Page 68 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal, Alessandra page 68

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just found a brand of Dark chocolate that I really like. Stupid name - "Giddy Yoyo" but damn is it good chocolate! 72% but with not too much chocolate, organic, and no soy lecithin.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Alessandra is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the soy thing is what usually gets me. Like all the other ingrediants looks so yummy! Then BAM! SOY LECITHIN Why do they have to ruin a good chocolate bar with that stuff

I did have some salt water taffy today...... I've been really good about resisting most sweets around me because I know what's coming with the ingrediants even if I can't see the list. However, it's just one of those things from my childhood that makes me think of home and being at the beach. It was a rare treat for us as kids. We didn't have too many sweets in our house until I was probably in my mid teens.
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

I got some unexpected down time yesterday evening so I chose to go to the gym for a bit. I think that was a better idea than taking a nap! Gabi went to a church lock in and I had nothing else going on because I was going to have both of us go to the gym anyway. I kept it easy in the weight room because I wanted to swim a little bit last night. Woo! That water was cold! I thought it was going to be a little warmer. That definitely helped me to wake up!

I went to Jason's because I didn't feel like cooking for myself and TJ Maxx is right next door to them. Roxy has some new toys to mangle and she was clearly happy about that last night when I finally got home. I needed a new book for book club so I hit up B&N where I ..... had a coconut macaroon....... with some Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea.

I had to work today and I almost didn't eat meal 1 because of the coconut macaroon. Then I remembered that if these guys bring in food to work for breakfast, it's never something I like to eat. It's usually doughnuts and such. So, fish is was before I left the house.

Friday April 12
    Meal 1: Brisket and bacon
    Meal 2: Rueben minus the bread and a side salad with a few salt water taffy's
    Mini Meal 3: The last of the mustard glazed chicken
    Meal 4 after workout: Chicago Club minus bread and salad bar
    Drinks: Iced tea, water, and Hot Cinnamon spice tea
    Exercise: Morning Dog walk, weight training, and swimming
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

Looks like yesterday was a bad day for me when it came to sweets and being hungry. While I opted for stuff that I knew wouldn't kill me, I feel like I let go a little too much for myself. The good news is that I am starting a challenge between myself and my kid. I was met with a questioning stare from a friend because she doesn't agree with it. I can understand why she doesn't, but I also know that my kid is becoming unhealthy. I challenged her to see who could lose the most starting today through June 7. That's her last day of school. However, I did not say that she had to go the primal/paleo route. She does have to clean up her eating and get more active. I also allowed her help from friends and such. She was warned of what she wasn't allowed to do. She did get mad at me at first when I told her because she was surprised that I thought she would think of any other options. Being a mom of a teenage girl and once being a teenage girl, I know how some of them think. I haven't opted on a prize for the winner yet. I told her that if I win I won't be getting anything. So I basically have to figure out what to get for her.

Today means straight up clean eating. So I actually need to keep the foods out that I've been doing pretty good about avoiding, but having occasionally. I hope I can set an example for her this time without any major interupptions. I think the most important thing for me with her is getting her active again. The second thing is to get her off of so much sugar in her diet. Really, if she'd let those things go, I'd be fine with other stuff for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    I hope I can set an example for her this time without any major interupptions.
    Maybe interruption is what you need. You make it sound like this challenge is just for her when we both know that it's for you too. As much as the challenge is between you and Gabi it is about you and you need to make it about you first if you are going to be successful.

Want a fun way that the two of you can learn more about sugar? Check out the documentary "The Men who Made Us Fat" together. It talks about how and why corn and corn sugars made it into all of our food. It will make her more aware of the ingredients in her food (and yours)
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt

Sweet! Thanks. That might be good for us to watch tonight. It is about me too, but I know my daughter is competetive. I am not. We are complete opposites. I just do stuff to do it where as she wants to win yet not to the point where it would hurt someone else.

She actually used one of the recipes out of one of my cookbooks yesterday because it's spicy. She likes the buffalo burger recipe from Practical Paleo. I know she likes some of the recipes in there. She did get on me about cooking with fat last night. Dang kid, it's like it went in one ear and right out the other. In order to keep the bison meat from drying out, I had her add some regular olive oil to the meat. Then I cooked them up in the bacon fat. "Mom, I don't want to use too much fat to cook with because it's bad for me." It's like she took two steps back, but I have to remember I'm not holding her to how I eat.

Monday April 15
    Meal 1: Pork chop, mushrooms, and yellow squash cooked in coconut oil
    Meal 2: The chicken thighs that mom had cooked on Sunday (It totaled about one so far as meat was concerned), a few leftover brussell sprouts, some berries, and 1 large avocado
    Snack: 1 chiken and apple sausage then some coconut flakes with a bit of ground up sea salt added.
    Meal 3: 1 regular bison burger (we split the pound of meat up) with some yellow squash and some liver wurst.
    Drinks: Water
    Exercise: Morning dog walk, one walk around the building at work, and a weight training workout at the gym

Poor girl is confused as ever. People outside are telling her fat is bad for her and she's impressionable. Maybe hearing why certain foods are good or bad may help. She's being told things but I doubt she's getting explanation of why things are good or bad. Just bro science logic like "fat will make you fat because it sticks to your body". We know that's a load of horseshit but I feel bad for her as she struggles to figure out what's actually suitable for her diet.

I am always thankful that my dog doesn't mind going on long walks. It would be nice if she didn't get distracted so easily, but I know that's not easy for boxers. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to curb this? I've already got a good collar for her, but she gets distracted more than once on a walk and that's it for her. She gets all sorts of worked up especially if it's another dog.

ECKS! I cooked a duck! I did render some of the fat from the skin near the neck area while the duck was roasting. The leftover fat in the roasting dish was also gathered. Whatever I couldn't get off the skin neck I ate and shared some with Roxy. Gabi cooked her own dinner of beef quesadilla. I keep forgetting that she doesn't know recipes right off the top of her head, lol. She was trying to get me to help her season by giving her the recipe for the seasoning. I didn't want to buy the store stuff because it usually has extra stuff in it. We have plenty of what she needs at home. I think maybe the challenge is going to get her to cook. This could be a huge step in the right direction.

Tues April 16
    Meal 1: 2 apple chicken sausages
    Meal 2: 1 leftover burger and some salad with homemade dressing
    Snack: Liverwurst
    Meal 3 didn't really happen because while I was waiting on the duck, I ate some liverwurst and tasted some of the jelly from the lid of the new jelly that I bought for Gabi's sandwiches. I did eat some of the (okay maybe the whole top section) skin from the duck. Roxy probably ate more duck last night than I did. I didn't want to eat too much before going to the gym.
    Exercise: Morning and evening dog walk, one walk around the work building, and weight training at the gym.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    I vote you get yourself a prize if you win Even if you aren't competitive. A nice steak or something Know the feeling. I'm not competitive either, and my family goes crazy trying to get me to play boardgames. I just get bored! There's some game called Catalan or something. I know, Catalan is a place, but it's something like that. Anyway, I played it once and spent my time getting sheep. I wasn't appreciated. I think sheep were low on the totem pole or something. And then, there's Monopoly. I like the railroads and don't care about anything else!

Teaching Gabi basic cooking skills sounds good. When my younger son turned 15, I started giving him his portion of the food money so he could experiment. He's always loved cooking. He's been doing it ever since and loves it. And he got a good idea of budgeting. Of course, it could backfire if Gaby spent her portion on sweet things!
    Last edited by lopisheep; 04-17-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    Think about the feel of looser shirts
    Keep it simple
    Eat really tasty food

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Isn't the part of boxers where they get distracted what makes them so cute? Innate curiosity or something. Bet it's hard if you're trying to run forward though. Or if they tangle you in the leash. Hmm!
    Think about the feel of looser shirts
    Keep it simple
    Eat really tasty food

Page 68 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast