Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice cream experience--kind of cool page

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member

Ice cream experience--kind of cool

Shop Now
    So the other night I had a pint of Ben & Jerry's, because it was Sunday and I felt like a treat. It was delicious btw.

Monday I got up and felt pretty normal except for a slight lower-GI discomfort, probably from the big dose of sugar and dairy the night before. A trip to the bathroom fixed that right up. Anyway, I'm interested in what happened that day. I had my coffee as usual, and brought some to work in a thermos. I usually eat late, around noon at the earliest, but as the day went by I found I had absolutely no interest in food. I was working on a project and told myself "I'll go to lunch when I'm done with this", but when I was done it was 2PM and food just sounded totally unnecessary--not abhorrent, I just felt no need whatsoever to eat. This continued until about 6PM, at which point I started feeling the first grumblings of hunger, a good 6 hours after I would normally feel like eating. I didn't get home until 7PM, and I was still only mildly hungry, so I decided to get a workout in before I made dinner. My workout felt great (3 circuits of: handstand pushups x6, pistol squats +10lbs x6, chinups x8, tuck jumps +10lbs x10). It ended up being about 8PM before I had anything to eat at all--I had only had water and coffee with a few ounces of cream the whole day.

The amazing part to me is not that I could fast that long--I've done 36-hour fasts before without too much trouble, and this was only about 24 hours. What really got me was that my body did this on its own, presumably in response to eating really big the night before. The way I figure it, the ice cream was an additional ~1200 kcal of mostly sugar and fat on top of a day where I had already had ~2500 kcal from mixed meat and starch sources. It was not a workout day, so I was definitely over-maintenance, pushing 3700 kcal for the day.

But then I spontaneously fasted for a day and only took in about 1500 kcal in my one meal yesterday, which averages to 2600 kcal over two days, which is probably close to maintenance.

I just love how... fully functional my body is now. I have to worry so much less. I won't be repeating the experience regularly, since ice cream is obviously still not good for me in large amounts, but it's so good to know that I can handle the occasional abuse, and my metabolism will just... respond, in a way that is totally painless and seems to compensate for my behavior to some degree.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

chia is offline Senior Member
    put a frozen banana in the food processor, add a touch of peanut butter....a tbsp of organic, dark chocolate chips.....mix until it looks like ice cream...honestly, it's damn good...as a treat now and then...... :-)

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    That sounds amazing actually. Once I get a processor I'll definitely try it.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    I've had the same ice cream experience too(only hagen daaz), and it is pretty cool how the body reacts. Amazing how elimination of toxins in our bodies can have such a huge effect on how quickly we recover. Good on you Uncephalized:-)

p.s. no guilt either...WHOOOHOO!

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chia View Post
    put a frozen banana in the food processor, add a touch of peanut butter....a tbsp of organic, dark chocolate chips.....mix until it looks like ice cream...honestly, it's damn good...as a treat now and then...... :-)
    Oh. My. God. I'm so going to try that.

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chia View Post
    I usually do frozen banana, coconut milk, and cocoa. Delicious! I find that the coconut milk adds a creaminess and keeps your body on a fat burning train.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the flexible metabolism club. I can go fine on all starch and no fat, all fat and no starch or no food at all. A 24 hour fast is a joke. One of these days I'm going to do a 48 hour just to try it.

This is a good post because it's evidence of what should be your Primal goals - not just a good fat metabolism, but also a good glucose metabolism and the ability to function on no food at all. So many Primals eat high fat/low carb they're insulin resistant and crash after any carbs or sugar.

This is also a nice image of sugar. Wheat is inherently toxic. Soy is inherently toxic. Beans are inherently toxic. They are loaded with anti-nutrients, harmful proteins and irritants to dissuade you from eating them. Sugar isn't. Sugar is toxic when you consume too much, but in and of itself it isn't. So, I get frustrated when I see people are scared to put a teaspoon of sugar in their coffee because of "carbs" but they'll put half a stick of butter in it. What?? It's coffee - I don't put sugar OR butter in my coffee. I put a drop of heavy cream because I like it and a few drops of pure stevia extract to take the edge off, and that's it. Sometimes I drink it jet black without a drop of cream or sweetener.

The end result - eat real food. But, a treat here and there won't be harmful unless you have some severe intolerance (casein allergy, celiac, etc). Be logical. A teaspoon or two of sugar in your coffee is okay, but 12 tablespoons like the average American is not okay. A tablespoon of cream in your coffee or searing your steak in a little butter is great. 80g of butter in your morning coffee - not so great. And a pint of Ben and Jerry's once a month the night before a big workout? You'll survive, and it could even help you! Eat well and enjoy life.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ss14 is offline Member
    How long before bed did you eat the ice cream?

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Sounds almost more like you created a need to fast than eating late enabling you to fast. I think fasting shouldn't be forced by creating a need, it should come naturally by the purely out of the need for good health, not out of the need to compensate for the effects of treating the body like craps. I can do exactly what you guys are talking about, and I have recently, but my stomach does not quite feel right, and no matter what you guys want to believe, long term damage to proteins does occur. Plus, some pints of Ben and Jerry's have up to 50 grams of sugar, thats not anywhere close to moderation.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    And a pint of Ben and Jerry's whenever you feel like it? You'll survive, and it could even help you! Eat well and enjoy life.
    Fixed that for ya.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast