Thread: My anti-cramp drink... page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

My anti-cramp drink...

Shop Now
    I made this the last time I did enough leg work to instigate cramps and it seemed to have worked. It's:

8 ounces of water (aside from the other five or six glasses of water I already drank!)
    One teaspoon of molasses (for the fuel and mostly for magnesium)
    A fat pinch of sodium bicarbonate for the buffering capacity. (This one's just a hunch, no evidence it's needed)
    And about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of good pink salt with trace minerals. (sodium)
    Stir and let it sit a minute to react and calm down, tastes like a strong Werther's Original or something, not too bad.

Also, having eaten a lot of sweet potatoes and avocados recently for the potassium is a good idea!

And I eat a lot of bone broth and organ meats.

Last time I drank it halfway through the hard work. This time I've done my upper body work and am going for a bike ride...because I see the sun.

I'll tell you if I ended up disabled for three hours or not...
    Last edited by Knifegill; 03-15-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

This worked! So I went for a slightly more strenuous ride today and drank it again, but since I didn't really sweat I left the salt out. Just molasses and baking soda.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

Karma is offline Senior Member
    You may want to read this: Sweat Science Electrolytes and overdrinking: Noakes vs. Gatorade

And perhaps listen to this: Do you really need electrolytes and water during exercise?

I have been testing the concept and since going off elecrolytes I have not had any worse cramp than while slugging electrolytes. YMMV.

Hmm. So far I'm having the opposite experience. I've had to avoid the stairs for years, and been afraid to bicycle more than a few blocks. Even now, if I so much as contract my giant rectus femoris for more then a few seconds, it turns to iron. I've been basically afraid to use my legs for so long, I can barely remember the fun I used to have. I'm all arms lately. I can climb things, do 20 chin-ups, 35 to 40 push-ups, hang on monkey bars all day. But any attempt to use my legs has resulted in the kind of pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. I think that, because most people have puny legs, they don't experience the same pain I do. I've read write-ups on cramps and NOBODY seems to mention that this is the worst pain a person can feel. I'd rather let a cow step on my nuts than EVER feel a cramp again. That, and if it happened when my wife wasn't around, I would be disabled, on the ground for God knows how many hours with an iron stick for a leg just writhing and screaming for help. I'm willing to bet that, in the history of man, few have felt pain like that. So after years of NOT trying any electrolytes, I'm giving it a whirl. And it seems to be working. But I'd never touch that garbage on the shelves. I just did some reading on sodium bicarbonate. Seems like it alone can prevent cramps...

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I've read write-ups on cramps and NOBODY seems to mention that this is the worst pain a person can feel. I'd rather let a cow step on my nuts than EVER feel a cramp again
    I feel your pain Knifegill. While it's probably worse in the legs, I went for 2 months with nightly foot cramps that were horrid. I would end up going off in a tirade of obscenity that could be heard by the neighbors while I clutched my foot. You could actually see my foot curling up as though it were trying to close into a fist!

I also had a knot in my head that was ever present, but just of varying intensity from day to day. Nowhere near as painful, but very irritating.

I too started eating more sweet potatoes, as well as coconut water for potassium, and doubled up on my potassium supplementation (total of 4 x 99mg), and some pink salt.

This has all but alleviated my symptoms, for which I am so thankful.

Anyone that hasn't had a "real" cramp might take it lightly, but if you found something that works for you, keep it up.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Dammit. I clicked on this thread without checking the poster name, in hopes that I would find a primal way to relieve my girly week.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I think that, because most people have puny legs, they don't experience the same pain I do. I've read write-ups on cramps and NOBODY seems to mention that this is the worst pain a person can feel.
    not sure if i agree with your logic, but yes i've felt this! last fall i went on a half day hike with some friends; they were used to hiking and i was (am) out of shape but hauling my toddler in a carrier and a bunch of water on my back (also nursing, which of course depletes water and minerals). the reaction was delayed, but that night i had to take a hot bath three times just due to the pain. it was excruciating. i had no painkillers in the house, and no other adults to help. i briefly pondered calling 911 it was so bad, but i'm somewhat used to that level of pain due to the severity of my menstrual cramps. anyway, i really think it's dehydration+electrolyte imbalance. when i'm working hard, it's not uncommon for me to just get red and overheated instead of sweating, and afterward when i drink a bunch of water i almost immediately start sweating.

I'm not afraid to exercise anymore! Going to try a slightly longer bike ride sometime soon. Can't wait to get out there and feel the wind again!

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug: