Thread: water filter (woe?) page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

water filter (woe?)

Shop Now
    I finally decided to stop buying bottled water and buy a filter. Hurrah! No more plastic estrogen mimickers!However, having done a bit of research I'm not sure I got the right one...

Maybe my filtered tap water is no better for me than my plastic bottle reverse osmosis 'mineral' water?

I got one of those 3 canister types of filter, it has an:
    'ion exchange filter',
    'activated carbon filter'
    and 'a sediment filter'

Is that going to get rid of any chlorine, flouride and other chemical nasties that may be in my tap water...?

(Cause I'm starting to think they will only be removed with a reverse-osmosis filter). is that right?

BananaLeaf is offline Member
    I'm not too familiar with the nitty-gritty of water filters, but I keep hearing about how great the Berkey filters are. I'm going to take a closer look at them when I'm in the market for a filter.

xntrik is offline Member
    The only methods I would trust to remove fluoride are reverse osmosis and distillation.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    I have well water so i dont worry about tap at my house...

At work I had RO water coolers installed and they make the city water taste freaking great...

Nady is offline Senior Member
    The activated charcoal will remove the chlorine~ don't know about the fluoride though~ I think you need a special filter if you don't have R/O.

Thanks, Nandy. I'm not sure if my water is flouidated, and not sure how I would go about finding out... At least the chlorine is no longer an issue, though a lot of what I read seemed to suggest that activated carbon only reduces the taste and smell of chlorine, and not the actual chemical itself.
    It's all so confusing!

Thanks, Nandy. I'm not sure if my water is flouidated, and not sure how I would go about finding out... At least the chlorine is no longer an issue, though a lot of what I read seemed to suggest that activated carbon only reduces the taste and smell of chlorine, and not the actual chemical itself.
    It's all so confusing!