Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VLC now "fatter" than ever.....seeking help with carb refeeding page

balanced is offline Member

VLC now "fatter" than ever.....seeking help with carb refeeding

Shop Now
    Started primal about 6 months ago with the intention of eating good clean real food, increasing energy levels, improving muscle tone and dropping some body fat. I started out at a healthy weight and what I assume to have been a healthy metabolism....5'3"; F; 108lbs. I felt great for a couple months with a noticable difference in my waistline and muscle tone. Then, I don't know what happened!! My energy is low, my moods are up and down, and I have grown a soft layer of fat around my midsection and thighs! I still weigh the same but can't get into my jeans. My menstral cycle is all over the place and I am feeling somewhat depressed and confused....even angry that I let this happen to myself! I think I have wrecked my metabolism and sent my hormones into a tailspin by eating so much fat and so little carbs.

I have been reading a lot about carb refeeds and other people having problems with this similar experience of weight gain on VLC. This week I took a break from primal/ VLC and ate some bread, a little pasta, a beer or two, and even some ice cream. This is certainly not a path I want to continue down but I know my body needs more carbs I am just not sure how and when to work it into my schedule. Choco, Resident Refeed Expert, if you or any others who are skilled at carb refeeds are out there reading this I would love some suggestions and guidance. I am so confused and just want to do the right thing before I do anymore damage....and need to buy a new wardrobe!

BTW, I am a yoga and pilates instructor and personal trainer as well as a busy mom of three young children. My workout schedule includes two days of lifting, one day sprint, 2-3 days power yoga and 1 day pilates. I try to take one day off a week which may include a long walk/hike or just playing with my kids. I get 7-8 hours sleep most nights. I have been consuming about 100g protien, 50-100g of carbs and 80-110g of fat on most days.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain. VLC did me no favors. I still have VLC days and don't feel guilty if I don't get fruits or veggies every single day, but I certainly don't make it a habit anymore.

I look forward to hearing others' responses.

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    If you don't need to lose weight you can up the carbs to 100gms to 150gms per day.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...#axzz1p9S9uJ3w
    Last edited by kkarrolle; 03-14-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added link
    Achieving goals takes a backbone not a wishbone

jakey is offline Senior Member
    hi, when you say 50-100 grams of carbs, are we talking about real starch? or are you counting the carbs listed for broccoli and onions and stuff like that? i'm not big on 'refeeds' as a concept, but i'm big on getting starch everyday, about 20% of my calories. i hold steady at that amount, and take in more on days when i lift.

i see no point in going VLC or ketogenic all the time. having a day in ketosis is one thing, living in ketosis is another. you will most likely bump into problems, it's a matter of time. sounds like you're there.

if you make it a point to include primal starches (sweet potatoes, peeled regular potatoes, plantains, taro, yuca, or white rice) everyday, you won't have to do a 'refeed.' you won't crave bread and pasta either.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Don't equate carbs with grains and sugars. There is a bounty of healthy beautiful carbs you can incorporate in to your diet - squash, fruit, honey, sweet potatoes, plantains and white rice would all be better choices.

Do you eat liver, bone marrow, bone broth, brazil nuts, sea vegetables, or oysters? These foods contain nutrients that can be difficult to get in sufficient quantity eating a diet of mostly muscle meat and low carb veggies - so I would suggest adding these foods to your diet as well.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    It took me a while to warm myself back to white rice, and I'm happy to have reintroduced it. I had some today, spiced up w/ sardines; and didn't suffer carbocoma..

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I'm confused because I don't consider 50-100g carbs 'very low carb.' That may be low carb, but 'VLC' is usually less than 25g daily. Also, what is your calorie level? Is it possible that you've been consuming more food with Primal eating, and thus the fat increase? I really don't think lowering carbs by itself ever causes fat storage. In the absence of excess 'fuel,' the body doesn't store fat.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Carb refeeds are usually used in conjunction with heavy lifting.

I'd just add in starch to you diet that works for you(starch is generally safer than fructose, but experiment if you want).

A good way to start is to eat a potato or done white rice with dinner.

You experience is very common and adding carbs almost always helps.

balanced is offline Member
    Jakey, thanks for the suggestion. I think adding in some starch everyday may be a good place for me to start. Do you suggest adding with dinner? How much? How much rice do you suggest would provide a reasonable amount of carbs for someone my weight/size? How many carbs do you think I should be consuming each day? Should I be eating starch with every meal? Should I lower the amount of added fat I am consuming? What about coconut oil and butter? Should I drop some calories to get rid of the extra fat I accumulated around my waist?

SickOfBeingTired is offline Junior Member
    I think you're too busy and causing stress to yourself. Women can't work as hard as men do and expect results. I suggest slowing down somewhere and try again. :-D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast