Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Primal/Paleo Meals

Shop Now
    I would say that most vegetarians see eggs/milk as the cast-off of the animal that doesn't harm them in the production (per se, depends upon method). My friend lived in rural india for years, where lacto-ovo vegetarianism was widely practiced, but different people (based on their station in life, class, etc) might be vegan or might even consume meat. It just depended.

When I was vegetarian, I would often make frittata bakes (big ones) which I could eat most of the week, as well as a lot of soups (pre-bone broth, but lots of diverse veggie broths), various salads, etc. I didn't eat a lot of grains/legumes because I didn't care for them.

Looks gorgeous.

Great thread - more inspiration is always good!

At the moment I'm favouring simple dishes that can be made super quickly, and are pretty fresh and green.

- Omlettes with mushrooms, olives, cheese (either feta or Camobere), and parsley (amazing vitamin C source).

- Cooked spinach with olive oil, salt and crumbled feta cheese.

- Fresh Mozzarella ball sliced and drizzled with olive oil, salt and basil leaves (served with lots of veggies).

- Salad of parsley, tomato and avocado (super foods galore).

I know i sound repetitive but: the cauliflower crust pizza is so good and does not need to include meat! Just grated cauliflower, egg and herbs for the crust. As a topping i use artichok hearts, fruited onions, tomatoes, raw (goat) cheese and spinach. See for the crust: Cauliflower Crust Pizza | RecipeGirl.com The grated cauli only needs 3 minutes to be done on 400mw.

- Dipping mushrooms in egg & herbs than bake = a nice filling snack!
    - Mushed tayer leafs & root (arrowleaf elephants' ear) in pepperbells. You can buy tayer in almost every tiny ethnic store or market, its cheap and super good! The root is used as a (carb) staple but the leafs are highly nutricious and include protein in relatively large amount (depending on quality).

Oh man, most of these suggestions have been a little depressing, but that cauliflower pizza idea sounds great! I'm going to have to try that out. Mine will be covered in meats and sausages, of course.

courgette or 'zucchini' soup:
    - Hack 2 courgettes into small pieces
    - Fill a pan with sprinkle of olive oil and ghee or butter (approx 20 grams), add 2 cups of boiled or hot water
    - Add some bone broth if you are non-vegetarian. if not: dried herbs and leafs, you may want to add more butter
    - Add the courgettes, boil for 10 minutes.
    - Use the blender to make a smooth soup, or just stir firmly.
    - The amount is good for 3 servings, or 2 big servings when not accompanied by a big meal or big salad.
    Last edited by halfbunny; 06-09-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
    Oh man, most of these suggestions have been a little depressing, but that cauliflower pizza idea sounds great! I'm going to have to try that out. Mine will be covered in meats and sausages, of course.
    Lol. Even though I made the depressing suggestions - I agree with you

And YUM re. the cauliflower pizza.

For lunch we had chips (cut up pre-boiled potatoes cooked in a generous amount of ghee, sprinkled with rock salt).

We havn't found a good pizza alternative (our one big fault with primal). So we've decided to stir fry up pizza toppings instead and just eat that.

Homemade tomato soup. Tomato puree, salt, garlic, onion, and EVOO. Hot sauce in it for me. Delicious, easy and works for primal or vegan.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Shop Now
    I had a great primal and vegetarian serving at a restaurant in Lyon last week: a variant on Salad lyonnaise. Remade it at home:

- Prepare a simple but big salad with two or three basic green leafy ingredients (+ onion or bacon if non-vegetarian), cut well
    - Mix or grate young goat cheese with egg. Use the proportion 75 grams of cheese: 1 egg, but that is just my preference! You can for sure use 2 eggs on 75 grams, or even 3 eggs if you use old goat cheese (the taste of older goat cheese is more prominent)
    - Put the mixed cheese/egg in several small ovencups or one bowl.
    - Oven on 140-160 celsius for 20 minutes, or 180 if you prefer a crispy outside/ soft inside, like me.
    - Put the hot boll of poached cheese/egg on the salad, which you have sprinkled beforehand with a mix of warm (!) fruit vinegar/ olive oil/ pepper (fresh preferable).

Its GOOOD!

Disclaimer: i am not a vegetarian, but prefer not to overindulge on meat for personal reasons. Yet, i don't judge you if you incorporate delicious bacon in this recipe.
    Last edited by halfbunny; 06-16-2012 at 03:26 AM.