Thread: Optimal Fasting Days with Weightlifting Program page

mickst3r is offline Junior Member

Optimal Fasting Days with Weightlifting Program

Hey MDA Community-

I was wondering if there is any 'optimal' days to fast during the week when considering your exercise schedule.

Let's say Monday and Thursday I lift heavy things (weight lifting of the Starting Strength variety). Tues and Wednesday I'll play some pick up basketball (for fun mostly, but I get a good sweat in.) And Saturday I'll do some sprints with walks thrown in throughout the week.

If I wanted to fast two days in the week, what would be 'the best' days to do it?

And oh, I am somewhat of a 'weekend warrior,' so fasting on Fri and Sat aren't really options. Sunday MIGHT be if fasting on a hangover is OK.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Have you checked out the Leangains site? Martin has a lot of great info on this topic, and my suggestions come straight from him:

The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

He recommends (among other things) to fast through the night, continuing into the morning, and ideally breaking the fast around noon, just AFTER your workout. He also suggests to take BCAA just before your fasted workout to insure against muscle loss. He has several protocols if this schedule doesn't work for you (for example, if your workout will be in the evening after work, he has other options to choose from.)

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickst3r View Post
    Sunday MIGHT be if fasting on a hangover is OK.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Without my sounding like too much of a douche, you might want to reconsider drinking to the point of hangover on a regular basis. When your body is giving you that much of a message, you can only imagine the load you're throwing at it every weekend.

Most people are destroying their bodies with food but don't feel anything for years.
    You're kicking your own ass to the point where enough damage is done in an evening that you can feel it the next day.

I'm all for the weekend warrior mentality, and I see nothing wrong with kicking a few back, but maybe consider getting that blitzed only every couple of months instead of once a week.

I don't know how old you are, but I was guilty of this for a year or so in my early twenties and understand the appeal, but if you're taking the time to post on MDA, you obviously are willing to take steps/make sacrifices for your overall well being, and this is one worth considering.

Again, I'm not trying to be preachy at all. Live your life and enjoy the shit out of it, but be aware that you're doing damage if you drink to excess, so factor that into your decision, and then be happy with whatever you choose.

mickst3r is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    BestBetter- Thanks for that link.

NWPrimate- Don't worry about sounding preachy- i am in my young twenties and i'm aware of everything you've said. However, I'd like to get into more of a 'routine' and even if I go out hard once every two weeks it would break the routine- plus it's just easier with work and everything to follow through during the week.