Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Thailand...diet suggestions? page

foodaddict is offline Member

So i've been going primal for 2.5 months now and I feel great. I've only had a couple cheat meals/days which mainly occured during christmas. I have been quite consistent and I really dont find it too hard because I love what im eating.

However, im going to Thailand for 6 weeks and im super excited about it. Only problem is I really dont want to deviate too much from my diet. And in Thailand noodles and rice is a big part of their diet.

Has anybody been to Thailand and if so do you think it would be difficult maintaining a primal diet? I obviously dont expect to be completely perfect but like I said I want to continue to eat clean.

I do look forward to snacking on some coconuts though. lol.

Thanks

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"When in Rome (or Thailand)...."

Enjoy yourself. Don't sweat a short term variation.

You sound young. Don't sweat it. Enjoy yourself. Did I say that already?

Dan Guest

Don't sweat it...I spent the better part of 4 months in SE Asia last year and they love to eat animals. When ordering dishes at restaurants you can usually get the rice separate from the veggies/meat...especially in more touristy places. Or if on the go there's plenty of street stalls that sell "meat-on-a-stick". And of course on Khao San Rd you can be adventurous and go for the grasshoppers/spiders/etc.

But definitely don't worry about it, and I highly suggest you don't pass up on the pad thai or tiger beer...life's just too short

Thanks for the info. Im really looking forward to the food there. It sounds bad but its probably what im most excited about. lol.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

When Ive backbacked in south america and asia, the one advantage was being able to eat seafood for super cheap. The major downside is the meat- be careful, since most of it isnt processed and maintained in the 'cleanest' way (left outside, etc). There's always a lot of dried stuff, which is good (asian-style jerky).

Load up on the coconuts! Fresh coconut juice, Im jealous

Yeah thats a good point. Fish should be fairly inexpensive. Im not sure where I heard this but I heard in Thailand, Coconut is their primary fat in their diet along with butter. I believe I read this on Stephan Guyanets blog. He mightve been referring to another country but if not thats awesome news.

hmm, thats interesting. Lucky you, you'll see street vendor coconut stands where people will seperate the milk, the dried coconut, and the coconut water all in seperate bags for sale. Also, its easy to find small snacks and food-on-the go like kabobs of grilled chicken.

For emergencies, Id bring almonds/butter and jerky with me. should be fun!

Yep, I cant wait. So it sounds like you've been to Thailand? If you did, did you enjoy it?

Also, i've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now and I came across a thread about backpacking through Canada. Im not sure if you were the one who wanted to do that but if its you, good luck. that would be awesome. Its something I want to do within the next couple of years.

I went around SE asia, but only spent a little time in thailand, although it was amazing. there's so much to see. are you going with friends?

i wanted to do canada bc i backpacked other countries, and realized, that i hadnt even travelled in my own! im a bit nervous, i don't plan on following nuch of an itinerary

are you hostelling in thailand? have you tried couchsurfing?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yep, I plan on staying in hostels throughout my trip. I went to Costa Rica last year and backpacked for 5 weeks so i'm a little more comfortable going this time around even though its a different country. And yeah, im going by myself. Im a little different from my other friends, they arent really interested in doing the things I do. So I usually just do the backpacking stuff alone.

Never tried couchsurfing. Ive heard of it though. How about you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast