Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From My Grass Fed Farmer "PET FOOD"...... page

MMMM FAT is offline Senior Member

From My Grass Fed Farmer "PET FOOD"......

Primal Fuel
    Pet Food, All-Beef, 1 lb each
    1 lb package, ground liver, heart, tongue and kidney @ 3 bucks 1lb.

Anyone have any ideas for making this palatable ? Didn't know if this should be in recipes or nutrition, because the ingredients in this look offally nutritious

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    I would try a pate of some sort. I'll bet someone here has a great primal pate recipe. The mixture sounds, as you mentioned, wonderfully nutritious. I don't think I would want to give that to the dog! I'd want that for myself!

Big Jim is offline Senior Member
    Chili. Stew/soup. Shepard's pie.

MrsC is offline Member
    I've read that mixing small amounts of liver/heart with ground beef masks the taste somewhat and ups the nutrition level.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    I buy lamb "pet food" that's the meat, heart, and liver constantly. I mostly make chili or curry out of it. Turns out awesome every time. You'll find that the consistency of it makes it almost impossible to make burgers out of (unless it's really low on liver content) but it'll go great in stews and soups or even the occasional hearty omelet.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

jammies is offline Senior Member
    So there is no muscle meat in there at all? I would say that is going to taste pretty damned strong. Unless you are one of the very lucky folks who like offal a lot, you may need to cut it with a fair amount of ground beef.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsC View Post
    I've read that mixing small amounts of liver/heart with ground beef masks the taste somewhat and ups the nutrition level.
    Nah, I bought a package of 40lbs of US Wellness Meat's petburgers, and despite only being 5% ground beef heart and 5% ground beef liver, and the rest regular ground beef, I can fully taste both the heart and liver.

MrsC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Nah, I bought a package of 40lbs of US Wellness Meat's petburgers, and despite only being 5% ground beef heart and 5% ground beef liver, and the rest regular ground beef, I can fully taste both the heart and liver.
    Well, that's good to know! It's something I've been thinking about. Currently I can only tolerate chicken livers, made into pate.

Monika is offline Member
    I buy this pet mix at the farmers market..mix it with grass fed ground beef ..make primal tacos...put it on salads...or just season it and eat it with avocados!

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I will eat almost anything EXCEPT liver. Here's how get it to lose its bad taste. First marinate it overnight in a very spicy cajun style mix of spices, cayenne, paprika, salt, black pepper etc. Then cook it up on a skillet. Cook up a baked potato and slice an onion up and grill it. I leave the liver in the fridge for a day to let the spice seep in, then freeze it in 1 oz chunks.

Ok, when I'm ready to have some liver, I take out a 1oZ chunk, reheat it, then slice off an equal size of potato and an equal portion of onions, which I keep ready to eat in the fridge. Once it's on the plate, go back to your spice mix and sprinkle it directly on the liver, as much as you can stand. The liver and spices offset each other, making the liver tasteless. The liver kills the spices, so it's not too spicy either

I eat an ounce a day like this as an apetizer or just after my main course.

Beef heart I either grind up and mix with ground beef, or make a broth. The broth has a strong flavor, so I mix it with my regular beef broth. "hearty" taste disappears, actually improves the flavor of the beef broth.

Still looking to get some kidney and tongue.
    Last edited by dbalch; 03-17-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast