Thread: Approaching 50..better late than never page

Scott FM is offline Junior Member

Approaching 50..better late than never

Shop Now
    Hi eveyone. I'm Scott and I live in the Dallas 'burbs

I guess I am starting this a bit late , but at least the thread starts on a positive note.

I began going primal on October 4, 2011. That morning I weighed in at 235 pounds on a 5’ 9” frame.
    I found that none of my clothes fit well, I was having problems with my knees (including the one with the rebuilt ACL), difficulty tying my own shoes and was mortified to see myself in photos. I avoided reflective surfaces like a vampire. When I looked at the scale that morning I decided: enough.

At 49 years old, I was heading or disaster.

Previously, changes in diet worked for me but over the last few years, shedding weight had become a task. A few pounds lost were quickly replaced and often I gained even more. Curiously I was getting more exercise than I had in a very long time and still was gaining weight. The typical tale.

One of my co-workers is a former militaryofficer and has been primal for some time. Two other co-workers were already on the program and making good, steady progress towards healthy goals. I decided to give it a try.

I’m not 100% primal but the lifestyle change works for me. I survived the Holidays and found new and better ways to prepare great tasting foods…even the holiday stuff. The wife and kids are not completely engaged as I am but join me for the good stuff: Salmon, grilled meats, roasted vegetables, salads, full fat yogurt, etc. I found that changes in preparation have actually made certain foods even better.
    I travel a lot so it's not always easy to stick to a regimen but I've become better at it as I progress. If people only knew how easy it is to get even some of the chain restaurants to accomodate those who don't consume grains or sugars. In a pinch, I stop at a grocery store and get sliced turkey, aged cheese, olives and fruit.

Progress to date (3/14/12):
    Starting weight: 235 lbs.
    Current weight: 208 lbs.
    Intermediate goals: 200 lbs. by 4/15
    Longer term goal: 185 lbs. by summer
    Pluses:
    No heartburn at all in 6 months! None..zero.
    My clothes fit better, I’m lighter on my feet, I can spar 6 rounds without getting completely winded, increased core strength, getting better sleep, and have much better mojo…

Best to everyone and thanks for your inspiration and support

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    Awesome Scott! Way to go! Keep it up!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

rccrsphil is offline Senior Member
    I love reading stories like this! Keep the momentum!

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Ah, to be 50 again! I started in February of 2011 at 63, lost 20+ lbs. in 6 months (back to my normal 100 lbs.) and haven't felt this good since my 30s.

I know it's hard to keep up when you're traveling but give it your best shot. It's so worth the trouble (and occasional fast when there's truly nothing decent to eat) to feel this good.

Scott FM is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Ah, to be 50 again! I started in February of 2011 at 63, lost 20+ lbs. in 6 months (back to my normal 100 lbs.) and haven't felt this good since my 30s.

I know it's hard to keep up when you're traveling but give it your best shot. It's so worth the trouble (and occasional fast when there's truly nothing decent to eat) to feel this good.
    It's funny you should mention fasting...as of late, I find that my body runs better on a substantial breakfast, a light meal to tide me over (or fasting) and a moderate meal early evening. My body is full faster and I've passed my current plateau.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Good for you.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    great to hear!
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I went primal about 6 months before turning 50. It was the best thing I ever did. For about 1 1/2 years I did the 80/20 thing, in January the husband and I went pretty much 100% primal. I see a huge difference in my joints, my body really feels 20 years younger. You are lucky to have co-workers that are primal, it really helps to have support.