Thread: Raw Milk Cheese. In Superstore. Yay! page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Raw Milk Cheese. In Superstore. Yay!

Primal Fuel
    Well, I had a craving for cheese that I decided to indulge (yeah, yeah, bad me), and was browsing the shelves trying to find cheese without calcium chloride, and colorants, and here it was, in the sea of 'pasteurized, pasteurized, pasteurized' - Le Superba Emmental and Gryere in Superstore, in Canada, made from raw milk, at least as far as the package can be believed. Apparently, cheeses are allowed to be made from raw milk here unlike just milk (which is illegal), and it surely brightened my day. Great treat once in a while & I am looking forward to finding more options.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-14-2012 at 05:51 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Emseven is offline Member
    Good to know! I'm in Ontario, and was under the impression that raw cheeses were not allowed, either. (I often sneak them back from Quebec.) I'll look for that one.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Most imported Swiss cheeses should be raw That's why I love Swiss so much...

I became so enthused about the concept that I made a quick search and came up with this:

About Us : Cheese, Canada, Canadian Cheese, Springbank Cheese Co.

They carry Quebec Organic Raw Milk Cheddar. I think I am going to explore local cheese scene some more, lol! For a once in a while treat, one might as well go gourmet.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-14-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Raw milk cheese is pretty easy to find in Alberta. You can get the Ancetre cheeses from Quebec at a lot of stores, plus there are some amazing cheeses from Sylvan Star--they have a couple of cheeses that have won several international awards (wonderful Gouda and Gruyere)--and there are some other good cheese producers around the farmers markets and specialty shops. You can also get various imported raw cheeses.

My understanding is that the Canadian milk laws have an exception for raw milk cheese because of the cheesemaking tradition in Quebec. It's the only way to purchase any raw milk product legally in the country as far as I know.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Thank you for the tips, Owly! Now that I found out about it, I have a super-easy decision on dairy. Raw milk cheese once in a while. Woot!

patski is offline Senior Member
    I've found raw cheese in Whole Foods, some really excellent varieties.

It's just raw milk we can't have :-\
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

You know, on the toss between raw milk and raw cheese, we've might have actually lucked out. I dunno if it is a common knowledge, but I think it would be good to create awareness about it. I had NO clue!

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    This is great, thanks for the heads up! I'm going to check out my local Superstore. Maybe we could get the Swiss to import some raw milk too