Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on snacking between meals? page

Nelle is offline Senior Member

What is your opinion on snacking between meals?

Shop Now
    What is your opinion on it?

I was just browsing some of these threads and someone mentioned that snacking between meals is not good. They said it can spike insulin levels and whatnot and it's better to fast until lunch/dinner. But being that I am brainwashed by the Standard American Diet, I've always had a light snack between meals otherwise I'll get a headache by lunch/dinner time from being TOO hungry. My breakfast is either 6am or 7am depending on my work schedule and I'm not able to eat until 11:30am at the earliest, 12:30pm at the latest. (I am a nanny, my eating schedule revolves around a screaming baby) That is far too long between meals so since starting Primal, I eat a handful of nuts with some raisins and it holds me over until lunch. But is it bad? Why is it bad? By bad, I mean will it cause me to gain weight or not lose weight? Will it Eff with my blood sugar? It's nice being headache-free and not super hungry and dragging by lunchtime but I don't want to do the wrong thing. My goal is to just eat better and hopefully lose weight along the way but I'm trying not to obsess.

Opinions and comments appreciated!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Um that would be wrong!

Nooooo we don't need snacks.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    What is your opinion on it?

I was just browsing some of these threads and someone mentioned that snacking between meals is not good. They said it can spike insulin levels and whatnot and it's better to fast until lunch/dinner. But being that I am brainwashed by the Standard American Diet, I've always had a light snack between meals otherwise I'll get a headache by lunch/dinner time from being TOO hungry. My breakfast is either 6am or 7am depending on my work schedule and I'm not able to eat until 11:30am at the earliest, 12:30pm at the latest. (I am a nanny, my eating schedule revolves around a screaming baby) That is far too long between meals so since starting Primal, I eat a handful of nuts with some raisins and it holds me over until lunch. But is it bad? Why is it bad? By bad, I mean will it cause me to gain weight or not lose weight? Will it Eff with my blood sugar? It's nice being headache-free and not super hungry and dragging by lunchtime but I don't want to do the wrong thing. My goal is to just eat better and hopefully lose weight along the way but I'm trying not to obsess.

Opinions and comments appreciated!
    A handful of nuts and raisins isn't going to hurt you too bad between meals. One of Mark's things is, if you're hungry, eat. Now for some people (like myself) we've been so brainwashed by the SAD and CW that we don't know what are bodies are telling us. For me, I play it safe, don't snack between meals unless I'm dying for something.

If you do snack, snack well. Nuts and raisins aren't horrible for you but both have downsides (raisins have some sugar in it, nuts high in sodium, both can mess things up). I would recommend grabbing a piece of meat-get some protein. Or, make a bigger, better breakfast to hold you over till lunch. I know for me that I had issues trying to figure out the balance between meals and so I just opted to get everything I needed in one meal and don't eat the rest of the day.

Ultimately, the beauty of being Primal is that it can be tweaked to fit the individual. From what I'm seeing, it seems your doing good. Keep eating well, make some time for some exercise (not hardcore stuff, simple things like walking) and you'll do fine.

Nelle is offline Senior Member
    Whoa that video is crazy! Thank you for your replies.

This is a simple diet but the opinions on what's best is confusing. Ignorance is bliss, eh? It was nice & easy when the media & gubment tells you what you should eat. (kidding, kidding)

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    If you are genuinely hungry, eat. There nothing wrong. Eat real food and you are fine. Many people however, find that on primal their blood sugar levels are such that they do not need to eat often, and two significant meals per day is all they need. Work out what your body prefers. It toot a long time for me to realise that my body is actually quite capable of performing well without food, until after midday

Destroying The Illusion of Appetite
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Snacking is definitely suboptimal. It takes the body about three hours to clear the insulin spike after a meal. After that your body can start burning stored fat. Until then it can really only burn glucose and store fat. If you want to lose weight you have to stop snacking

5-7 hours between meals is easy if you are adapted to it. You do it every night, why shouldn't you be able to do it during the day?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Completely unnecessary.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Snacking is unhealthy. First people tend to eat less real food that way. More importantly, it's the opposite of fasting, which heals your body. Keeping yourself in a constantly fed state doesn't allow it to heal.

Slowly eliminate it.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I feel like for me, snacking is another chance to make a bad decision. I also noticed- my busiest, most active days, I don't have time or need to snack- I was a BIG boredom snacker!

I also think the feeling of hunger does not necessarily mean you need to feed yourself. I just felt hungry. I ate a ginormous breakfast 3 hours ago. I don't need food. In 6 hours, I'll be walking my dog with plenty of energy despite not feeding my hunger. To me, that means my body did not need fuel just now.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    I've gone the no snacking route on purpose and I was nothing but stressed out about it. Leaving the option in takes the stress away and had allowed me to finally shed some pounds. There are days when I don't snack in between meals for one reason or another. On other days, I'm grazing. I just go with the flow.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast