Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Potatos or Quinoa??? page

garod82 is offline Senior Member

Sweet Potatos or Quinoa???

Primal Fuel
    I just had Quinoa as a rice substitue last night and it was very satisfying. I'm still trying to loose 10-15 more lbs. so I'm not trying to add too many carbs to my diet. I enjoy eating starches about 2-3 meals per week. My questions is which one is better for you pertaining to primal?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    quinoa has a lot of the antinutrients that we seek to avoid. it's a pseudo-grain, as loren cordain calls it. stick to sweet potatoes or white rice.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quinoa is fairly related to to a grain and sweet potatoes are amazing and a great source of primal carbs. I wouldn't say that I'd never recommend quinoa if it suits you, but I'd recommend sweet potatoes very highly to anyone.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes are a much better choice - you can tell from the color that they are packed with beneficial nutrients and not just a source of starch. Quinoa is an okay alternative if you really want something grain-like every now and then, but it's not as nutritious as a sweet potato.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quinoa is junk. Sweet potatoes are excellent for you and I would eat them over nearly any fruit or vegetable for a lot of reasons. I could live solely on sweet potatoes and steak.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Def sweet potato is better. I would at least soak Quinoa for 24 hours (dumping the water after) before consuming it, if consuming it at all. White rice would be better then Quinoa as well.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

garod82 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, thanks for all the input. It looks like I was going to be on the wrong path. Any other suggestions for a rice replacement? I'm ok without rice but i'm trying to get my wife on track with Primal. She's doing a good job but she's not ready to give up all carbs. I'm glad to see that I was eating the best carb with Sweet potatos. BTW for ultimate weight loss what's the correct Protein, carb, fat ratio?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garod82 View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the input. It looks like I was going to be on the wrong path. Any other suggestions for a rice replacement? I'm ok without rice but i'm trying to get my wife on track with Primal. She's doing a good job but she's not ready to give up all carbs. I'm glad to see that I was eating the best carb with Sweet potatos. BTW for ultimate weight loss what's the correct Protein, carb, fat ratio?
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter what your macronutrient ratios are. At all. I'm assuming your goal is to preserve lean muscle mass and burn fat, so in that case, you will want to be eating around 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. So, if you're 200 lbs with 20% body fat, you will want to eat around 160g of protein a day. You can exceed that if you wish, so don't worry if you go over 200g.

From there, as long as protein is held constant, it will not matter what your ratio of fat or carbohydrate is. Your rate of fat loss at this stage will be dictated by your caloric deficit. As long as your caloric deficit remains the same, it doesn't matter what your fat/carb ratio is. You will not lose fat any faster if you eat zero carbs and all the rest of your calories in fat. There is no metabolic advantage to a high fat/low carb diet. At all.

Lower carb/higher fat diets tend to be more successful than lower fat/higher carb diets for one reason: satiety. You will stay fuller longer eating your calories through meat, eggs and fibrous vegetables than you will eating chicken beast and pasta. This means you will be less likely to "notice" the caloric deficit, so you will be less likely to "fall off the wagon" and "cheat."

In addition, as long as you are eating real food carbohydrate, you have nothing to worry about in terms of health. Sweet potatoes, apples, bananas, carrots, squashes, cassava, parsnips, turnips, apples, berries - there is no reason to avoid any of these things on your Primal transformation. There is no health or metabolic need to drop carbs below a certain level. You will be just as successful eating eye round and sweet potatoes as you will eating ribeye and broccoli.

Fat and carb ratios are only important for you to maintain your lifestyle. If you find you love eating fatty steak and vegetables and you don't miss starch and fruit, then by all means, do that if that's what you can stick with. If you find you feel terrible without carbs, you're lethargic, your libido drops and you feel cold all the time, start eating more fruit and starch. All that matters is you avoid the bad stuff: grains, legumes, processed sugars, vegetable oils and artificial colorings/sweeteners/nasty chemicals. Eat real, whole food, and as long as you're maintaining a caloric deficit while keeping protein levels high and stable, you will see great success.

And there is no health reason to drop white rice. If you find it makes you crave bad stuff, omit it. If you find it doesn't set you off and you're able to lose weight eating it, then keep eating it.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-15-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

activia is offline Senior Member
    or try cauliflower rice
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter what your macronutrient ratios are. At all. I'm assuming your goal is to preserve lean muscle mass and burn fat, so in that case, you will want to be eating around 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. So, if you're 200 lbs with 20% body fat, you will want to eat around 160g of protein a day. You can exceed that if you wish, so don't worry if you go over 200g.

From there, as long as protein is held constant, it will not matter what your ratio of fat or carbohydrate is. Your rate of fat loss at this stage will be dictated by your caloric deficit. As long as your caloric deficit remains the same, it doesn't matter what your fat/carb ratio is. You will not lose fat any faster if you eat zero carbs and all the rest of your calories in fat. There is no metabolic advantage to a high fat/low carb diet. At all.

Lower carb/higher fat diets tend to be more successful than lower fat/higher carb diets for one reason: satiety. You will stay fuller longer eating your calories through meat, eggs and fibrous vegetables than you will eating chicken beast and pasta. This means you will be less likely to "notice" the caloric deficit, so you will be less likely to "fall off the wagon" and "cheat."

In addition, as long as you are eating real food carbohydrate, you have nothing to worry about in terms of health. Sweet potatoes, apples, bananas, carrots, squashes, cassava, parsnips, turnips, apples, berries - there is no reason to avoid any of these things on your Primal transformation. There is no health or metabolic need to drop carbs below a certain level. You will be just as successful eating eye round and sweet potatoes as you will eating ribeye and broccoli.

Fat and carb ratios are only important for you to maintain your lifestyle. If you find you love eating fatty steak and vegetables and you don't miss starch and fruit, then by all means, do that if that's what you can stick with. If you find you feel terrible without carbs, you're lethargic, your libido drops and you feel cold all the time, start eating more fruit and starch. All that matters is you avoid the bad stuff: grains, legumes, processed sugars, vegetable oils and artificial colorings/sweeteners/nasty chemicals. Eat real, whole food, and as long as you're maintaining a caloric deficit while keeping protein levels high and stable, you will see great success.

And there is no health reason to drop white rice. If you find it makes you crave bad stuff, omit it. If you find it doesn't set you off and you're able to lose weight eating it, then keep eating it.
    Good explanation of n=1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast