Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground beef disgusting supermarket practices page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Ground beef disgusting supermarket practices

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone else REALLY gone off the idea of minced / ground beef recently?

BBC one off documentary, 'Supermarket Whistleblowers'. These are major UK supermarkets folks... if it can happen here it can happen anywhere!

9 mintues in, mixing cooked and raw ground beef: Whistleblowers: Supermarkets Part5 - YouTube

From the beginning, disguising past-it's-use-by-date meat by mincing it: Whistleblowers: Supermarkets Part6 - YouTube

and of course the recent article on pink slime: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread50362.html

Given I have no reliable source of ground meat, I think I'm gonna buy prime steak and run it through my juicer in future (it has a setting for ground meat, never tried it, and don't know how I'll wash all the attachments thoroughly afterwards, but it's gotta be better than this...) - And the stuff I've already got in my freezer from the store is going in the bin - Totally grossed out! It's gotta be avoided or else ground by me in future, I think.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    I make ground beef in my small crummy food processor. It works pretty well.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    I buy it from local organic butchers - and I trust them totally! I've bought cuts of meat and put them through my mincer (grinder) and the end result is the same - just meat! One butcher, when I asked what was in the mince, asked if I wanted to watch them make a batch. How honest is that?!

I NEVER buy meat from supermarkets. Rarely veg - I use them for tinned tomato, tinned salmon, sardine, wine, loo roll - not much else. Food is too important to me to buy crap and waste my money / health.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Oh dear. I'm not looking forward to watching that, I generally trust retailers like M&S and Waitrose for meat.

It doesn't install confidence in ANY supermarket, AMonkey! Watch from the beginning on you tube, all parts are there.

Penady is offline Senior Member
    I'm definitely turned off by supermarket ground beef now. It's starting to be generalized to a lot of supermarket items. Genetically Modified Veggies, anyone? Stop screwing with our food, please!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Well from the supermarket yeah, but I buy ground beef from my organic/grass fed/hormone free butcher, and its just beef.
    When I want ground pork or lamb, he grinds the meat for me at the time I buy it.

You're so lucky Ayla, I wish I had a butcher like that. For now I'll have to stick to frozen imported steak.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I am so grateful to have found him. He also has eggs from completely free ranging chickens, no grains at all. He is a huge shop and its always so busy. Just went there today and stocked up on lamb and beef

*jealous* Enjoy!

Hey, I just noticed that you went Primal at the same time as me, (October 24th, 2011). How have you been finding it Ayla? Have you lost much weight? Been feeling good, etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast