Thread: Supplements during IF? page

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I'm new to IF, but I've been doing it a lot lately because I really like how it makes me feel. I'm trying to find out how to squeeze the most out of it in terms of fat burn and energy levels.

For those with lots of IF experience, do you recommend using supplements when fasting, like fish oil or damage control, or do you avoid eating anything at all? Do you alter your water intake as well?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I hear that supplemmenting while fasting technically breaks the fast but I would be interested in hearing what others have to say about it.

Definitely no eating anything that has anything but a minute amount of calores. As for water, I just drink when I'm thirsty...sometimes I use it to mask the occasional twitch of hunger.

Couple an IF with a some tea (usually I go for green) and you'll be flying!

I grok, therefore I am.

Tarlach is offline Member

Supplements are pointless any time, even more so if you are trying to fast (fish oil can quickly add the calories).

You should drink water when you are thirsty (the same as any other time).

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Absolutely do not ingest anything but water during a fast as that completely defeats the purpose of a fast.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

yes, I would just have water. Supplements are best absorbed with food anyways, so its one less thing to worry about during the fast!

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice! I went through my IF without supplements and of course it worked out fine and I felt great.

I did try some green tea around hour 16, though, and "flying" is a good description of the effects.

Underwaterer is offline Junior Member

whatever you do, ladies... don't take a women's one a day on an empty stomach... you will feel extremely nauseated.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

I definitely do not supplement during intermittent fasts. The only thing I consume is water and tea (sometimes coffee if it happens to be on a day where I have to sit through a boring class). During the summer I usually just have water but during the winter it's nice to have something to warm you up a bit, especially since when you are not taking any calories in you get cold more quickly.

Unfortunately, summer here lasts about 3-4 months and winter lasts about 8-9

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/