Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's like that Caveman diet, with Cheese on top . . . . page 2

Primal Fuel
    The stomach bug strikes again. I was fine all weekend but this morning I tossed my breakfast less than ten minutes after eating. I got hungry around four hours later, but waited a full six hours before I did more than sip water. According to my coworkers who brought this bug into the office and shared it with me, it is a two-phase flu and this is the end phase. So I hope to feel better tomorrow.

I am having some burning in the bladder area, and I really hope this isn't a UTI. Or that it is a UTI, and not IC. My mother has IC and every time anything seems off about my pee or my bladder, I tend to panic. Sooooo do not want to go through what she goes through, but modern "science" tells her it is 1. incurable, 2. unpreventable, and 3. hereditary. Well, scr*w that noise! I cried a little on Dearheart's shoulder and he said, "Primal is going so well for us, if you want to eat the IC diet -- I'm there!" So I know I have his support. I haven't for-sure decided to try the IC diet, but like he said, Primal is going so well, it's not going to be that much of a leap to go to IC.

Thank God for Bone Broth; I'm going to need it today.

I'm a little behind on journalling. I've been under the weather and just didn't feel motivated. Fortunately, I can report that I stayed on the wagon, just didn't document it.

I've been working on the path to doing a pullup. So far . . . I can barely even do a flexed-arm hang. I know that slow negatives will build up the muscles to allow pullups someday, but now I am so puny I can't even manage those. Sad. But I keep trying.

Dearheart saw me installing the pullup bar and said, "Hey, I used to be able to do about 20 pullups. Wonder if I still can?" And then he attempted one, and was VIVIDLY reminded about his cracked rib. I banished him from the room and told him not to even LOOK at the pullup bar until his rib has healed. Goober!

I have also been working on my goal of learning to like avacado. So, at work we have a salad bar. The lettuce/spinach mix is pretty good but the other salad topping options are pretty lame. To round out my meals, I usually try to bring in about two cups of steamed veggies and a cup of meat and mayo salad (tuna salad, chicken salad, etc . . .). Friday, I noticed that the salad bar offerings that day included guacamole. So, I decided to give it a try and I plopped about two tablespoons on my salad along with everything else. Then I tossed it all together with my homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing and . . . .I didn't hate the guacamole. Even the chunky bits where I KNEW I was eating an avacado, it didn't taste bad to me.

Next week, if there is still guacamole on the salad bar, I will try a bigger portion.

So, in the News Today. I have a UTI. This is both bad and good news. Bad News for all the usual reasons, but Good News because of my family history.

My mother has Interstitial Cystitis. According to her doctors it is 1. Incurable, 2. Hereditary, and 3. Unpreventable. Therefore I tend to panic when I feel that something is not quite right down there.

When the doctor told me the test results shows infection markers I almost jumped for joy.

I sometimes get frustrated, "I've been primal for almost two months, how can I NOT be healthy?!?!" But I have to remember I abused my body with grains for almost eight years. It will take a while.

The funny thing about the doctor's visit is that the doc told me he theorized my UTI was kicked off by last week's stomach virus. He said, when your digestive system is out of whack, you get overloaded with bacteria and . . . the rest of what he said was drowned out by my inner-amusement. He almost sounded like a Grok. I actually wanted to ask him if he had heard of the Primal Diet. But I decided just to nod and smile and promise him I would take probiotics.

Drinking parsley tea right now. My herb books tell me it's good for Urinary tract health. I happen to have enormous amounts of parsley in the garden. The tea tastes like, well, parsley. Which is a good taste, but odd for a drink.
    Last edited by MarieCalledGia; 03-24-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Enjoying reading your journal. Good luck with knocking that UTI on its butt.
    You might want to try a different coconut oil. Some types, depending on level of refinement, have no coconut taste at all. And you can make a lovely 2 parts coconut oil, 1 part chocolate thing (from Winencandy's journal, check it out) which is a great way of getting more fat into you, if that's a difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Enjoying reading your journal. Good luck with knocking that UTI on its butt.
    You might want to try a different coconut oil. Some types, depending on level of refinement, have no coconut taste at all. And you can make a lovely 2 parts coconut oil, 1 part chocolate thing (from Winencandy's journal, check it out) which is a great way of getting more fat into you, if that's a difficulty.
    Thanks for stopping by Sabine. Is there a coconut oil brand that you recommend? Currently, I am trying to use up a lot of beef fat I skimmed from my bone broth. Is it really necessary to skim it, or can I just mix it in? But anyway, I have so much beef fat that I'll be frying eggs in that for about the next month . . .

I will look for that coco-chocolate recipe! I sometimes have trouble getting enough fats. I guess it all depends on your idea of enough . . . I have been concerned because no matter how hard I try, I CANNOT be interested in food after I've had 1500 calories. I'm just not that hungry. I thought something was wrong with me, but I read over in the She-Groks thread that a lot of other women also hover around 1500 and they are not under-eating. So, I stopped worrying about how many grams of fill-in-the-blank I was eating and decided just to look at percentages. I'm at about 30% fat most days . . . I feel pretty good there. I think when I get over my various illnesses and start exercising agressively, I will need to step up my fat to about 50% - - and I'll definitely be slamming the coconut and chocolate.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    The coconut oil I use is Tree of Life Organic Refined Coconut Oil. On the label it says: Expeller Pressed - Mild Taste - For Medium High Heat. I am slowly begining to enjoy the taste of shredded coconut and might try a more coconutty oil someday, but this is to me, nice and flavorless.
    I only got a few of the last batch of coco-chocolates I made, because my daughters discovered them and thought they were the bomb.

So I've been pretty lazy about updating the journal here. Life got very busy and the last thing I felt like doing most days was recite my meals.

exercise has been brief -- except for fencing practice. I seem to get tired really fast when I try to do pushups or squats, but fencing carries enough adrenaline to keep me moving.

I'm very very tired these days. I *think* the problem is that I am not getting enough sleep at night. Dearheart has been snoring a lot - and while normally I tell him to roll over and that solves the problem, since he tore his rotator cuffs in both shoulders, he has to sleep on his back and I have to stay awake until there are only 6 possible sleep-hours left. Meanwhile, Dog 3 has been waking up very early in the morning and --I swear to god -- yodeling at us. I am starting to examine the possibility of calling in "sick" to work, so I can just sleep.

Now in the good side of things -- My teeth are whiter. No, really, they are! It's the weirdest thing . . . All my life I've been told the color of your teeth depends on whether you smoke/drink coffee/drink tea, etc. I am drinking just as much coffee and tea as ever . . . but in the past month I've noticed a dramatic whitening of my teeth. What the hey?

Weight has stabilized around 125. Speaking of weight, the other weird thing I'm noticing is that although my MEASUREMENTS are the SAME in all the usual places, my clothes fit differently. I look thinner. Did my posture change? What the hey, again!

I finally demanded that Sweetheart stop watching TV in the bedroom and let me go to sleep 8 hours before I am supposed to wake up. I felt so much healthier today, it's not even funny. I'm now ready to do battle every night, if that's what it takes to allow me to be healthy.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Hi Marie! I'm just south of you in our great state!! Nice to see another Texan!

Welcome to the primal world! I wish you much success with your goals! Your current weight is 6 more pounds than my goal weight!! I have a long long way to go. But its ok...I'll get there.

A suggestion on your sweethearts snoring...my honey snores too...& sometimes I have to use earplugs. They're cheap & help me tune him out. Sometimes I will use my ipod or iphone & listen to soft music. The earplugs are great because I can focus on my breathing & I'm generally out like a light in no time. Just a suggestion.

I love your avatar! I love Puss....in Boots!! My favorite character from Shrek.

again...welcome & good luck!!
    SW-211
    CW-209

Goal: Don't worry be happy!

motherofgods is offline Junior Member
    Hello Marie! Hope you don't mind me poking my nose into your journal.

My husband used to snore horribly too and for most of our married life I either slept in another room or spent the whole night wrestling with him, trying to turn him on his side. Then he was diagnosed with wheat allergy and his snoring practically stopped overnight, after eliminating all wheat from our foodlist. And since converting to the Primal way of eating I sometimes even forget that he is sleeping on the same bed beside me!
    Reclaiming my waistline: inch by inch

Thanks for the suggestion, Cajun. I try earplugs every now and then but I have really really narrow ear canals. Maybe I need to make my own earplugs from cotton balls . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast