Thread: Question about Psyllium Husks page

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member

Question about Psyllium Husks

So I used to use psyllium husks every day, and they worked great for making everything... well regular. Since I read the book, I saw that we shouldn't be taking fiber supplements and we should be getting enough from our diet. I have since them stopped taking it, but I am not as regular as before. It has been almost 2 days! I have also started IF doing 1 meal a day, which also might have something to do with it.

I guess my question is, is this normal and should I wait it out? Did my body become reliant on the psyllium? Are there ways to naturally help become more regular?

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    Laxitive dependancy. You shouldn't have to take the husks of anything to have a BM.

Increase water and Magnesium. Then find some scientific studies on being "regular". The emphasis here is on the word "scientific".

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to shit everyday. When it does come, what's it like?

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    It's not as if psyllium is unnatural. Being constipated is not too good for the body either plus you'll have the stress of worrying about it.

I make flat (fry in a pan) cakes with LSA (1/2 cup) and psyllium (1 heaped tblsp), + baking power and an egg to bind, I have one under my breakfast meat patty and it is doing the trick nicely.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwarehank View Post
    You don't need to shit everyday. When it does come, what's it like?
    This problem is new to I'm not sure yet. I just know it's been about 2 days. How often should you be going then?

....and I'll look into some "scientific" studies I guess. Psyllium husks are not a laxative, it is simply pure fiber that you drink with water. The only reason I stopped is because I don't want to risk not absorbing minerals to my body's full potential. Otherwise, it worked pretty well.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Changing to eating 1x a day WILL change your digestive schedule. You will be crapping less, because your digestion isn't being pushed through multiple times a day(as it would with multiple meals).

You'll regulate - quit eating the sawdust, take magnesium and eat some veggies if you want roughage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Changing to eating 1x a day WILL change your digestive schedule. You will be crapping less, because your digestion isn't being pushed through multiple times a day(as it would with multiple meals).

You'll regulate - quit eating the sawdust, take magnesium and eat some veggies if you want roughage.
    hahahaha omg! It's true! It is like sawdust!

I have magnesium in my multivitamin, should that be enough?

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure, I take Natural Calm and if you take too much, it pulls too much water into your intestines and gives you the poops.

If you aren't getting enough water, it can cause problems too.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It really depends on what you've eaten, at least for me. Sometimes I'll go every day sometimes I'll skip a day or two. As long as the consistency is good and you're not getting stopped up I wouldn't be worried, I'm not.