Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, you MUST eat fat! page 3

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

hoyt,

My crazy hypothesis is that if you have an adequate intake of dietary fat, your body "knows" that it's safe to let go of its stores.

For those who lose body fat while eating above maintenance level calories, maybe in this way the fat doesn't need to be burned for energy but can be released nonetheless through other hormonal activity.

(not a biologist)

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member

i agree most people underestimate the amount of fat they need! that was my problem when i started a couple of weeks ago, and it set me up for a big binge!

Now i know to add fat to everything!

eating veggies? put some butter/olive oil on them

Cooking chicken? Bake it with coconut oil (this makes the skin taste amazing!)

I have even began taking a liking to olive oil over the rocks! Its not that bad actually!

Charentais Guest

Good thread, Mr. Griff.

Initially it was tough for me to wrap my brain around the "fat is good" maxim.

It really goes against the grain, so-to-speak.

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member

It's such a crazy idea- eat fat! I have been adding coconut oil to my foods, eating chicken skin with my chicken (as opposed to the skinless/ boneless), etc and you know- I'm really starting to feel different.

I've also been tracking on fit daily.

I am good with calories, I actually consume a lot less than I thought I was and think this might be why my weight wasn't leaving- eating too less.

So, this week, much more fat- I feel better. I'm nervous to step on the scale, but man is the difference in how I feel amazing. One day I had more protein, less fat and sure enough, didn't feel as energized..........strange. So different that Dr. Furhman- program I was following.

primal pete is offline Senior Member

I just ate bacon and eggs...and I had this booming voice in the back of my head yelling "EAT THE FAT!!" after reading this

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

@hoyt22

I believe that theory is, when you eat fat, your body cranks up the fat-burning apparatus, the enzymes and all that. So it can also burn your own fat.

It does sound weird.

@BarbeyGirl

You have that lamb, don't you? It's usually nice and fat. I'm lucky, I have two friends who each keep a few sheep, and I get a lamb each from them every year. The Churro is a little tougher than the regular breed, but with slow cooking it's just as good. I ask for the organ meat, and the other customers don't so I get their liver, heart, and kidneys as well as those from my own lamb. I like the heart best, but I know the liver has the best stuff in it. I can manage the liver with something like horseradish, or onions sauteed in butter or coconut oil, or pepper sauce, and the liver practically raw but warm -- sizzled on both sides, but the center not done. The texture is nicer than really cooked, which I don't like.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

@hoyt

The reason that fat is good is because it is the cleanest fuel. If you have carbs you will have a higher insulin which will reduce the time you can burn fat. If you have protein for fuel it will convert to glucose and then it will raise insulin which will reduce the time you can burn fat.

It is important to have enough fuel and the right fuel is fat.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

@PianoDoc -- True, true. I do raise lamb (grass-fed, of course) and slaughter a couple per year. But alas, the other meats I consume are mostly conventional.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

@BarbeyGirl

Homegrown lamb is certainly a good start! I love it, and it's safe to eat extremely rare, which I prefer except for the tough cuts.

I lucked out with the piano customer who keeps Churro sheep. The family also raises one steer a year, and a hog or two. The beef she sold me is fantastic, and she promised me some pork next year. She treated the beef pricing in an interesting way. Instead of a price per pound for the whole thing, which isn't fair to the people who don't get the choice cuts, she went to the supermarket and wrote down their price for each cut of meat, then sold hers for the same price (only of course it's five times as good, and grassfed.)

You could look for local meat sources, avoiding the supermarkets, at Local Harvest. I note in my own area that there are a couple of places where I can get acorn-fed pork, for instance, and goose in season.

http://www.localharvest.org/

Prices might be higher than hobby farmers with a few head of cattle or sheep charge, but it's good to keep local diverse farms in business, and the quality is superior.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member

@hoyt22 - the reason your body looses fat on a high fat diet is probably because of futile cycles.Work is being done, but nothing achieved except excess energy is released as heat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futile_cycle

Also, this article explains alot of the metabolism and how it works. Recommendend read: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...lly-criti.html

Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast