Thread: Quick Question about IF page

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member

Quick Question about IF

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I am starting to really get the hang of the Primal Lifestyle, and LOVING it. I have decided that I would like to start IF to really jumpstart my weight loss and also to see what my body says once I start really listening to it. My question is this. I would like to start with the window in which I would eat only at say, 12-6pm tomorrow. Is it okay to change that time on Saturday? Or is there a reason to keep that window the same every day that I am doing this? My gut is saying that the answer should be "just eat when you are hungry", but since I am talking about fasting I thought I would ask some people that know a little more than I.

Thanks for the help!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    The reason for keeping an IF schedule is that your body produces a hormone, ghreylin, when it thinks it's time to eat. Meal and snack times tend to be habit forming quickly. So, while there is no reason not to make an exception from time to time due to thing going on in your world, I think it's a good it's a good idea to have more or less set eating times. YMMV

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I actually have an opposite opinion (just to confuse you!) My philosophy is that it's better to mix things up once in a while. I usually IF 8/16 as a general rule (I eat between 12-8pm), but sometimes I eat only in a 4 hour window, sometimes I do a 24 hour IF (from dinner to dinner), sometimes I have one huge meal in the middle of the day, then nothing till the next morning. I want my body to be functioning well regardless of my mealtimes, and I think that if I keep a set eating schedule everyday then I'll get hungry in anticipation of when my mealtimes are 'supposed to' be.

I thnk it's perfectly fine to experiment with different patterns of eating, find what works well for you. I always used to think that I had to eat breakfast the second I woke up because I always woke up feeling ravenous. Now, I wake up and tell myself, "I'm fine without food until noon, 4pm, whatever." and my body deals with it.

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for both of your responses! I think what I am going to do is keep to a schedule at first since I am a total newbie to IF, then possibly mix it up a bit as I get more comfortable. Honestly I was just trying to work around a St. Patti's day party that is starting late evening with Corned Beef and Cabbage on Saturday night! Mmmmm.