Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underweight carb-loving 9 year old. Would appreciate some Paleo insights page

Borderbag is offline Junior Member

Underweight carb-loving 9 year old. Would appreciate some Paleo insights

Shop Now
    Hi,
    I just switched to a Paleo diet about 3 weeks ago, and have to say, the results have blown me away. More energy, back pain gone, have lost 9 pounds so far, and am never hungry. Convinced my wife to take it up as well, and she is equally sold. The results so far have been nothing short of incredible.

Here's my question: I have an underweight 9 year old who lives for grain-based carbs... He lives for macaroni and cheese, spaghetti noodles, potatoes, etc., hates vegetables (what kid doesn't?), isn't crazy about fruit, and is just ho-hum about meat and eggs.

He's mostly a happy, energetic 9 year old, but has always had sleep problems, and big mood crashes (always when his blood sugar is tanking). Load him up with carbs and he's bouncing off the walls again.

Having read most of Sisson's books now, I'm now suspecting that it's potentially his diet (heavy grain-based, highly processed carbs) that may be causing the sleep issues, mood crashes, and failure to put on weight.

I'm obviously familiar with diets high in bad carbs causing obesity -- but has anyone heard of the opposite... Diets heavy in bad carbs resulting in troubles GAINING weight? My theory (probably ignorant and based on intuition only) is that a diet heavy in bad carbohydrates may be causing a lack of full nutrient absorption in the stomach, which subsequently may be a cause of sleep issues, failure to gain weight and so on.

I'm thinking very seriously about some major diet modifications here to see if it might help, so any insights from this illustrious group would be much appreciated.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Yes actually gluten can cause failure to thrive issues because of leaky gut problems. This causes nutrient mal-absoprtion which limits growth. There is also a huge connection between the gut and the brain, which is why so many mental issues are linked to gluten. So his diet is most certainly affecting his behavior as well.
    Last edited by activia; 03-14-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

failure to thrive = underweight in children
    Primal since March 2011

It's a pretty serious epidemic going on right now in America. Its the perfect storm... wheat contains 30% more gluten then it did 30 years ago... people are eating way more gluten and its not "traditionally" prepared then they were... There are estimates that between 30-70% of the population is gluten sensitive.. We wont really know until more people get tested and the tests get better at detecting it.
    Watch this;
    Dr. Tom O'Bryan - Identifying & Conquering Gluten Sensitivity - YouTube
    Primal since March 2011

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    It definitely sounds like you're on to something. I have three children and am steering them towards a paleo lifestyle. I recently found that they love paleo pancakes. There are many recipes out there but we usually go super simple and mix almond butter with eggs. Make sure to make them on the small side because they're hard to flip without a gooey mess. Even my really picky 12 year old vegetarian daughter is now eating scrambled eggs, so there is hope. Experiment to figure out what he does like and build on that. My girls also like sweet potatoes a lot and didn't mind paleo pizza with a cauliflower crust.

Another way that I try to sneak stuff in is through smoothies. I add greens and protein powder. Also, make sure he's getting good fats like coconut oil and real pastured butter.
    Last edited by wendyland; 03-14-2012 at 12:20 PM.

kelhous is offline Junior Member
    Check this out, from a couple of weeks ago...My Son is Growing! | Mark's Daily Apple

Now the challenge, as I see it, is limiting the grains. I took the approach with my daughter (4) that I wouldn't offer grains unless she asked specifically, then I would try to limit the damage to the "least damaging" category..rice, quinoa, etc. She voluntarily gave up bread when I switched her to some naturally fermented rye bread (which she used to like, strangely). She prefers rice crackers, which I slather with butter. She gets gluten-free noodles, mostly. (I am celiac, so this wasn't something weird for her. She's been getting them off and on for some time.) I do not limit her carbs, but sugar is severely restricted (but not forbidden!). She gets the primal stuff-meat and veg-at dinner and lunch, with carbs from fruit or the rice stuff during the day. We have been primal for three months, and she's just decided she doesn't like potatoes any more. Well, except for oven-fries. :-) She's little still, and muscle meats are hard for her to physically chew, so she gets a fair share of ground meat dishes, as well as the occasional sausage. I can't say I have seen huge changes in her sleep habits (she's not a good sleeper) but she has always been the kid who had to eat RIGHT NOW, even when she was a tiny baby, and I feel like she has gotten much more tolerant--I think she doesn't get that sugar-crash-hunger-emergency that she used to get. I still carry emergency rations in my purse, but I have honestly not needed them for a very long time.

Anyway, I think there is a good chance that a dietary shake-up could help your son. I think the hardest part will be implementing it in a compassionate way so you don't get too much push-back. As he feels better, you may find that he naturally avoids the foods that bother him.

Good luck!

Kelly

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I don't really have any advice, but I'll be following this thread for suggestions and info as well.
    My 4 kids went Primal when hubs and I did- January 2nd, 2012. My oldest (almost 10) has always been super skinny and pretty weak. I don't limit my kids clean carbs- they are growing and heaven knows they will use them. They have been great about nixing the grains completely (except occasional white rice or quinoa), and we severely limit refined sugars. I make sure they get plenty of fat and protein as well, and they love veggies. I am also hoping that my son will put on some weight. He is already more active and vital than ever. He's getting stronger for sure, and plays longer and harder without getting tired. We have gone months without serious illnesses and almost no colds. I've also noticed he is more confident- that is great for a mama to see!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Borderbag is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the insights and advice! I think we have a big diet reassessment in our future. Next thing I have to bone up on is how to transition a child from a junk diet to a healthy diet...

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    keep offering the good stuff and he will eat eventually

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I would work on healing his gut and only offer paleo foods. It is super hard at first for them and us, but it is really worth it in the end. My kids never put on weight but they are really thriving. If I ever slip and give them non paleo foods they are behavioral messes along with a laundry list of other symptoms.

My kids are the most amazingly well behaved children I have ever seen and others are always saying the same to me. It is all their diet (and a loving home of course). I see other kids and hear people talk about behaviors that annoy them but they see as just "normal" things kids do that we all have to live with. IT IS NOT NORMAL. Kids should be calm, happy and have attention spans equal to an adult. I don't discipline my children to get good behavior out of them, they just feel good and so they act good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast