Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White rice link seen with Type 2 diabetes, says study page 2

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It's nearly wiped out the population of china.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I agree that bad oils are a major health hazard. But I also think that as populations become more and more sedentary they become less able to handle simple carbohydrate.
    I agree that us being sedentary and confined to an office is a huge part of the problem, but I don't blame carbohydrate.

Interestingly, we eat the same about of carbohydrate today that we did 100 years ago, and 100 years ago, heart disease and diabetes was rare. Evidence shows time and time again that it isn't carbohydrate that causes diabetes and heart disease, but rather individual sources of carbohydrate AND fat. The big difference in our diet is the source of our calories, and our total calorie intake.

Real honey has been replaced with fake, boiled honey.
    Sugar has been replaced with HFCS and artificial sweetener.
    Wheat flour has been replaced with dwarf wheat flour.
    Butter and lard has been replaced by soybean and/or canola oil.
    Soy is in everything, where it used to be in nothing.

Also, we consume around 400 total calories a day more, yet the majority of the jobs 100 years ago involved manual labor where today hardly any do. Ironically, since carbs have held constant, and protein is relatively unchanged, the thing that increased dramatically is fat intake. We ate lower fat diets 100 years ago. The difference is, steak, potatoes, butter and traditional wheat flour, brown sugar and molasses have been replaced by chicken breast deep fried in soybean oil, GMO dwarf wheat flour and white sugar/HFCS. Does anyone not eligible for AARP cook and bake with molasses or real honey anymore? They used to be (surprisingly nutritious) staples in households for ages.

IMO, vegetable oils are the biggest contributor of modern disease, with GMO soy and GMO wheat being #2 and #3. I don't see as big of an issue with actual ancient wheat as an agent of disease for occasional treats, but not as a dietary staple. I feel like eggs and bacon have been replaced by cereal and pancakes nowadays.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    I would not be surprised to see a link, nor would I automatically write off any possibility of causation.

This is not to say that eating white rice will give you diabetes. It is a part of my personal glycogen refill protocol and can be very useful.

But, it is essentially a direct glucose injection, and when people with deranged metabolism eat white rice on top of an already "sugar based" diet, they are going to be asking for trouble.

If you're healthy, and looking for a clean carbohydrate to serve a purpose in your body, it's probably pretty benign.
    However, most people are already well on their way to insulin resistance and a bowl of white rice every night is not going to move that in the right direction.

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    This doesn't look any different than the studies that say red meat will kill you. It's observational, it shows a "link", and doesn't really ascribe a mechanism.

I give it about the same weight as I do all the other "fat kills" studies.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    In other news, correlation does not equal causation, researchers caution, citing the need for controlled studies to establish any prescriptive advice whatsoever.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Excess consumption of carbs can cause type II diabetes.

Rice is a source of dense carbs so of course it can be an agent of causation. That's a basic logical inference. No scientific studies required to back that up, thank you very much.

Pretty much any source of carbs can be the agent, especially when eaten in the context of a low fat diet and a sedentary lifestyle.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I agree that us being sedentary and confined to an office is a huge part of the problem, but I don't blame carbohydrate.

Interestingly, we eat the same about of carbohydrate today that we did 100 years ago, and 100 years ago, heart disease and diabetes was rare. Evidence shows time and time again that it isn't carbohydrate that causes diabetes and heart disease, but rather individual sources of carbohydrate AND fat. The big difference in our diet is the source of our calories, and our total calorie intake.

Real honey has been replaced with fake, boiled honey.
    Sugar has been replaced with HFCS and artificial sweetener.
    Wheat flour has been replaced with dwarf wheat flour.
    Butter and lard has been replaced by soybean and/or canola oil.
    Soy is in everything, where it used to be in nothing.

Also, we consume around 400 total calories a day more, yet the majority of the jobs 100 years ago involved manual labor where today hardly any do. Ironically, since carbs have held constant, and protein is relatively unchanged, the thing that increased dramatically is fat intake. We ate lower fat diets 100 years ago. The difference is, steak, potatoes, butter and traditional wheat flour, brown sugar and molasses have been replaced by chicken breast deep fried in soybean oil, GMO dwarf wheat flour and white sugar/HFCS. Does anyone not eligible for AARP cook and bake with molasses or real honey anymore? They used to be (surprisingly nutritious) staples in households for ages.

IMO, vegetable oils are the biggest contributor of modern disease, with GMO soy and GMO wheat being #2 and #3. I don't see as big of an issue with actual ancient wheat as an agent of disease for occasional treats, but not as a dietary staple. I feel like eggs and bacon have been replaced by cereal and pancakes nowadays.
    Really interesting post. Thanks for sharing this info.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    As a person who lived on candy, kool-aid and spaghetti until a few years ago, I can easily tell you I'm afraid of regular rice consumption. My body has been put through enough, and at best I can only delay the inevitable a bit longer than some other folks at this point. I'm all for high-carb paleo for those people who have never lived exclusively on Jack-in-the-box tacos for months on end. But my body is wracked. High-fat really has been amazing, with just a day or two of carbing up here and there on sweet potatoes or the rare non-primal dinner.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    As a person who lived on candy, kool-aid and spaghetti until a few years ago, I can easily tell you I'm afraid of regular rice consumption. My body has been put through enough, and at best I can only delay the inevitable a bit longer than some other folks at this point. I'm all for high-carb paleo for those people who have never lived exclusively on Jack-in-the-box tacos for months on end. But my body is wracked. High-fat really has been amazing, with just a day or two of carbing up here and there on sweet potatoes or the rare non-primal dinner.
    I'm with ya there, I can't eat it without feeling like crap. I crash HARD if I eat anything very starchy, especially for breakfast or lunch. Even an apple can make me feel like lead weights are attached to my eyelids, about 10 minutes after eating it! Rice is great for anyone who can handle it, but I'm definitely not in that bucket.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    It's nearly wiped out the population of china.
    every time i see those 'save the asians' commercials with celine dion singing in the background, i cry
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast