Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starvation vs Eating non-paleo page 2

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoPaleo View Post
    I would say skipping would be better. It all depends though. Skipping meals is not necessarily starvation. Starvation mode kicks in if you've skipped many meals, sorry, I don't remember exactly how many meals though. Does that answer your question?
    I think its more then 3 days.

Fast thru it (it's actually GOOD for your body to do this), or get a sandwich and throw away the bread. I somehow am always able to find primal options when I look if I really need it. There really isnt a need to go with non-primal options. I usually just prep ahead of time.. or make hard boiled eggs before I leave.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    well skipping isn't a bad thing, and you aren't going into starvation...

plus look at it this way, if you can't cook/no time, or you go out with friends. just remove the crap from the food. if you go to a burger joint, throw away the bun and don't order fries.

pretty much anywhere but a tofu restaurant there will be food there you can eat, just modify it for primal needs...

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    You don't drop below your regular basal metabolic rate until something like 36 hours of fasting. Even then that's a long way off from "starvation mode". Regularly fasting for even a couple of days at a time, as long as you are eating enough food between fasts and of good quality, won't hurt you a bit. Just skip lunch.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Grok View Post
    well skipping isn't a bad thing, and you aren't going into starvation...

plus look at it this way, if you can't cook/no time, or you go out with friends. just remove the crap from the food. if you go to a burger joint, throw away the bun and don't order fries.

pretty much anywhere but a tofu restaurant there will be food there you can eat, just modify it for primal needs...
    Even at a local vegan restaurant some of my friends like, I can find something to eat. They have gluten-free options, so I order this mushroom and vegetable soup that has no tofu or anything in it. No, there's no protein, but it allows me to have something and be companionable with my friends if that's where people have decided to meet up.

But really, you can fast (which is a good choice in some circumstances), or you can stop in at a grocery store and pick up a salad and some hardboiled eggs (the shops here have hardboiled omega-3 eggs in a two-pack), you can make sure to have some paleo-friendly snacks like jerky around for emergencies, you can ask them to modify your order, or you can order the closest to paleo you can find on the menu and accept the imperfection as a 20% item. You don't have to order a sandwich, that's just the easy way out. I've been a celiac for years, and I've never been so stuck for food that I had to order something that came on bread.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    I think its more then 3 days.

Fast thru it (it's actually GOOD for your body to do this), or get a sandwich and throw away the bread. I somehow am always able to find primal options when I look if I really need it. There really isnt a need to go with non-primal options. I usually just prep ahead of time.. or make hard boiled eggs before I leave.
    +1
    Thanks!

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    I think it's day by day basis and you can't really make a generalization. If you are not too hungry, stick it out and do a little IF in the meantime. If you are starving, eat something non entirely paleo (80/20 rule). I think people, including myself are guilty in over analyzing things on this diet and become obsessive.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post
    I think it's day by day basis and you can't really make a generalization. If you are not too hungry, stick it out and do a little IF in the meantime. If you are starving, eat something non entirely paleo (80/20 rule). I think people, including myself are guilty in over analyzing things on this diet and become obsessive.
    good point. i actually eat non paleo foods and i'm still losing. can't say if it's 80/20, 70/30 but it works for me. you're right, you can't really make a generalization.

dottjt is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scjohnson243 View Post
    Dot,

If you are coming from a "regular" diet, this will be completely different. With "Old" diets I would always have that hungry feeling all the time - and skipping a meal was torture because I always seemed to WANT to eat. When you start with this one, you will realize your eating most of the time and not really hungry - I was just looking at another diet that is talking about eating 6x a day (the normal diet) and I just dont see how people do it. I had my omelet this morning and I brought a big hamburger patty for lunch, and its about 50/50 if I'll eat it or not because I just wont be hungry.

For the simple answer, Fasting is the way to go if you cant eat primal/paleo. But I think you will be surprised on how easy that is to do once you get going on this.
    It's that I'm quite busy and I'm constantly trying to keep as active as possible. I've been going paleo for a couple of months and it's great, however If I'm doing mentally intensive activities that require my full attention for a long period of time I find it quite difficult to fast. Yet again, it could be that I'm not used to it.

dottjt is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for all the responses

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Concentrate on adapting to the lifestyle instead of finding reasons not to observe it. I rarely find myself in a position where there isn't acceptable food. I'll fast if I do

There is never an excuse for not having made provision for good food for yourself. If you don't have time to cook then make sure you have food that you can eat cold or reheat. Pretty basic
    agreed! i always have nuts or beef jerky in the car in case i am super hungry. however, for the most part i am not that hungry because eating primal makes it so you do not get hungry between meals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast