Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you eat these veggie chips? page

@lex is offline Senior Member

Would you eat these veggie chips?

My girl bought a bag of sensible portions natural veggie chips today, and I decided to give them a try. The ingredients are: Potato flour, sunflower oil, tomato puree, spinach powder, sugar, and salt. As far as I can tell they're baked and not fried (though I could be wrong) and they have a light taste which goes well with the haddock I'm having for dinner. I know some of you folks are highly against something like sunflower oil, but would you eat these as an occasional treat/ side dish? Personally, I'm not afraid of a little veggie oil now and then, but would never go back to consuming the equivalent of gallons of the stuff a year like I was on a SAD type diet.

activia is offline Senior Member
    If you want a few go for it, but count it as your 20% I wouldnt eat them on a regular basis, however I must admit that I did buy them once myself more for my husband to show him he could eat veggies as chips (he did, but I havent bought them since)...now one day I'll get around to making my own.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    If you want a few go for it, but count it as your 20% I wouldnt eat them on a regular basis, however I must admit that I did buy them once myself more for my husband to show him he could eat veggies as chips (he did, but I havent bought them since)...now one day I'll get around to making my own.
    I had a small bowl of them with some haddock for dinner just for a change. I agree, I wouldn't eat them on a regular basis simply because they don't offer much in the way of nutrition and so on. They're tastier and a good deal healthier than something coated in chemical seasonings and so on, but they're still empty calories.

Hmm yeah the ones I had were actual veggies like.. yellow squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, zucchini... white potatoes have some nutrients but not too many...
    Primal since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Hmm yeah the ones I had were actual veggies like.. yellow squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, zucchini... white potatoes have some nutrients but not too many...
    I imagine taking some veggies and pureeing them, then adding a bit of potato flour and baking them with a bit of olive oil would make for something tasty. There might be something to using a food dehydrator to make something similar as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    I imagine taking some veggies and pureeing them, then adding a bit of potato flour and baking them with a bit of olive oil would make for something tasty. There might be something to using a food dehydrator to make something similar as well.
    Or just thin slicing them and frying them in coconut oil or lard/tallow.
    Primal since March 2011

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Might as well be potato chips to be honest. The nutritional value is about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Might as well be potato chips to be honest. The nutritional value is about the same.
    They're basically potato chips minus a couple ingredients like chemical seasonings and so on. Not primal or healthy as a staple food, but I posted this to see how many people would completely avoid these due to the sunflower oil. Personally, a little grain and so on doesn't bother me because I'd rather not develop OCD over my food, but I know others avoid these things like the plague.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    No probably not. I would eat rice crackers before I'd eat potato starch personally. Why not google sweet potato chip?

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yuo, I eat regular crisps here and there, because I think the mental stress of caring about a few grams of vegetable oil too often is worse than the oil itself. And I supplement anyway. It's what the 20% is about. But vegetable crisps are better than regylar crisps, good shout.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast