeful that it's not that (because I am otherwise better on this dose). I know I need IF to break this hunger/binge cycle but for the first time, abstaining from eating is causing more eating - a typical response for low fat low cal dieters, the opposite of my experience with paleo

    Anyway, you're not alone. We'll figure this out!
    Thanks Ruby. Did the weight gain start with your thyroid hormone change? I think I have read that become hyperthyroid can cause weight gain for a few people.

    I generally have used IF as well - not long, just 14-18 hours. But I have been really struggling with it too. Not exactly sure why. Has your fat intake changed at all? I think mine has dropped a bit. I do KNOW that I have let too much sugar sneak back in to my diet. I have even gotten in the habit of having a small bottle of apple juice and a milky way candy bar 2-3 days a week . So ashamed So I guess I know what I am doing wrong. I'm just confused as to why now suddenly it is a problem. I need to stop with sugar and up the fat. I just wish it could be completely effortless like it has been all along......
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •