Thread: My Cholesterol page

zwschlei is offline Member

My Cholesterol

Primal Fuel
    My doctor said that my cholesterol was too high, and that I should take yeast rice tablets. Here are my levels:
    Chol i: 227; Trig 162; HDL i 74 H; LDL Calc i 121; Chol/HDL R 3

Any opinions, do you think I need to pay more attention to balancing out my Omegas 3's with 6's may that be the problem, or is it something else?

activia is offline Senior Member
    Looks fine to me. They keep lowering "normal" so they can sell more lipitor. Please watch this series:
    Chris Masterjohn on Cholesterol and Heart Disease (Part 3)
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

HeyChelle is offline Senior Member
    Seems like your trigs are really high. What is your diet like?

activia is offline Senior Member
    You do need to work on getting your tryglicerides down. That should be your main goal <100. What is your current diet, body fat mass, and how long have you been following it? Have you been losing weight? If so how long?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Agree that everything except for the trigs look fine. Get a few more of these drawn over a few days to see differences in your profile. Your body might have decided to unlock a lot of fat right before the blood draw...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    What he said ^^^

Echoing Masterjohn position, a single test is meaningless. I took notes on Kresser presentation at paleo summit. The wide variations day to day are so big you need at least 3 tests.

If trigs stay that high though you may need to look at what sugars you eat. But that said, there is a mechanism by which trigs are extracted from LDL. That may cause a spike. There is also a finger prick test like for glucose. Not as accurate as venous blood but good for trend following.

My trigs were 50 my HDL was 89 and my LDL 200 Iranian and I got the statin shit from my doc. So far as I am concerned, I eat clean, do my hiit 2x week, walk a lot, consume no toxins and go to bed at a decent hour and try to not stress. Stress can inclucde staring at numbers on a paper that are so infininity arbitrary...

zwschlei is offline Member
    My omega 6 to omega 3 may be out of wack, is that a possibility. I eat a good amount of brazil nuts, almond, steak, grass fed bison, bacon, and a ton of eggs.

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by zwschlei View Post
    My omega 6 to omega 3 may be out of wack, is that a possibility. I eat a good amount of brazil nuts, almond, steak, grass fed bison, bacon, and a ton of eggs.
    Theraputic doses of omega 3's are good at lowering triglycerides, but elevated trigs are almost always indicative of carb metabolism issues. Fructose is especially problematic. Take a look at what you eat and check for hidden sources of fructose, or perhaps cut down on fructose rich fruits like apples if applicable. Berries are a good substitute.

I've mentioned it before elsewhere, but I brought my trigs down from 355 to 115 in just a couple of weeks on a low carb, low fructose diet + fish oil supplementation. It's been 7 months or so since then, so I'd be very surprised if they weren't under 100 now.

This is a great time to recommend The Protein Power Lifeplan, by Michael & Mary Dan Eades.
    Great book with lots of info on this topic, and very primal friendly.

Also, be careful with those brazil nuts. They are a great source of selenium, which I use in lieu of supplementation, but you can overdo it. Limit yourself to one or two per day to avoid selenium overdose which can cause a bunch of nasty symptoms/complications.