Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont have time to cook for lunch at work, Living in NY page

limerickman is offline Junior Member

Dont have time to cook for lunch at work, Living in NY

Shop Now
    Hey all newbie question. Just started working in New York and I am started to go primal next week. Its bloody hard to find places that i can stick to primal and worse still the cost of eating at a good resuarant is very costly in Tribeca. I work long hours so dont want to cook unless i really have to. Advice please? can people here who have overcome this problems post tips for me. Thanks in advance...

activia is offline Senior Member
    Here are some quick lunch ideas.. (these all take under 10 mins and VERY little effort in the kitchen..no watching over them)
    pre-make some primal mayo for the week..
    Open a few cans of tuna, throw mayo and spices on top
    Hard boil some eggs (you can get a nice device that times it for you), top with mayo, spices, and cooked veggies
    Throw some meat right in the crock pot the night before with some spices (double or triple portion)
    Take chicken breast with skin, put skin side down..throw in the oven with olive oil onion powder/garlic powder/ or whatever else you like.. cook for 30 min

You can buy bags of veggies that you just have to throw in the microwave to cook, both fresh and frozen
    you can buy pre-cut veggies, or just cut up a few servings worth 2 nights a week, then throw them together in a salad or bring the ingredients with you and cut them up at work.. then throw the crock pot chicken on top, or the hard boiled eggs in it, or the tuna on top
    Or you can take that crock pot meat and just grab a bag of frozen veggies, and heat the veggies up at work throw the juices on top with the meat, and boom nice warm meal
    Or make a large pot of soup on Sunday and have it for 2-3 days.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

activia is offline Senior Member
    All that would take less time and effort then finding a place and going there/paying etc. Also much better quality.. just do your shopping on the weekend.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    I'll second the soup/chili/broth leftover idea during the week. Cook that up during the weekend, enjoy the leftovers during the week and the great thing is they'll just get BETTER tasting as the week goes on.

If you don't want to do that, have a huge breakfast so you don't have to worry about lunch. Can't go wrong with Bacon and Eggs.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm currently pulling 40-50 hours of work, and 13 credit hours of school. My saving grace is egg salad, tuna salad, and scrambled eggs. My crockpot fills in the rest.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    I get you - work too much and sometimes I don't want to cook on the weekends (although I do try to cook some most weekends). Add to that packing the food and remembering to carry it -- ackkkkk.
    A salad (greens washed are easily purchased) stuffed in a ziplock bag with a can of tuna and half an avocado -- add a mix of vinegar and oil (you don't need to keep this basic in the frig unless you add herbs so you can put together a mix over the weekend - is an easy option.
    But when things are crazy tight - you work in Manhattan - you might find Chopt an option for lunch - not perfect but reasonable.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

jakey is offline Senior Member
    you're going to have to get used to cooking, that's the crappy news. sundays are cooking days in my apartment... so it goes.

if i do need a quick no-cook lunch i grab tuna in olive oil with a 2 oz piece of cheese and a ripe plantain (starchier & heartier than a banana).

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Um, make double for dinner.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Um, make double for dinner.
    This is what I do about 75% of the time. Otherwise I take ten minutes in the morning to fry up a couple burger patties and toss it on some frozen vegetables.

It seems very overwhelming to do all this at first, but if you stick with it you will get some systems in place and will get much more efficient.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Handful of green leaves, plus cucumber, tomato, avocado, and protein of the day, covered in olive oil and balsamic with salt and pepper...easy.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast