Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is Going On? page

What Is Going On?

Hoping somebody might have an answer! I have been eating primal for 10 weeks now, and am loving it! Hit a plateau where I didnt lose any weight for 2 weeks about a month ago, ( I have lost 24lb, still got 40lbs to go!), and this week, have not only stalled, but put on a little! Apart from a little cream in coffee twice or three times a day, I dont eat anything that is not primal, no sugar, grains, fruit,etc. I IF once or twice a week, and exercise 3-4 times per week. Yesterdays food was:

Breakfast: 3 very thin butchers sausages with 2 eggs fried in butter.
    Lunch: 2 salmon fillets
    Dinner: 1 home made lamb burger with approx 2 cups of mixed veg: red pepper, onion, spinach, courgette & mushroom stir fried in butter with a little dried chilli. 2 tbsps greek yoghurt with mint and cucumber.
    Snacks: 2 cups of coffee with a little cream, 2 slices of good quality ham, 1 cup of rooibos tea.

We eat organic/free range (grass fed), dont drink alcohol or sugary drinks.

We eat as above most days, although probably 4 days out of 7 I dont have breakfast as I cant eat so much food any more!

Am I doing something wrong, or just being too anal about everything??

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Don't panic! You're doing great. 2.4lb a week is outstanding progress, but unlikely to continue at that rate indefinitely. So you put on a pound this week? No worries, give it a few more weeks and see how you're doing. Your diet looks fine to me.
    I can be upto 2kg up or down from morning to afternoon depending on when I eat and what, ahem, bodily functions I've performed. You're doing so well, don't lose faith just because of a one week scale anomaly.

I just noticed you've plateaud for a month. Sorry, missed that bit. I stick by my original comment tho. Did you take measurements when you started? Equally, if not more, important for guageing progress as weigh-ins.
    I also noticed you're from Bristol. I lived there for 5 years. Such an awesome city.

Hi, thanks for reply. Sorry I didnt plateau for a month, just for 2 weeks about a month ago. I have measured and the inches have melted away, bout 7" from my waist, which is fantastic! I am not disheartened as we love this way of eating, just wanted to make sure that I wasnt doing anything wrong!
    I live between Bristol and Bath, in a place called Keynsham.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Agreed that measurements are the most important, I never weigh myself so I couldn't tell you if I lost weight eating Primal or not! besides, if you are exercising too it's possible you are building muscle and we all know that maxim...muscle weighs more than fat
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by michellethompson View Post
    Hi, thanks for reply. Sorry I didnt plateau for a month, just for 2 weeks about a month ago. I have measured and the inches have melted away, bout 7" from my waist, which is fantastic! I am not disheartened as we love this way of eating, just wanted to make sure that I wasnt doing anything wrong!
    I live between Bristol and Bath, in a place called Keynsham.
    Ah, I get it. Intermittent plateaus are pretty common from what I gather from other forum members. 7" from your waist is brilliant! Well done. Nothing wrong with your diet as far as my untrained eye can see.
    I know Keynsham. Sort of. I used to live in Bath, and get the train to Temple Meads every day for work, so many 1-minute stays in Keynsham there!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've plateaued for way longer than 2 weeks along the way. I'm not sure how to break out of the current one. I'm trying Fast-5. I have been trying increased carbs too but that is NOT WORKING.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Your diet looks fine, although I wouldn't be afraid of some fruit every now and then. Fruit is perfectly Primal and not something to completely avoid.

What are you doing for exercise? Might be time to try sprinting and Lifting Heavy Things if you aren't, yet! Also make sure you are getting in plenty of walking or other slow moving--it makes everything in your body work better.

If exercising isn't the issue, you can play with adding and removing various amounts of starch (sweet potato, bananas, white rice, tapioca are all safe sources) and maybe some fruit, to see how you respond. Low-carbing is not for everyone, and sometimes the strategy you used for the first 20 pounds won't keep working for the next 20.

Also, Mark's got some excellent guides to intermittent fasting, which is a good tool to keep in mind as well. Today's post was about that too.

If you do make changes, make sure you stick with them for at least a few weeks to see how you respond before deciding that they do or don't work, and good luck!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    You could try eating less (for example 1 salmon fillets instead of 2 or 1/2 a burger instead of whole). I might get crucified for saying this, but calories do matter to some degree.

Also, I noticed that you are very low carb. Some people have success breaking plateau by upping their carbs (try eating some fruit or a sweet potato).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all your help. My exercise routine is usually that I walk for 6 miles once a week, swim 30/40 x 25m lengths twice a week, do the sprint thing for 20 minutes once per week (out of each minute I sprint for 20 secs then walk for 40 secs), do a 15 minute weights routine once or twice per week and generally never sit down from 7am til 9pm!! I am thinking of doing the sprint thing every night on my cross trainer, before bed, would this help or not? I guess I could up my carbs, but I am scared to go back onto the stuff I used to eat, had such a hard time withdrawing back in January! Anyway, will see what this week brings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast