Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic Agave Nectar as a Sweetener Option? page

xandra73 is offline Junior Member

Question Organic Agave Nectar as a Sweetener Option?

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering if you could post a blog about Agave Nectar and on whether it is on level with the Primal Blueprint or not. My brother and I have been discussing sweeteners lately. I say Agave would be better than Stevia because there have been studies that have shown negative male reproductive side effects from eating Stevia. Yet he thinks that Agave Nectar wouldn't be as good as Stevia. Can you help us out and explain it a bit further.

Drea6681 is offline Senior Member
    I have heard that the processing required for Agave nectar makes it just as poisonous as HFCS. I stay away form it.
    SW175ish GW140 CW157

height 5'6"

Official for real start date 1/10/12

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    yep agave is not good.
    There is info out there, just google.

xandra73 is offline Junior Member
    Yet the alcohol version (I.e. Tequila) would be ok? How does that make sense. It's why I would like Mark to comment on it.

What do you two do for sweeteners (if any?) For say primal style baked goods, coffee, yogurt, etc. Only honey?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Agave nectar is worse than HFCS- look at the fructose(what you really want to avoid) percentages.

It's best to start with no sweetners, then add them in one your diet is stabilized.

Raw honey and stevia are as good as it gets, health wise.

I'll use sugar way before agave nectar.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I don't.
    I rarely bake for my children, and if I do, it might be date balls, but that's as far as sweeteners go )
    Honey makes me feel extremely sick.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xandra73 View Post
    Yet the alcohol version (I.e. Tequila) would be ok? How does that make sense. It's why I would like Mark to comment on it.

What do you two do for sweeteners (if any?) For say primal style baked goods, coffee, yogurt, etc. Only honey?
    Alcohol is made by converting the sugar, meaning it's no longer a problem. Same reason whiskey can be ok. Neither is ideal for someone trying to lose weight.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Pure stevia like this is what I personally use when I want something sweetened, but a bit of Raw honey is your next best option.

But your best bet is to ditch the idea that things need to be sweetened and start to enjoy all the flavors of real food. Pretty soon you'll appreciate just how sweet fruit is and anything more will be gross or unappealing.

Drea6681 is offline Senior Member
    yeah I do no sweetener (the occasional Splenda ONLY if the coffee I am drinking is unpalletable)
    SW175ish GW140 CW157

height 5'6"

Official for real start date 1/10/12

Owly is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Honey, maple syrup (the real stuff), fruit (dates, bananas, applesauce, etc.). All used in small quantities, much less than would be to the tastes of the average SAD eater. You're best off getting adapted to less sweet foods--ditch the sugar in coffee, put berries in your yogurt, and so on.

I would advise keeping away from paleo baking until you get the hang of basic primal eating because it's too easy to get in the habit of eating loads of substitutes for SAD baked goods and such, which is not a good idea if you're trying to lose weight. Primal junk food is still junk food, even if the ingredients are cleaner, and it's easy to eat too much of that stuff if you're not careful.

I use stevia now and then, but I find it has a funny taste, so I've had the same little bottle of liquid stevia in my cupboard for about two years now. I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners in general.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast