Thread: Buckwheat?? page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

Buckwheat??

Primal Fuel
    Just read this and wonder what the thoughts were of others.

"The carbohydrates in buckwheat don't have the same insulin-raising, fat storing effects, so it doesn't cause the spikes in blood sugar that make you crave fattening foods and gain weight."

Carbs in Buckwheat are quite high though so cant see that they would be any different?

(btw Buckwheat is not a grain but actually a fruit!)
    Last edited by Rattybag; 03-14-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I use whole buckwheat soaked overnight in yogurt to make pancakes every Saturday.

It's not "blessed" by paleo/primal, but it's part of my 20%. And it's also gluten free and delicious.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I don't go there. I assume it contains physic acid and that's a killer for me.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Never had it, but am curious...

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Starch is starch. You are right ratty, there's nothing special or different about the carbs in buckwheat.

I tried eating buckwheat last June and something in it gave me interstitial cystitis 3 days into eating it. This was the first attack after several years of eating gluten free. I suspect it was the high phytic acid. All I know is that it doesn't work for me. It tasted nice though and I started craving it which is a sure sign that my immune system was reacting to something in it that raised my pulse and body temperature.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Mark has an article about it, generally recommending against it. But, if you really want a bit of grain, I think both buckwheat and millet are in the same category as the white rice & potatoes, quonoa and beans - after a huge workout, as a starch load and a treat.

For me it is a treat, because I grew up eating buckwheat, millet, rice etc for breakkie with milk and sugar, the way you have oatmeal here (we had oatmeal too, but it was my least fav hot cereal).

Overall though, if you don't have it & don't crave it, I would not buy it and start using it. You are better off with veggies as your sides. Weaning off grains is a good idea, plus buckwheat is horribly expensive here.

If you do eat it, I suggest roasting & soaking the groats before cooking them, like you would with rice. It will bring out the flavour, improve texture and might help with the antinutrients.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    I don't go there. I assume it contains physic acid and that's a killer for me.
    That's why I soak it in yogurt, then rinse the yogurt off.