Thread: Hydrogenated oil in my toothpaste? page

allie Guest

Shop Now

Hi everyone, this question isn't really nutrition-related but I didn't know where else to put it.

I bought this toothpaste lately called Grants Extra Fresh Toothpaste with Tea Tree Oil. I just noticed the ingredients list has hydrogenated castor oil.

That sounds kind of nasty. Whenever I think 'hydrogenated', I think bad. lol

Sure, I'm not necessarily ingesting this stuff but I feel weird brushing my teeth/gums with it. Am I over-reacting?

andyincc Guest

On the authority of Abu Hurairah, may Allah be pleased with him, reported: the Messenger of Allah( may peace be upon him) said: were it not that I might over-burden my people I would have ordered them to use siwak (tooth-stick) at every time of the prayer, and in another transmit, in every ablution. Narrated by the two Imams of hadith.

On the authority of Abdullah ibn Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, that the Messenger of Allah said: " keep on doing tooth brushing because it cleans the mouth and pleasures Allah" narrated by al-Byhaki and al-Bukhari. And according to Aisha said tooth brushing cleans the mouth and pleasures Allah" narrated by ibn Majah from abi umamah, may Allah be pleased with them.

Islamic jurisprudence on tooth brushing:

An- Nawawi said it is sunnah and not compulsory in any condition through the consensus of the scholars.

Ibn al- Kayyim said: tooth brushing is recommended act for both fasting and non fasting person in any time because it is not specified in hadiths, also it is needed for a person whose fasting in the sake of Allahs pleasure and His pleasure is demanding in fasting than any other time, so purification is the best deed for a fasting person.

allie Guest

^ What?

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

The answer is "Perhaps Yes, Definitely maybe. On!"

Hydrogenated Castor Oil... Castor is like a Biver, right? SO, you get your front teeth orange after using this or what? lol

allie Guest

I'm not sure. No, my teeth have not turned orange, but if the hydrogenated oil wasn't enough to turn me off the product, then -that- certainly would. lol