Thread: Just saying Hi! page

harambur is offline Member

Just saying Hi!

Primal Fuel
    Hello fellow Groksters.

Already filled out the questions in the other thread but I just wanted to talk a little bit more about myself here.

I am a reasonable healthy soon to be 44 guy. Had a few bad years in my 30s with my health, GERD and gall bladder stones. Basically due to a diet of fast good and chinese food. But because I never smoked and never drank heavily in my youth, amazingly I still had low cholesterol and good blood pressure. But those bad years saw me with panic attacks, anxiety attacks, sleep labs, and acid reflux. I experienced phantom pains in my bones, cranium. I felt electric currents passing through my body. Amazing the things you can feel when your body is sick.

Finally decided to take matters into my own hands and begin a nutrition and exercise journey. Began running and eating better and slimmed down. From 36 waist to 31-32. From 200 lbs to 155 lbs. Felt good but my gall bladder never healed. Finally removed it and felt normal again.

So for many years I have been almost primal. No soda, organic here and there, and luckily I don't have a sweet tooth. But my weakness was always bread. Love the stuff. Love it, in its infinite forms. But avoided red meat and limited fat according to CW. Still snuck fast food into the diet twice a month. But overall, I was healthy. Became an avid runner with several marathons under my belt.

Fast forward to 2012 and after being really fit for a few years, I had stopped running and starting to not eat as well as I could. I had always heard of Marky Mark, but never dug into his way of life. I had gained 20 lbs but was still reasonably fit. Blood pressure was creeping up for the first time in my life. Decided to look more closely at Primal Blue and bought the book.

I read the whole thing and was hooked on the biology and evolution, but totally floored on the red meat and fat thing. The grains and legumes also smacked me inside the head. It was like opening the blinds for the first time. It all just made so much sense. I knew immediately I could embrace this and the transition was going not going to be bad. Hardest thing was going to be giving up bread. But you know, after you limit carbs, the cravings for bread have gone away.

So now I am chilling on the primal, eliminated the grains and taking it easy with the running. Need to add weight lifting and I will have the exercise thing down pat.

I'm not going to obsess with how much carbs are in the fruit I'm eating. I'm just going to not eat grains and legumes, and add good fat and red meat to my diet. Always have eaten vegetables.

I am so psyched that staying fit and healthy can be boiled down to some nice easy concepts.

I look forward to continue reading his blogs and your stories.

rccrsphil is offline Senior Member
    Hey Harmbur,

Great story. I also 'smacked' my head when I first learned of Primal/Paleo and learning the terrible effects of grains/legumes, etc. the revelation seemed equivalent to Columbus' comment about the world is round vs flat. I can think all the way back to grade school where the food pyramid was instilled in each of us and that eating your 'Wheaties' would make you like Michael Jordan.

I agree my diet now is much simpler than it used to be and I'm totally ok with that. Good luck on your journey and look forward to seeing you on the boards!

harambur is offline Member
    Thanks.

The biggest change I have noticed is that my hunger cravings have all but disappeared. I get hungry but it's a normal hungry. Not the type of hunger that tells me I must eat right now and if I can't eat right now, stuff some quick carbs in me.

Luv the way I'm feeling. My face seems to have cleared up to. Funny since I am eating more butter.

I was amazed to find grass fed beef in my Publix supermarket. It was sealed in a vacuum though. Also found Coconut oil in the organic section! They also have wild fish.

I've lost like 5 lbs in two months already. I haven't been at 175 in a year. I use a wifi scale that logs my weight to an internet account so I scrolled back to see when was the last time I weighed 175 and it was like a year ago.

Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by rccrsphil View Post
    Hey Harmbur,

Great story. I also 'smacked' my head when I first learned of Primal/Paleo and learning the terrible effects of grains/legumes, etc. the revelation seemed equivalent to Columbus' comment about the world is round vs flat. I can think all the way back to grade school where the food pyramid was instilled in each of us and that eating your 'Wheaties' would make you like Michael Jordan.

I agree my diet now is much simpler than it used to be and I'm totally ok with that. Good luck on your journey and look forward to seeing you on the boards!